Tags:
  • New Build
  • SATA
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 26, 2011 6:08:49 PM

Hello all,

So I have completed my first build, and successfully made it through POST. The Bios seems to have recognized my CPU, RAM, Hard Drive, and Optical Drive; to my knowledge I am good to go. Before I install my operating system, the manual for my Gigabyte 990xa-UD3 has steps that I need to complete in order to configure my SATA hard drive:

1. Turn OnChip SATA Controller to: [ENABLED]

2. Change OnChip SATA type to: [RAID]

3. Change OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type to: [As SATA Type]

4. Turn OnChip SATA RAID5 Support to: [ENABLED]

Once I have done these things it says to save and exit BIOS, then it has instructions on how to set up a RAID Array.

My first question is since I only have one hard drive installed do I need to set up an array? Also when I try to set one up, the command Ctrl+F, which is supposed to take me to a screen where I can set up an array, instead brings me to a black screen with one of these "_" flashing in the upper left hand corner. Does anyone know why this is happening?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROBLEM #2

Once I finally finish setting up an array (which as I mentioned I am unsure if I have to, and am currently unable to), the manual says I am ready to install the Operating System. It tells me to select "Load Driver" and navigate my way through the boot up CD to the RAID Driver: \BootDrv\SBxxxW7\RAID\W764A and then select the driver named AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller and then click NEXT.

The first problem I had, and was able to solve thanks to some google searching, was that Windows was not recognized the Boot CD that came with the motherboard at all. So I copied all the files from the Boot CD and put them on a Flash Drive which Windows was able to pick up. However, while I was able to follow the instructions in the manual and find the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller and click NEXT, it keeps saying:

"No new driver found" or "No device driver found"

In addition to this, the checkbox that says "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" must be unchecked in order to see the driver file.

Windows is able to see my hard drive as well, but anytime I click it, it requires it to be formatted, but once I select that option it says it is unable to format .

I am nearing the end of my rope, I have searched everywhere for a solution and tried a lot of BIOS configurations, including Fail-Safe Defaults but still to no avail, please help me finally get my computer actually running!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC's Specs

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

More about : extremely desperate

August 26, 2011 6:13:46 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Systems by Area51reopened
Score
August 26, 2011 6:49:45 PM

You do not need to setup a raid array, you have a single hard drive and as such just use it as it is.
The instructions probably show you can setup raid by turning on the settings in the bios, but you don't really have to do that.
So change the settings back to what they were, or simply restore the settings from the bios, there is an option for it somewhere in there.

So delete the raid array in the raid setup so that you have a regular single disk setup again, and then install windows 7.

Also make sure that in the boot order the DVD drive is before the hard drive, or it might not boot up when installing.

Score
Related resources
August 26, 2011 9:14:15 PM

So I set the BIOS to default, and when I get to the point in which I have to load the driver on which to install Windows 7 I keep running into the same problem no matter what I do.

I navigate to the driver it instructs me to load and click Next, but still it says it can't find the driver. I have no idea what to do now, I have tried putting this driver on a USB but it still won't make it load. I am still in need of some serious help unfortunately.
Score
August 26, 2011 9:29:43 PM

I'm confused.

It should be really simple, try to reset the cmos. (pop out the battery on the mobo then put it back in) put in the windows disk into the cd drive, run your system, enter bios, boot priority = from cd-drive. (cd should have everything you need to at least boot into safe mode where u can dl the drivers)
Score
November 12, 2011 1:51:06 AM

kronogor said:
So I set the BIOS to default, and when I get to the point in which I have to load the driver on which to install Windows 7 I keep running into the same problem no matter what I do.

I navigate to the driver it instructs me to load and click Next, but still it says it can't find the driver. I have no idea what to do now, I have tried putting this driver on a USB but it still won't make it load. I am still in need of some serious help unfortunately.

First off, make sure your HDD and your SATA optical drive are both hooked up correctly. I used both of the top SATA ports '0' and '1'. This cured my problem with it not reading my HDD and I loaded the 'optimal or optimized bios settings' before I did my 3rd full install as it was not reading my HDD to partition etc.

With windows 7 and windows Vista both page 81 (the one telling you how to use the driver on the motherboard) lists the specifics on "Installing the SATA RAID/AHCI Driver and Operating System".

Step 1. Boot from the Windows 7/Vista setup disk and perform standard OS installation steps. When you arrive at the 'Where do you want to instal Windows?' screen, select Load Driver.

Step 2. Insert the motherboard driver disk and then browse to the location of the driver. The locations of the drivers are as follows:

RAID driver for Windows 32-bit: \BootDRV\SBxxxW7\RAIDW7
RAID driver for Windows 64-bit: \BootDrv\SBxxxW7\RAIDW764A (yours?)
RAID driver for Windows 32-bit: \BootDrv\SBxxxW7\AHCI\Win7X86
RAID driver for Windows 64-bit: \BootDrv\SBxxxW7\AHCI\Win7x64

Step 3. When a screen as shown in Figure 1 appears, select AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller and click Next to load the driver and continue the OS installation.

This does look like its after you set up for multiple drives but you maybe able to pull the driver out from just regular installation by trying 'optimal bios settings'.

I am having the same trouble getting Windows XP to stick on my HDD. You don't wanna know what they tell you to do there. A freakin USB external floppy device. Welcome back to the 80's on a 2011 mobo??
Score
January 21, 2012 6:32:39 AM

Quote:
Step 3. When a screen as shown in Figure 1 appears, select AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller and click Next to load the driver and continue the OS installation.

It is at this step that I am having the difficulty. I select the driver I am instructed to select and try and click next, but it will then tell me that it is "No Device Driver Found" or "No New Driver Found."

I really really cannot figure this out and it has been months without a properly working PC; please lend me some knowledge if you can.
Score
January 31, 2012 5:56:16 AM

I received an email stating that this thread was no longer active and that I should select a "Best Answer", unfortunately I still haven't found a solution to this issue /tears.

If anyone needs more information on the issue please let me know and I will do my best to give you any and all information that you require.

Thank you very much for your time!
Score
January 31, 2012 6:07:13 AM

Is it set to slave or master on your hard drive? (in case you don't know there is a little 2 prong jumper on most hdd) locate it and see if it is set as a master or slave or what its set on and let me know.
Score
February 5, 2012 9:22:27 PM

Hello, for some reason my hard drive does not have a jumper as can be seen in this picture I took.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/harddrived.jpg...

Also, in the list of parts in the original post, this particular HDD was OEM so I am not sure if that has anything to do with why no jumper was present.

Would you suggest maybe purchasing one?
Score
February 5, 2012 9:28:28 PM

I'm still not sure why you are having any problem with the setup. The drive doesn't really need any jumpers with the level of hardware you have in your system.
The jumper is generally used for legacy support in older systems.

Score
February 5, 2012 9:35:38 PM

1. Power off your computer
2. Disconnect your hard-drive from the motherboard and make sure that it's plugged into the number 1 slot (consult your motherboard manual)
3. Clear your cosmos (take out the battery)
4. Turn on your computer (make sure you select to boot from your optical drive)
5. Put in your windows 7 disk and restart your computer

Tell me if it works.
Score
February 5, 2012 9:47:50 PM

kronogor said:
Hello, for some reason my hard drive does not have a jumper as can be seen in this picture I took.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/harddrived.jpg...

Also, in the list of parts in the original post, this particular HDD was OEM so I am not sure if that has anything to do with why no jumper was present.

Would you suggest maybe purchasing one?

From your picture it looks like no power is connected to your hdd. I would say thats your problem lol
Score
February 5, 2012 9:51:58 PM

Thank you I will do this immediately, but just to be clear about removing the battery, I read elsewhere that it needs to be out for an hour for a clear to work. Is that correct?
Score
February 5, 2012 9:53:13 PM

zolton33 said:
From your picture it looks like no power is connected to your hdd. I would say thats your problem lol

He has a SATA connector to the left of the HDD SATA connector.
Score
February 5, 2012 9:54:18 PM

kronogor said:
Thank you I will do this immediately, but just to be clear about removing the battery, I read elsewhere that it needs to be out for an hour for a clear to work. Is that correct?

You don't need an hour for it to work. 30 seconds should be fine, maybe even unnecessary. Have you gone through the steps I posted? Did they work?
Score
February 5, 2012 9:55:22 PM

zolton33 said:

Just to the left of the blue sata cable, there is a power cable, I wish that was the problem lol.
Score
February 5, 2012 10:19:52 PM

kronogor said:
Just to the left of the blue sata cable, there is a power cable, I wish that was the problem lol.

sorry not use to newer hdd's (my last hdd purchase was about 3-4 years ago and alots changed since then) So do the new hdd also use the master slave system as before? I ask as he has no jumpers with his hdd.
Score
February 5, 2012 10:25:11 PM

mk-ultra said:
You don't need an hour for it to work. 30 seconds should be fine, maybe even unnecessary. Have you gone through the steps I posted? Did they work?

mk-ultra said:

Yes I went through those steps and still it was unable to find the correct device drive. It still is unable to see any of the drivers on the cd that came with the motherboard unless I uncheck the box that says, "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" and then when I do select the correct drive and hit next, nothing happens.

I will be loading images shortly so everyone can see what is actually happening on the screen.

EDIT: Here is the process that I am hung up on

1. Here is when I insert the disc I recieved with my motherboard:

2. Next, I select the CD Drive: Gigabyte

3. Here I navigate to the Windows 7 64-bit folder, which should contain the drive I need to proceed

4. Here you can see a list of duplicate drives, this is the drive the manual tells me to select. Also note, in the bottom left, I had to uncheck the box which says, "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" in order to see these drivers. Otherwise, this folder would be empty when selected.

5. Finally, here is the screen I am shown once I select the driver shown in "Step 4."

Score
February 5, 2012 10:40:09 PM

kronogor said:
Yes I went through those steps and still it was unable to find the correct device drive. It still is unable to see any of the drivers on the cd that came with the motherboard unless I uncheck the box that says, "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" and then when I do select the correct drive and hit next, nothing happens.

I will be loading images shortly so everyone can see what is actually happening on the screen.

You shouldn't put any disk in the computer other then your Windows 7 installation disk. Any software that came with your motherboard is most likely out of date and useless.
Score
February 5, 2012 10:51:34 PM

mk-ultra said:
You shouldn't put any disk in the computer other then your Windows 7 installation disk. Any software that came with your motherboard is most likely out of date and useless.

I see, well that simplifies things I guess. So when I load windows and select custom install, it then asks me to "Select the driver to be installed" yet when I scan, it brings up a windows stating, "No signed device drivers were found."
Score
February 5, 2012 11:03:05 PM

Are you trying to use an upgrade version of the windows os? If so its looking for the old os to upgrade if it doesn't find it it will not install.
Score
February 5, 2012 11:27:26 PM

zolton33 said:
Are you trying to use an upgrade version of the windows os? If so its looking for the old os to upgrade if it doesn't find it it will not install.

You can see the Windows 7 version I bought in my OP, to my knowledge it appears to be the full version of Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Did I foolishly buy the wrong disc?
Score
February 5, 2012 11:31:49 PM

Check the package may of sent the wrong one it happens lol.
Score
February 5, 2012 11:44:19 PM

zolton33 said:
Check the package may of sent the wrong one it happens lol.

Well it seems to me like it is the right disk looking at it, everything says Windows 7 Home Premium.
Score
February 5, 2012 11:47:37 PM

It will on the upgrade i'm talking about the package it came in lol
Score
February 6, 2012 12:05:06 AM

zolton33 said:
It will on the upgrade i'm talking about the package it came in lol

Yea the package reads, "Windows 7 Home Premium", if it was an upgrade would it have upgrade anywhere on the packaging?
Score
February 6, 2012 12:08:57 AM

kronogor said:
Yea the package reads, "Windows 7 Home Premium", if it was an upgrade would it have upgrade anywhere on the packaging?

Heres a pic of an upgrade version i found online:

In the up left corner it says upgrade if yours says it any where that could be your problem.
Score
February 6, 2012 1:15:14 AM

kronogor said:
I see, well that simplifies things I guess. So when I load windows and select custom install, it then asks me to "Select the driver to be installed" yet when I scan, it brings up a windows stating, "No signed device drivers were found."

Good, if you can get the disk to load then it's not your DVD burner. Are there any partions that you can visibly see? Have you tried clicking on the drive that is available and liking "delete" ?
Score
February 6, 2012 1:19:54 AM

mk-ultra said:
Good, if you can get the disk to load then it's not your DVD burner. Are there any partions that you can visibly see? Have you tried clicking on the drive that is available and liking "delete" ?

The four options, "Delete, Format, New, Extend" are all greyed out and unclickable.
Score
February 6, 2012 1:31:01 AM

kronogor said:
The four options, "Delete, Format, New, Extend" are all greyed out and unclickable.

You have no drive to select? Can you take a picture of the screen you get (after you've clicked on the custom install) ?
Score
February 6, 2012 1:53:21 AM

mk-ultra said:
You have no drive to select? Can you take a picture of the screen you get (after you've clicked on the custom install) ?

Absolutely, here is what I see right after I click "Custom Install"

Score
February 6, 2012 2:47:23 AM

Could you post a pic of your windows box. It sounds like is is searching for a drive that already has windows failing that it does not show the drive. They could have packaged the wrong disc >_< Is your hard drive showing in the bios at all? Sometimes you have to enter into bios to adjust the hdd. I'd try that to see if it shows and post some pics of your bios so others can see in case there is a wrong setting selected.
Score
February 6, 2012 3:10:57 AM

Here is a photo of the disc and box is came in:

Here is my main bios page:

Here is the screen after I select "Standard CMOS Features":

It seems to be reading my HDD and my CD Drive

And here is the screen after selecting my HDD:

Score
February 6, 2012 3:13:13 AM

Thats an anytime upgrade designed to upgrade your version of windows 7 up so thats why you need a full version or oem. With that though after installing the full version (not sure about oem) you can upgrade to the next up version of windows (home to professional)
Score
February 6, 2012 3:40:54 AM

That is a picture of one of the types of any time upgrade. Your disc says its an upgrade disc on it they may of sent you the wrong one that i do not know all i do know is whats written on your disc.
Score
February 6, 2012 3:52:28 AM

None of the disc pictures i've found online match yours. And i have been searching for the oem >_<
Score
February 6, 2012 3:54:11 AM

Looks like it to me
Score
February 6, 2012 4:17:12 AM

Check the link inyour newegg account it should have a link to what you bought under your account.
Score
February 6, 2012 4:32:30 AM

zolton33 said:
Check the link inyour newegg account it should have a link to what you bought under your account.

I read what you linked and it was very informative, thank you. As to what I purchased, Newegg lists this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as the product, and as far as I can tell, it seems like it is the full version, not an upgrade. Is that product actually an upgrade and I just missed that part? Or, should I head out and buy Windows 7 from an actual retail store to ensure a successful install.
Score
February 6, 2012 4:36:49 AM

Well thats up to you. Did it ask for an old product key before you got to the hard drive selecting part? If yes then its for sure the upgrade. Generally the oem asks for it before finishing the install but most say not to validate it online untill after the updates are done as there have been some problems. If you buy the full version and it fixes it great awesome but it suck to put out almost 200 bucks and it doesn't.
Score
February 6, 2012 4:43:30 AM

zolton33 said:
Well thats up to you. Did it ask for an old product key before you got to the hard drive selecting part? If yes then its for sure the upgrade. Generally the oem asks for it before finishing the install but most say not to validate it online untill after the updates are done as there have been some problems. If you buy the full version and it fixes it great awesome but it suck to put out almost 200 bucks and it doesn't.

It did not ask for an old product key at any point yet.

Yea, that is what I am worried about. It would indeed suck quite a bit to dump that much money only to have that not be the problem in the first place, however, you seem confident that I have an upgrade disk and up until this point nobody has been able to truly figure out what could possibly be wrong.

Another question, and excuse my ignorance I don't mean to say you are wrong, but even though it says, "Includes Windows Anytime Upgrade", does that mean it isn't also the full version but just with the added ability to do an upgrade? Also, if it is an upgrade, why do two options "Upgrade" and "Custom" show up when it first boots? Again I truly do appreciate the help you are giving me, and I don't in the slightest mean to offend, I am just trying to wrap my dumb head around all this.
Score
February 6, 2012 4:47:18 AM

Yep that sounds like the upgrade version i'm afraid the oem should only look to install itself not upgrade i believe.
Score
February 6, 2012 4:49:44 AM

But from what i understand if you buy the full home install it then use that upgrade you will then have the windows 7 pro (i'm not sure never used windows any time upgrades before but worth checking out if they refuse to refund your money if you end up buying the full version)
Score
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest