YEAH! XENON Gains More Japanese Support!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Game Republic's Yoshiki Okamoto and Q Entertainment's Tetsuya Mizuguchi to
create Exclusive Content for Microsoft Game Studios.

In another creative coup for its next generation Xbox platform, Microsoft
today announced that esteemed video game developers Yoshiki Okamoto,
President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Creator and
Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned with Microsoft® Game Studios
to develop exclusive next-generation Xbox games.

http://www.gamefront.de

Microsoft signs more key Japanese devs for Xbox 2
GamesIndustry.biz staff 12:11 02/03/2005
Former Capcom and Sega luminaries announce plans for Xenon support

Noted Japanese developers Yoshiki Okamoto of Game Republic and Tetsuya
Mizuguchi of Q Entertainment have both signed up to develop Xbox 2-exclusive
titles for Microsoft Game Studios.

The announcement follows last week's revelation that Final Fantasy creator
Hironobu Sakaguichi has committed his Mist Walker studio to developing a
pair of RPGs for the next-generation platform, and is expected to greatly
increase Microsoft's standing in the Far East.

As with the Sakaguchi announcement, however, it does not appear that the two
designers and their respective studios will be limiting their entire output
to the Xbox 2 platform, as some may fear glancing at headlines.

As a former Capcom executive, Okamoto has of course been involved with Xbox
before - Capcom being one of the few Japanese firms to lend support to the
console in its current incarnation - but Game Republic is still a feather in
Microsoft's next-gen cap regardless.

Equally, there's no question of how important Mizuguchi's involvement will
be to hardcore gamers around the world who have come to love his distinctive
work, which includes the likes of SEGA Rally, Space Channel 5 and Rez.

Microsoft today argued that the announcement underscores "a growing
preference... for the next generation Xbox platform" among developers. VP
Peter Moore reckons "Gamers will be riveted by the experience enabled by
such creators when given the proper canvas and tools."

Okamoto, whose previous life at Capcom included spells on Street Fighter and
Resident Evil, amongst other things, said his goal "is to make completely
fresh and riveting experiences that gamers have never had before," and like
Sakaguchi last week he said that he felt with Xbox 2 he could "turn this
vision into a reality".

Mizuguchi, meanwhile, said that he hoped to graduate from games that brought
"ultimate fun" to games that would "give gamers the most emotional and
thrilling gaming experience possible - joy, thrills, sympathy and speed".

Mizuguchi and Sakaguchi's shared emphasis of "emotion" in describing their
goals for next-gen Xbox titles in the last week is an interesting and
Microsoft will hope symbolic reflection of the rhetoric surrounding the
launch of the industry-leading PlayStation 2 four years ago, when the
"Emotion Engine" was the hype du jour.

Xbox 2, which Microsoft plans to launch in late 2005, will be the first
next-gen platform to market, and the company hopes to capitalise on the
significant gap in the market before PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Revolution
appear in 2006 - just as they believe Sony did with the PlayStation 2, which
emerged long before Xbox and GameCube.

"The power and advanced technologies of the next-generation Xbox platform
will enable winning games with powerful emotions, high-quality graphics and
sound," Mizuguchi concluded. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen,
but with names of this calibre on the credit list we can at least say that
Japan will be waiting to see this time around, too, rather than just staring
on indifferently.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7109

-PR-

More Japanese Game Luminaries Pick Next-Gen Xbox Platform

Game Republic's Yoshiki Okamoto and Q Entertainment's Tetsuya Mizuguchi to
create Exclusive Content for Microsoft Game Studios

TOKYO, Japan - 2nd March, 2005 - In another creative coup for its next
generation Xbox platform, Microsoft today announced that esteemed video game
developers Yoshiki Okamoto, President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and
Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Creator and Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned
with Microsoft® Game Studios to develop exclusive next-generation Xbox
games. The announcement comes on the heels of last week's news that video
game legend Hironobu Sakaguchi, president of Mistwalker game studio, has
joined with Microsoft Game Studios to develop role-playing games exclusively
for the next-generation Xbox platform.

For more than 20 years, Okamoto has been thrilling gamers with franchises
like "Street Fighter" and "Resident Evil". Widely considered an industry
pioneer, Okamoto is best known for his ability to conceive and drive
completely new game genres. In July 2003, he founded Game Republic, where he
and his team have next generation Xbox exclusive titles currently in
development.

"My goal in creating these games is to make completely fresh and riveting
experiences that gamers have never had before," said Okamoto. "With the
next-generation Xbox platform, I can turn this vision into a reality."
Mizuguchi, who founded Q Entertainment in 2003, is the creative force behind
a litany of innovative blockbusters including "SEGA Rally Championship,"
"Rez" and "Space Channel 5". Gamers worldwide have long been attracted to
Mizugchi's distinctive style that blends music and action.

"By combining various factors, including exciting storylines, action,
graphics and music, I've created video games that have brought gamers the
ultimate fun in gaming," said Mizuguchi. "Now, I hope to create games that
will give gamers the most emotional and thrilling gaming experience
possible - joy, thrills, sympathy and speed. The power and advanced
technologies of the next-generation Xbox platform will enable winning games
with powerful emotions, high-quality graphics and sound."

The addition of Mizuguchi and Okamoto further reveals Microsoft's strategy
for attracting Japanese gamers. Perhaps more importantly, it underscores a
growing preference among the world's most talented game developers for the
next generation Xbox platform. Last week, the company announced that
Mistwalker, a studio run by the legendary Hironobu Sakaguchi, will develop
two exclusive titles for Microsoft.

"We are excited for Mizuguchi-san and Okamoto-san to develop next generation
Xbox games unlike anything the world has ever seen," said Peter Moore,
Microsoft Corporate Vice President, Worldwide Marketing and Publishing.
"Gamers will be riveted by the experiences enabled by such creators when
given the proper canvas and tools."

About Xbox
Xbox (http://www.xbox.com) is the video game system from Microsoft that
brings people together for the most exhilarating game and entertainment
experiences. Xbox delivers an expansive collection of breakthrough games,
powerful hardware and the unified Xbox Live online service. The tag line,
"It's good to play together," captures the spirit of Xbox as the social hub
of the new digital entertainment lifestyle. Xbox is now available in North
America, Asia, Europe and Australia.

About Microsoft
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in
software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize
their full potential.

For more information, press only:
Marie-Claire Suter
UK PR Manager - Xbox & PC Games
Tel: +44 (0) 118 909 4599
Email: i-maries@microsoft.com

(HEY, notice that Microsoft is more than happy to talk about Xbox 2 GAMES,
even though they're not willing to discuss the hardware yet.)

More big Japanese names for next Xbox
02.03.2005 Jake Rukin

Last week, Microsoft announced that Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi
is working on two exclusive RPGs for the next-generation Xbox. Today, a
couple more big Japanese names have been added to the list people working on
exclusive titles for the Xbox's successor.

Tetsuya Mizuguchi - more often known as 'the Rez man' - and his Q
Entertainment studio are working on something for Microsoft's next console,
but we've no idea what. Said he: "I hope to create games that will give
gamers the most emotional and thrilling gaming experience possible - joy,
thrills, sympathy and speed. The power and advanced technologies of the
next-generation Xbox platform will enable winning games with powerful
emotions, high-quality graphics and sound."

The second, Yoshiki Okamoto, is less well-known, but worked on franchises
like Street Fighter and Resident Evil at Capcom. The project in development
at his company, Game Republic, is also shrouded in secrecy. He said some
words though: "My goal in creating these games is to make completely fresh
and riveting experiences that gamers have never had before. With the
next-generation Xbox platform, I can turn this vision into a reality."

We think Microsoft are being quite clever by working with the studios set up
by respected figures in the Japanese development community, and not just
courting the big publishers where they found fame. This way Microsoft get
the interest of the Japanese public, but without losing publishing control
and thus potentially losing exclusivity. In other words, this lot shouldn't
find their way to Sony formats, unlike Capcom's originally-GameCube-only
titles.

http://www.gamesasylum.com/showarticle.php?articleID=3779

Resi Evil and Rez legends sign for Xbox 2

[02/03/05 15:44]
Microsoft snap up the makers of Street Fighter and Space Channel 5 for
their next-gen console

After the father of Final Fantasy made the move over to Microsoft, it
was only a matter of time before more high profile Japanese developers did
the dollar-dance over to the Seattle company.

And the latest names to hear the siren calls of Bill's big bucks are
the man behind Street Fighter, Sega Rally and Resident Evil, Yoshiki
Okamoto, and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, of Space Channel 5, Lumines and Meteos fame.

While neither of the chaps revealed precisely which games their
studios would be working on, they did admit that they were both beavering
away on top-secret titles for Xbox 2.

And you could tell how thrilled Mr Mizuguchi was about the prospect
just from this comment, made while sat atop a nearby fence: "The power and
advanced technologies of the next-generation Xbox platform will enable
winning games with powerful emotions, and high-quality graphics and sound."

Luckily, Hironobu Sakaguchi, the famed Final Fantasy creator who
recently took the Microsoft shilling, has been a little more forthcoming
about the two Xbox 2 exclusives that he's working on with his Mistwalker
team.

The first project Sakaguchi spoke about is to be like "walking through
a spectacular movie".

"The story isn't about growing up," he continued, "because the main
character already knows everything. I want to show how even that kind of
person would laugh at something simple or cry because of an everyday
occurrence."

The big softie then added: "I want to move away from the usual RPG
storylines and create an experience that makes laughter and tears the most
important elements of the game."

Sakaguchi-san also promised that the second game will be more of an
uplifting, cartoon-style game starring a relentless hero who "keeps going
forward without ever giving up, no matter how difficult things get."

We will have more on both titles, Xbox 2 and the fruits of Mizuguchi
and Okamoto-san's labours very soon.

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=34631&subsectionid=1586

XBOX 2 SCORES MORE HIGH PROFILE JAPANESE TALENT

Yoshiki Okamoto and Tetsuya Mizuguchi leap on board to develop
exclusive titles for Microsoft's next-gen Xbox

12:34 Microsoft's grand scheme to crack the Japanese videogame market
nut with Xbox has taken a fresh turn with the company announcing today that
it has signed up the talents of Yoshiki Okamoto (President & CEO of Game
Republic, Inc.) and Tetsuya Mizuguchi (Creator and Co-founder, Q
Entertainment Inc.) to develop exclusive titles for its "next generation
Xbox platform".

Presumably "next generation Xbox platform" refers to Xbox 2, although
when we spoke to a Microsoft rep about the slightly ambiguous phraseology
earlier they wouldn't elaborate.

Anyway, the announcement follows the recent news that Microsoft has
also secured the genius that is Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi to
create two exclusive RPGs for the next-gen system (in fact, you can find
first details on Sakaguchi-san's plans for those two titles right here).

Yoshiki Okamoto has been heavily involved in high profile franchises
such as Street Fighter and Resident Evil,
and in 2003 founded company Game Republic. Microsoft has revealed
that Okamoto-san and his team at Game Republicalready have a number of "next
generation Xbox exclusive titles" currently in development.
Okamoto-san is clearly keen to push boundaries, stating: "My goal in
creating these games is to make completely fresh and riveting experiences
that gamers have never had before. With the next-generation Xbox platform, I
can turn this vision into a reality."

Tetsuya Mizuguchi meanwhile, who founded Q Entertainment in 2003, is
the creative force behind such titles as Sega Rally Championship, Rez and
Space Channel 5.

"By combining various factors, including exciting storylines, action,
graphics and music, I've created video games that have brought gamers the
ultimate fun in gaming," said Mizuguchi-san.

Mizuguchi-san added: "Now, I hope to create games that will give
gamers the most emotional and thrilling gaming experience possible -- joy,
thrills, sympathy and speed. The power and advanced technologies of the
next-generation Xbox platform will enable winning games with powerful
emotions, high-quality graphics and sound."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=115634

Rez & Resident Evil Luminaries Developing For Xbox Next

March 02, 2005 - Hot on the heels of last week's Xbox Next role-playing game
announcement, Microsoft is now happy to announce that the driving creative
minds behind the likes of Resident Evil, Rez, Street Fighter and Space
Channel 5 have joined forces with the company to create exciting new titles
for the Xbox Next, primarily designed to attract Japanese gamers to the
system:

In another creative coup for its next generation Xbox platform, Microsoft
today announced that esteemed video game developers Yoshiki Okamoto,
President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Creator and
Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned with Microsoft Game Studios to
develop exclusive next-generation Xbox games.
"By combining various factors, including exciting storylines, action,
graphics and music, I've created video games that have brought gamers the
ultimate fun in gaming," said Mizuguchi. "Now, I hope to create games that
will give gamers the most emotional and thrilling gaming experience
possible - joy, thrills, sympathy and speed. The power and advanced
technologies of the next-generation Xbox platform will enable winning games
with powerful emotions, high-quality graphics and sound."

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/592/592631p1.html?fromint=1

Japanese Game Devs for Next Xbox March 02, 2005

by: Jamil Matheny

Game Republic's Yoshiki Okamoto and Q Entertainment's Tetsuya
Mizuguchi to create Exclusive Content for Microsoft Game Studios.

In another creative coup for its next generation Xbox platform,
Microsoft today announced that esteemed video game developers Yoshiki
Okamoto, President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and Tetsuya Mizuguchi,
Creator and Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned with Microsoft
Game Studios to develop exclusive next-generation Xbox games. The
announcement comes on the heels of last week's news that video game legend
Hironobu Sakaguchi, president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with
Microsoft Game Studios to develop role-playing games exclusively for the
[...]

http://xbox.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=4293

Mizuguchi & Okamoto Pledge Microsoft Allegiance

02/03/2005
By: Chris Leyton

Joining the Final Fantasy creator come the geniuses behind SEGA Rally, REZ,
Streetfighter and Resident Evil...

Microsoft's recent surge within Japan was today boosted with confirmation
that noted developers, Yoshiko Okamoto of Game Republic and Tetsuya
Mizuguchi of Q Entertainment, plan to develop videogames exclusively for
Microsoft Game Studios and the Xbox2.

The names should need little introduction, with Okamoto-san applying his
genius at Capcom on the Streetfighter and Resident Evil franchises until
2003; whilst Mizuguchi-san previously toiled away at SEGA, leading
development on numerous projects including SEGA Rally, Space Channel 5 and
the ludicrously brilliant REZ.

"My goal in creating these games is to make completely fresh and riveting
experiences that gamers have never had before," said Okamoto. "With the
next-generation Xbox platform, I can turn this vision into a reality."

Mizuguchi-san has recently released the excellent Lumines for the Sony PSP,
whilst his more recent title Meteos on the Nintendo DS is currently winning
rave rewards across Japan.

"By combining various factors, including exciting storylines, action,
graphics and music, I've created video games that have brought gamers the
ultimate fun in gaming," said Mizuguchi. "Now, I hope to create games that
will give gamers the most emotional and thrilling gaming experience
possible - joy, thrills, sympathy and speed. The power and advanced
technologies of the next-generation Xbox platform will enable winning games
with powerful emotions, high-quality graphics and sound."

Having gained the support of Final Fantasy creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi, this
latest announcement marks a bold swing in fortunes for Microsoft in a
territory that has proved hard to crack for them in the past; certainly the
Japanese fight with Xbox2 should be an entirely different prospect for the
Seattle based giant.

"We are excited for Mizuguchi-san and Okamoto-san to develop next generation
Xbox games unlike anything the world has ever seen," said Peter Moore,
Microsoft Corporate Vice President, Worldwide Marketing and Publishing.
"Gamers will be riveted by the experiences enabled by such creators when
given the proper canvas and tools."

http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?article_id=7296

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7747/More-Japanese-Game-Luminaries-Pick-NextGen-Xbox/

begin 666 spacer.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`+,``/_______P``````````````````````````````````
H`````````````````````"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$`0 0"$$0`.P``
`
end

begin 666 pad.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

begin 666 pad.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

begin 666 spacer.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"NEXT BOX" <nextbox@xbox2.net> wrote in message news:<-fCdnU-XOLbYlbvfRVn-uw@comcast.com>...
> Game Republic's Yoshiki Okamoto and Q Entertainment's Tetsuya Mizuguchi to
> create Exclusive Content for Microsoft Game Studios.
>
> In another creative coup for its next generation Xbox platform, Microsoft
> today announced that esteemed video game developers Yoshiki Okamoto,
> President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Creator and
> Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned with Microsoft® Game Studios
> to develop exclusive next-generation Xbox games.
>
> http://www.gamefront.de

Salvaging industry castasides is not the equivalent of Japanese
support, nor is gaining three exclusive games in a country where over
3/4 of all titles are exclusives equate to Japanese support, nor is
getting 10 new games from Japanese developers when they make 500 for
another console equate to Japanese support that's worth a damn. We
shall see the real meaning of "support" when it launches in Japan,
probably in a year's time.

Eiji Hayashi wrote:

> Salvaging industry castasides is not the equivalent of Japanese
> support, nor is gaining three exclusive games in a country where over
> 3/4 of all titles are exclusives equate to Japanese support, nor is
> getting 10 new games from Japanese developers when they make 500 for
> another console equate to Japanese support that's worth a damn. We
> shall see the real meaning of "support" when it launches in Japan,
> probably in a year's time.

All he said was more Japanese support. Since the Xbox has zero Japanese
support right now, any number greater than zero is technically more. Having
these guys on board is sure to sell a dozen, possibly even a hundred more
Xbox 2s in Japan than not having them would.

-Z-

Zackman wrote:
> Eiji Hayashi wrote:
>
> > Salvaging industry castasides is not the equivalent of Japanese
> > support, nor is gaining three exclusive games in a country where
over
> > 3/4 of all titles are exclusives equate to Japanese support, nor is
> > getting 10 new games from Japanese developers when they make 500
for
> > another console equate to Japanese support that's worth a damn. We
> > shall see the real meaning of "support" when it launches in Japan,
> > probably in a year's time.
>
> All he said was more Japanese support. Since the Xbox has zero
Japanese
> support right now, any number greater than zero is technically more.
Having
> these guys on board is sure to sell a dozen, possibly even a hundred
more
> Xbox 2s in Japan than not having them would.
>
> -Z-

More.. less.. it doesn't mean anything. The only support that matters
is the type that results in a porportional chunk of a developer's
library. ie: assuming a three player industry like this gen, I don't
consider anything less than 20% to be real "support", rather lip
service that the company supports the platform. Ideally it should be
even, ie: 33% each, but anything less than 20% will be like, these guys
just gave me one game, but gave my competitors anywhere from 2 to 5
games every month. That isn't really much of a support.

I mean.. if this development results in XBOX2 selling twice as many
consoles in Japan next generation as this generation, ie: from 700K to
1.5M, that might seem to some as a wonderful achievement, but really
it's meaningless in the overall scheme of things when their competitors
sell 20 times that. They need to get close to 20%. I'm not saying this
isn't a good move. It's a really good move on MS's part, they saw an
opportunity and took it. Now they just need like a dozen more news like
this one.

Zackman wrote:
> All he said was more Japanese support. Since the Xbox has zero Japanese
> support right now, any number greater than zero is technically more. Having
> these guys on board is sure to sell a dozen, possibly even a hundred more
> Xbox 2s in Japan than not having them would.
>
> -Z-

I expect this will drive hordes of Japanese gamers towards X-Box 2 in
the same way Resident Evil drove hordes of twenty-something gamers to
GC. :)