Suggest Build For 2D 4 to 8 Monitor Set up

m1xilphl1x

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
I would appreciate various opinions on a 2D multi monitor set up for business.

I can build it or buy out of the box.

Purpose:

1. Bloomberg research (not trading however)
2. scrolling news
3. research databases so multiple apps up like excel, word, outlook 10 tabs on Internet browser and Adobe are all up with multiple docs

Requirements:

1. Very quite box -ideally no noise
2. Needs to stay cool
3. Cheap as possible, but not sacrificing reliability, speed, and quietness
4. Expandable so I can have it for 3 years

I don't want anything more than what is needed i.e. I'm not gaming, but I do occasionally stream netflix while working late. I understand that for multi monitor setup one can actually slow down system performance by buying components that could create bottlenecks on a multi processor/graphic card set up. That is where I get foggy with the technical details. FYI I'm familiar with Matrox and the Nvidia 3D gaming cards etc.

I appreciate your suggested builds.

Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB : $98 after rebate

You may run 'Eyefinity' with this card for three monitors -- to support 3 displays, one of the monitors has to support DisplayPort. The real peeser: you will have to purchase a $35 displayport cable.

If you put that video card in the Giga-Byte GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3 motherboard ($93) you may also utilize the on-board ATI Radeon HD 4250 to push two additional monitors.

One of the two 'on-board IGP' monitors must use a D-sub connector -- the other may be either DVI or HDMI.

Is 5 displays enough? If not, you may purchase an Asus M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3 motherboard ($138) that has an additional PCIe x16 slot (x4 electrical) for another video card (and another three monitors). I hope 8 monitors will be enough!

AM3+ motherboards will support the next generation AMD Bulldozer Zambezi processor which will be available in 4-, 6- and 8-core flavors, but in the interim the 95w AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz 'Propus' ($95) should work just dandy.

There should be a 'rash' of AM3+ motherboards coming on the market in the next 4-6 weeks which should keep prices down and offer some sweet options for you. When you have decided on your motherboard, carefully review the memory QVL for compatibility. As an example, Asus has qualified the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 ($90) for the above motherboard.

We need some more info -- are you interested in a solid state hard drive? Do you have a preference for your case?

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
from what i know is that eyefinity will work with a non displayport monitor only if you have an ACTIVE displayport adapter. and without that adapter it wont work.

however there are some video cards that have the a built in active displayport. sapphire makes some cards that dont require a displayport to have eyefinity, these are the flex edition cards

here is the cheapest one i can find for now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102920

you wont need a displayport monitor or active displayport adapter. it will let you use eyefinity with 3 dvi monitors .

this one will perform better since its a faster card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102938

rmhutchins

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I am really curious what you found out and what you decided to do! I am in the exact same boat -- looking for multiple-monitor graphics card (3 or 4 monitors) to use at work (occasionally, watching TV with a Hauppauge TV card). I don't do any gaming -- so, 3D is not needed. I have been using ATI FireMV cards (which are a little slow when I have a large PDF File); I'm planning on upgrading to an Intel i7 CPU with Windows 7 (from Windows XP), and I don't think my FireMV cards will work. I built the computer I am currently using and want to build my next one. Thanks for your input!

Daytraderjo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I wanna know too!!!

Seems like nobody gives viable solutions to business users. Why does it matter if u are using solid state or not? I too, need a 6-8 monitor rig for 2d use only for daytrading. I went long and my previous custom built "top of the line pc" caught fire...literally, by the cpu switch on the mobo..... after 1 year of use....Mobo and cpu fried. I7 920 cpu. Intel said it was my corsair 1600 ddr3 ram=incompatible and overclocked? I never even touched any overclocking but since i had this ram, i guess it was unsafe. Cpu was 200 at the time purchased, then my evga mobo with 4 pcie slots was like $230.....i was running 6 monitors off 3 cards. 2 card monitors. The reason it blew up and ignited a fire was cuz of "dust" accumulation. Mobo was rma'd and said the culprit to be a bad power line or something, who knows. The thermaltake 750 wat power supply was/is supposedly fine. Called the trade desk and my position was exited for a 20 dollar transaction fee. I was using tradestation software and ninjatrader. Must habee been too much for my system.

Truth be told, we need a company to make good single slot graphics cards that supports use of dvi cards (many of them, for many monitors) There are none there as far as i know. Everyone is still reccommending these gaming cards for 3d, 4d, 5d use, etc..... when it is not necessary for the professional world.

I want stability, not fires during my trading day, i habe sincebought a 500 dell desktop and am running 2 monitors plus 1 runs on an old usb to vga card. Also have a laptop running hooked up to another large monitor. It runs fine.

I dont plan to make any custom build purchases until i can get a real explanation as to how this can happen.