Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading AMD E-240 Laptop CPU

Last response: in CPUs
November 26, 2011 2:46:02 AM

I was recently given a laptop as a surprise gift. Unfortunately the laptop I was given doesn't quite meet my CPU requirements for gaming. I was wondering if I could upgrade my CPU.

Here are my laptop specs:

Toshiba Satallitte C655D-S5143 (PSC0YU-00K002)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD; E-240
Part Number: V000225110

Laptop CPU: AMD E-240
Socket: FT1 BGA

That is all I know about the specs. Hopefully I wont need to change my motherboard, but if I do, could you recommend the kind of Motherboard and CPU I should change to?
a c 126 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2011 3:11:06 AM

I don't think you can upgrade the CPU. If you could it would cost almost the same as a new laptop with a better CPU either way.

If you need a better CPU, I suggest looking into a new laptop.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2011 3:19:09 AM

I agree with jimmysmitty. Laptops are not customizable friendly at all, unlike desktops. Outside of a RAM and hard drive upgrade, I generally replace the laptop when it comes too slow.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 471 à CPUs
a c 433 D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
November 26, 2011 3:32:41 AM

There are no optional motherboard replacements for laptops since a motherboard is specifically designed for a specific notebook chassis. In other words, there are no standard size.

If you have no use for the laptop, then either re-gift it to someone else, or sell it and use the money towards buying a laptop that suits your needs or a desktop.

The fastest AMD E series CPU is the dual core E-450 @ 1.65GHz which may or may not be recognized by the laptop's chipset. However, AMD E series CPUs are only sold to OEMs to the best of my knowledge which means you cannot simply buy it yourself online unless you attempt to purchase them in lots of 1000 directly from AMD. Of course that means you must become an authorized AMD business partner to do so.

November 26, 2011 3:37:20 AM

petersengarrett said:
I was recently given a laptop as a surprise gift. Unfortunately the laptop I was given doesn't quite meet my CPU requirements for gaming. I was wondering if I could upgrade my CPU.

Here are my laptop specs:

Toshiba Satallitte C655D-S5143 (PSC0YU-00K002)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD; E-240
Part Number: V000225110

Laptop CPU: AMD E-240
Socket: FT1 BGA

That is all I know about the specs. Hopefully I wont need to change my motherboard, but if I do, could you recommend the kind of Motherboard and CPU I should change to?

The E Series chips are actually soldered on in the BGA format. You can't replace one with the other.
Score
November 26, 2011 3:52:29 AM

Best answer selected by petersengarrett.
Score
November 26, 2011 3:53:10 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice and the info, I will look into buying a new laptop.
Score
!