Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 can't detect external monitor.

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Laptops
  • External Monitor
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 24, 2011 4:30:38 AM

My graphics card, NVIDIA GeForce 9400, cannot detect my external monitor. I have a laptop and I use an external monitor for when I'm home. Everything was working great, for almost a year, until yesterday.

My laptop lost power and shut off without warning, not even a warning that the battery was low. The external monitor was connected to the laptop when it shut off. I don't think that it is the monitor that is at fault.

I connect the external monitor to my laptop using a standard HDMI cable, and to my Xbox with a DVI to HDMI cable. I have interchanged them and tried to connect to my laptop with the DVI cable but no luck. I fear that it could be a fried port on my laptop? I hope not.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

More about : nvidia geforce 9400 detect external monitor

a c 165 Î Nvidia
a b D Laptop
June 24, 2011 1:56:41 PM

Have you checked your display settings in control panel?
m
l
June 24, 2011 8:01:26 PM

Yes, only one screen appears, the monitor attached to my laptop.
m
l
Related resources
a c 165 Î Nvidia
a b D Laptop
June 24, 2011 11:06:00 PM

And there is no way under display settings to add a second monitor?
m
l
June 25, 2011 1:25:31 AM

Correct. There is no option for multiple monitors even when the external one is connected.

Also I try to update my drivers, but when I get to the downloading screen for NVIDIA it says that these are not the correct drivers for my system. I even let NVIDIA scan my computer to see which to download but still no luck.
m
l
a c 165 Î Nvidia
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2011 1:19:32 PM

Have you checked in device manager whether there is any hardware with yellow exclamation marks.
m
l
June 25, 2011 6:10:09 PM

Yes, none have that. I even ran a scan of all my hardware to check.
m
l
!