Antec DF-85 Front Audio Port

BothanJedi

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
I recently built a new computer using the DF-85 full tower chasis. The front audio port doesn't work part of the time and when I plug in headphones I have to twist them in order for the computer to recognize they are there. Any advice on how to fix this problem?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like the FP panel and/or connector could be defective. Make sure both ends of the FP panel cable are firmly connected (to the mobo on one end and to the small circuit board on the bezel where the FP is actually mounted.

ripture

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hello,

I thought I'd revive this thread as it's not too old and I am having the same issue as BothanJedi, though I think he didn't describe his well enough (if, in fact, he is experiencing what I am with this particular case). What's happening is the front panel audio ports aren't accepting jacks fully; the jacks don't "click" in. I haven't taken a look behind the front plate to see how the ports are secured but one of two cases seems to be happening.

1) The front audio ports aren't secured well enough to allow someone to fully insert a jack.
2) The front audio port has too much of a gap between it and the outside of the case, not allowing for a jack to be inserted far enough.

The fact that a google search doesn't show many results for this leads me to believe this is an isolated issue. I will see what I find when I look more closely at the ports later today.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is good information and may prove useful to the OP. Often, the actual FP circuit board is connected via screw or tabs to the front case cover. It may be possible to adjust/tighten the FP assembly to alleviate this problem.

Good luck!

ripture

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
After looking at how Antec did the FP audio on this case, I can say it's just an unfortunate combination of poor design and a *really* tight port. They have a custom-made two-port connector that you really have to try to get jacks into. All that holds it to the front of the case is one screw below the connector. This means that when you try hard (because you have to) to get the jacks in, the ports bend back into the case a little bit, making it impossible to get a solid connection.

Unfortunately, I don't see any real good solution to this. I don't use the front panel mic port as the line carries wayyy too much interference to be useful and I can wiggle the speaker jack and get a good enough connection. I just wonder how long that will last. Other than that, this is a perfect case and I love all of the improvements over the 1200 that I upgraded from.