New build. No video

Whitej40

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I looked over the troubleshooting and didn't get anywhere so.

Gigabyte M68MT-S2P GeForce 7025 DDR3 AM3 MB

AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Ghz Black Edition AM3 CPU

Corsair XMS3 4GB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz 4096MB

PowerColor Radeon HD 5450 2GB DDR3 PCIe 2.1

Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower ATX Case with 450W PSU.

I've replaced the motherboard once, it too wouldn't give any video, then eventually stopped working altogether.
I got the new board today and installed it. You can hear the processor kick on, the fan works and everything. The problem is i'm just not getting any signal. The case speaker gives a three beep error. Which for the life of me (and gigabyte tech support) I cannot figure out.
I've got the power connectors all filled.
So please, I'm about at my wits end. Sending everything back seems like a pretty good option. Let me know! Thanks

Where do you have the cable from the computer to the monitor plugged in?

The motherboard or the graphics card?
If its in the mb its not going to get any signal since graphics is being routed through the card .
If its in the graphics card then try it through the motherboard , after first taking the graphics card out of the computer . That will tell you instantlly if the graphics card is the problem .

Beep codes explained here
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

depends what BIOS your board has
but Im thinking the graphics card memory is toast . Maybe by static electricity from your hands if you touched the memory chips

Whitej40

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I have the motherboard ONLY. As such thats where my vga cable is going.
I've tested the monitor with other computers and it's working fine.
But as the sake of this problem goes, the graphics card isn't even been used yet.

Ram sticks are very sensitive to static too , so if you handled them carelessly they could both be dead , but that does seem unlikely .

Have you tried bread boarding it ?

Take the computer apart . Lay the mb on a dry wooden board, or plastic cutting board , add the cpu and heat sink , and the case speaker so you can hear the beeps .
Turn it on by shorting the two pins that connect to the power switch . Just touch with a screw driver tip and then remove the screw driver .

It should give you a memory error in that state .
If all goes well connect the monitor and see what happens .

The main thing is not to get stressed . Work calmly and methodically . Its a machine and you can make it work

While you have it out of the case make sure the standoffs are in the right place . If one of those is shorting the circuit to the case ,,,,,,,,,,,,