Sign in with
Your question

Processors for Acer Desktop Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
November 26, 2011 12:57:43 AM

Hello, I have an Acer M5100 Desktop computer that just stop working. No beeps no nothing. Tried replacing the power supply, it's ok. Tried an identical replacement motherboard MB.s8709.001, nothing. It is populated with an Athlon 64 x2 4400+ am2. These processors are a little pricey right now. What other speeds can I put in there? Would an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Dual-core 2000MHz 512KN X@ AM2 work? Or what else?

Thanks

Acer drag
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2011 3:36:08 AM

Before dumping a new processor in it, try other troubleshooting options. For instance, is there power coming out of the outlet? Are all the wires in place and not disconnected from the motherboard? Perhaps it is the PC case button itself that is messed up. Did you test the RAM? Do you have a kit that will allow you to test the electrical connections on the MB?
m
l
November 27, 2011 12:18:28 AM

phyco126 said:
Before dumping a new processor in it, try other troubleshooting options. For instance, is there power coming out of the outlet? Are all the wires in place and not disconnected from the motherboard? Perhaps it is the PC case button itself that is messed up. Did you test the RAM? Do you have a kit that will allow you to test the electrical connections on the MB?

Well, I guess it's my mistake for not explaining the problem fully or clearly enough. I sorry. The power supply works because I unplugged the whole thing from the inside of the computer, shorted the green wire, (you know, the power good wire), to ground. Tested the 5V, 12V, 3.3V, etc.. with my handy Radio Shack DVM. All voltages present on my 28 pin ATX power supply. When plugged in to all it's appropriate connectors and I hit the power switch. The case fan, the CPU heat sink fan, and the SATA hard drive all spin up. When I take out the DDR dimm modules and power it up, I do not get the usual three beeps signifying the lack of Ram. OH, and I think the power outlet works since it is the one I run my monitor, stereo amp, and cassette deck off of, unless there is a special outlet for PCs.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 1:19:41 AM

Okay, well, at this point I would be hesitant at dumping a lot of money on a processor that might not even work anyway (in case its another issue). I did some quick research, and the MB takes 'any' Athlon X2. I say that lightly though, because when the PC came out, that particular processor may not have been out and therefore may still not be compatible. Even if it is, it may still require a BIOS update.

When you turn on the computer, does it show anything on the monitor at all?
m
l
November 27, 2011 8:22:31 PM

phyco126 said:
Okay, well, at this point I would be hesitant at dumping a lot of money on a processor that might not even work anyway (in case its another issue). I did some quick research, and the MB takes 'any' Athlon X2. I say that lightly though, because when the PC came out, that particular processor may not have been out and therefore may still not be compatible. Even if it is, it may still require a BIOS update.

When you turn on the computer, does it show anything on the monitor at all?

No, nothing comes up on the monitor. I have had another person tell me it is rare the a processor goes down, so I will take your advice and still keep considering other possible problems. I do not understand what you mean about the PC coming out at that certain time but the processor not though. I was thinking that if I find the same processor at the right price I could get it and try it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 28, 2011 2:03:18 AM

What I meant, was that just because a processor can fit in the motherboard, it doesn't mean it will work. It might, but no guarantees. For instance, dad's old motherboard was LGA Socket 775, but it wouldn't take any 775 processor. Only older ones, like the P4, E6850, Celeron 1200, etc.... but not the E8400 or Q8XXX or Q9XXX processors, all despite those processors being the same socket size.

In my research, it said any Athlon X2, but that document could have been printed years before the last Athlon X2 was designed, meaning a new Athlon X2 *might* not work. Just something to be cautious of, that is all. :) 
m
l
November 28, 2011 10:29:00 PM

phyco126 said:
What I meant, was that just because a processor can fit in the motherboard, it doesn't mean it will work. It might, but no guarantees. For instance, dad's old motherboard was LGA Socket 775, but it wouldn't take any 775 processor. Only older ones, like the P4, E6850, Celeron 1200, etc.... but not the E8400 or Q8XXX or Q9XXX processors, all despite those processors being the same socket size.

In my research, it said any Athlon X2, but that document could have been printed years before the last Athlon X2 was designed, meaning a new Athlon X2 *might* not work. Just something to be cautious of, that is all. :) 

OK, thanks.
m
l
!