Separate operating system

hazecellar

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
i have saved the old hard drive of a lap top and put it in a caddy knowing it works well with no hiccups it uses vista and has office on it . could any one tell me how to set it up on my new laptop running windows 7 so i can use all the programmes( mainly ms office - i cant use the disc no more as i have put it on too many computers ) on it like using 2 operating systems - be gentle with me though as i aint too clued up although i am sure i could do it with the right tuition - thank you in advance

hazecellar

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
thanks for quick reply but hopefully neither of them - i was hoping to plug the caddy holding the old operating system (vista) into the new laptop (windows 7 ) and somehow not actually use the new system but use the laptop as though it has vista on it - i am guessing like partitioning the hard drive with different systems on it - i only want to do this as i am guessing some of the programmes won't work if i carry them over and i know office won't work as i have put it on too many computers and it now says i have to re-buy it - unless you know a way to work around that ! i don't know if it sounds like i know what i am on about but i am self taught and believe me - i aint a very good teacher so any help is gratefully recieved