Online vs local store?

So, if you were gonna buy a $500.00ish camera and Secure Digital Card,
would it be worth it to you to pay about $90.00 less by buying them
online vs in a local store?

I'm debating. I could pay about $535.00 online (incl. shipping charges),
or about $625.00 here (incl. tax) in Milwaukee.

The problem I'm debating comes if I have to return the camera for repairs
or replacement. Having to ship it back and forth costs money, and will
take a much longer time than just bringing it back to the store and
talking to someone face-to-face.

What do you all think?

Oh, if it matters, I'm looking to buy the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 plus
the Sandisk 1GB SD Card.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    "Eric Babula" <ebabula@care2.coom> wrote in message
    > So, if you were gonna buy a $500.00ish camera and Secure Digital Card,
    > would it be worth it to you to pay about $90.00 less by buying them
    > online vs in a local store?
    >
    > I'm debating. I could pay about $535.00 online (incl. shipping charges),
    > or about $625.00 here (incl. tax) in Milwaukee.
    >
    > The problem I'm debating comes if I have to return the camera for repairs
    > or replacement. Having to ship it back and forth costs money, and will
    > take a much longer time than just bringing it back to the store and
    > talking to someone face-to-face.
    >
    > What do you all think?
    >
    > Oh, if it matters, I'm looking to buy the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 plus
    > the Sandisk 1GB SD Card.
    >
    > --
    > Eric Babula
    > Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    If you're absolutely sure that the camera you're buying is the one you want,
    without trying other models and brands, online works ok. But that's only if
    you don't have any problems with it. We bought our 20Ds from a local store,
    they were new on the market, and I wanted immediate product support if
    anything went wrong, or even if we had a problem getting something to work.
    Of course, at that time, B&H's price was the same as our retailer's, so
    money wasn't an issue. But I have spent $50-100 more with them in the past
    vs. online, just so that I'd have the security blanket of someone I can take
    the camera or lens to and ask questions.
    If there's a Calumet in your area, they sell at store level at online
    competitive prices.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Eric Babula wrote:
    > So, if you were gonna buy a $500.00ish camera and Secure Digital Card,
    > would it be worth it to you to pay about $90.00 less by buying them
    > online vs in a local store?
    >
    > I'm debating. I could pay about $535.00 online (incl. shipping charges),
    > or about $625.00 here (incl. tax) in Milwaukee.
    >
    > The problem I'm debating comes if I have to return the camera for repairs
    > or replacement. Having to ship it back and forth costs money, and will
    > take a much longer time than just bringing it back to the store and
    > talking to someone face-to-face.
    >
    > What do you all think?
    >
    > Oh, if it matters, I'm looking to buy the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 plus
    > the Sandisk 1GB SD Card.

    Since you seem concerned about having access to local store services, I
    think you should go ahead and buy locally for the security you will feel.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    Eric Babula wrote:
    > So, if you were gonna buy a $500.00ish camera and Secure Digital Card,
    > would it be worth it to you to pay about $90.00 less by buying them
    > online vs in a local store?
    >
    > I'm debating. I could pay about $535.00 online (incl. shipping
    > charges), or about $625.00 here (incl. tax) in Milwaukee.
    >
    > The problem I'm debating comes if I have to return the camera for
    > repairs or replacement. Having to ship it back and forth costs money,
    > and will take a much longer time than just bringing it back to the
    > store and talking to someone face-to-face.
    >
    > What do you all think?

    I think it depends on how much you already know. If you know what you
    want, then by mail order from a quality company like BH or Amd ??? . If you
    are not sure of what you want go local. Local will give you the opportunity
    to ask questions and more important actually feel the camera in your hands,
    something often overlooked.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Eric Babula wrote:
    >> So, if you were gonna buy a $500.00ish camera and Secure Digital
    >> Card, would it be worth it to you to pay about $90.00 less by buying
    >> them online vs in a local store?
    >>
    >> I'm debating. I could pay about $535.00 online (incl. shipping
    >> charges), or about $625.00 here (incl. tax) in Milwaukee.
    >>
    >> The problem I'm debating comes if I have to return the camera for
    >> repairs or replacement. Having to ship it back and forth costs money,
    >> and will take a much longer time than just bringing it back to the
    >> store and talking to someone face-to-face.
    >>
    >> What do you all think?
    >
    > ... BH or Amd ??? .

    Make that Adorama I could not remember the name.

    Depends on what you need. I used local store for 90% of my major
    purchases and was able to negotiate fair
    (not always best) prices and very good service. Alas, just as I was
    depending on them for help in growing systems, etc. they went belly up
    after 20 years...

    Most local stores will deal on prices, this goes for most types of
    products, and it includes department stores such as Sears and JC
    Penney.

    I would ask the local store if they would take say $475 for the camera,
    since the on-line price is around $450. If they ask, you can show them
    the price from a place like J&R or B&H. The worst they can do is say
    no, but if you make an effort to split the difference, then they will
    likely go for it.

    Are you sure about the Z5? I wouldn't buy and digital camera that
    lacked an AF assist lamp.

    Read the review at
    "http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/minolta/dimage_z5-review/index.shtml"

    "RK" <rkgood@charter.net> wrote in

    > Depends on what you need. I used local store for 90% of my major
    > purchases and was able to negotiate fair
    > (not always best) prices and very good service. Alas, just as I was
    > depending on them for help in growing systems, etc. they went belly
    > up after 20 years...

    Hmm, I didn't even think of negotiating prices with the local camera
    store. I guess I didn't think of that as a possibility. You mean, I
    could just bring in the web prices and try to bargain the local camera
    shop down to those prices?

    See, I need you people to be here to help the ignorant me!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    The stupidist post I ever saw on this topic was someone in a local newsgroup
    said go into one of the local "real" camera stores get the sales guy to do
    the demo, explain it all and then pop over and buy a FutureShop! Oddly
    enough many prices in a local shop is the same of lower than FutureShop.

    scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote:
    > Most local stores will deal on prices, this goes for most types of
    > products, and it includes department stores such as Sears and JC
    > Penney.
    >
    > I would ask the local store if they would take say $475 for the camera,
    > since the on-line price is around $450. If they ask, you can show them
    > the price from a place like J&R or B&H. The worst they can do is say
    > no, but if you make an effort to split the difference, then they will
    > likely go for it.
    >
    > Are you sure about the Z5? I wouldn't buy and digital camera that
    > lacked an AF assist lamp.
    >
    > Read the review at
    > "http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/minolta/dimage_z5-review/index.shtml"

    I wouldn't get hung up on a specific feature like that. Some perfectly
    workable alternatives exist for focus in low light.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote in news:1112062405.729332.19230
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Most local stores will deal on prices, this goes for most types of
    > products, and it includes department stores such as Sears and JC
    > Penney.
    >
    > I would ask the local store if they would take say $475 for the camera,
    > since the on-line price is around $450. If they ask, you can show them
    > the price from a place like J&R or B&H. The worst they can do is say
    > no, but if you make an effort to split the difference, then they will
    > likely go for it.
    >
    > Are you sure about the Z5? I wouldn't buy and digital camera that
    > lacked an AF assist lamp.
    >
    > Read the review at
    > "http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/minolta/dimage_z5-
    review/index.shtml"

    Maybe third time is the charm??? Problems getting posts thru, today.

    Thanks for the advice.

    About the KM Z5: I'm not 100% sure, yet. But, I haven't really seen
    anything in any of the other cameras that would say they're any better
    than the Z5, either. At least, not for the price. Lower zoom. More
    expensive. Bigger and bulkier. No hot shoe for external flash. Not great
    macro capabilities. Bad video (though, that probably doesn't really
    matter to me). Each camera has some fault. To tell the truth, if I could
    afford the best, I wouldn't be getting any of these, most likely. But,
    funds are limited.

    If you have a suggestion of a better camera that has great macro
    capabilities like the Z5, plus 5MP, plus at least 10x Optical zoom, for
    about the same amount of money or cheaper, please let me know. As I
    stated, I'm still in the research mode. Right now, the Z5 is about the
    closest fit for my needs, within my budget. I'm not married to it,
    though. I'm willing to research additional cameras, or re-research one of
    the cameras I've already looked at.

    TIA,

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
    of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
    But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
    totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:17:45 GMT, Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > I think it depends on how much you already know. If you know what you
    > want, then by mail order from a quality company like BH or Amd ??? . If you
    > are not sure of what you want go local. Local will give you the opportunity
    > to ask questions and more important actually feel the camera in your hands,
    > something often overlooked.

    Being able to hold the camera and test it is invaluable. But in
    my experience, B&H provides excellent answers to questions, even
    offering useful suggestions over the phone, whether or not a
    purchase is being made.

    Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in

    > I wouldn't get hung up on a specific feature like that. Some
    > perfectly workable alternatives exist for focus in low light.

    What kind of alternatives, Ron? I'd love to hear!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula wrote:
    > Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in
    >

    >>I wouldn't get hung up on a specific feature like that. Some
    >>perfectly workable alternatives exist for focus in low light.
    >>

    > What kind of alternatives, Ron? I'd love to hear!

    Oh, ultrasonic, laser, etc. Some cameras, like Kodak's Z740, use
    multiple methods at once.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in news:NSd2e.12548$0n2.2396
    @fe06.lga:

    > Eric Babula wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in
    >>

    >>>I wouldn't get hung up on a specific feature like that. Some
    >>>perfectly workable alternatives exist for focus in low light.
    >>>

    >> What kind of alternatives, Ron? I'd love to hear!
    >>

    > Oh, ultrasonic, laser, etc. Some cameras, like Kodak's Z740, use
    > multiple methods at once.

    I'm showing my ignorance, here. How does that apply to the KM Z5?

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula wrote:
    > Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in news:NSd2e.12548$0n2.2396
    > @fe06.lga:
    >

    >>Eric Babula wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in

    >>>What kind of alternatives, Ron? I'd love to hear!
    >>>

    >>Oh, ultrasonic, laser, etc. Some cameras, like Kodak's Z740, use
    >>multiple methods at once.
    >>

    > I'm showing my ignorance, here. How does that apply to the KM Z5?

    We were discussing focusing methods, and the poster said he wouldn't buy
    a camera without an auto assist light. I mentioned that there were
    other ways to improve focus.

    --

    > Eric Babula wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in
    >> news:NSd2e.12548$0n2.2396 @fe06.lga:

    >>>Oh, ultrasonic, laser, etc. Some cameras, like Kodak's Z740, use
    >>>multiple methods at once.
    >>>

    >> I'm showing my ignorance, here. How does that apply to the KM Z5?
    >>

    > We were discussing focusing methods, and the poster said he
    > wouldn't buy a camera without an auto assist light. I mentioned
    > that there were other ways to improve focus.

    Yeah. I just didn't understand where/how the ultrasonic laser would
    apply to the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5's reported problem with taking
    pictures in low light.

    I have no idea what an ultrasonic laser is. Is that something I can use
    (plug into) with my KM Z5 (if I get that camera), to help focusing in
    low light situations?

    --

    On 29 Mar 2005 18:55:49 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

    > I have no idea what an ultrasonic laser is. Is that something
    > I can use (plug into) with my KM Z5 (if I get that camera),
    > to help focusing in low light situations?

    There was a comma between "ultrasonic" and "laser". The former
    would be very high frequency sound waves (such as a bat uses to
    navigate) and the latter is usually implemented with an LED, usually
    shining a visible pattern on the subject. Don't expect either to be
    available as add-ons to any camera you might buy. If you want it
    with AF assist, make sure you buy one where it is already designed
    into the camera.

    FWIW, Fuji's S5100 has some, but not all of the features you want.
    For instance, no hot shoe, and 4mp, not 5mp. But the quality of its
    4mp pictures is very good, better than that taken by some 5mp
    cameras. What it does have is an AF-Assist Illuminator, a 10x
    optical zoom, very good video capability, 640x480 or 320x240, 30fps,
    with sound. And the recording length has no limit other than the
    available space on the memory card. It looks like an SLR, but it's
    much smaller and lighter than most. I don't know what the Z5 sells
    for so I can't compare prices, but the S5100 (known in Europe as the
    S5500) is fairly inexpensive. Oh yes, it also operates from and
    gets good life from AA batteries. Up to 200 shots from alkalines or
    400 per charge if using NiMH batteries. It has a pretty good full
    review at www.dpreview.com

    Eric Babula <ebabula@care2.com> wrote:

    > Yeah. I just didn't understand where/how the ultrasonic laser would
    > apply to the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5's reported problem with taking
    > pictures in low light.
    >
    > I have no idea what an ultrasonic laser is. Is that something I can use
    > (plug into) with my KM Z5 (if I get that camera), to help focusing in
    > low light situations?

    I would like to know what an "ultrasonic laser" is too. A laser is
    normally light [photons], but can be other material such as water.
    "ultrasonic" implies sound, and I have never heard of a sound or audio
    laser.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

Photo Cameras