Sign in with
Your question

XPS 400 Power Supply Upgrade?

Last response: in Components
November 26, 2011 2:59:52 AM

Hello, I currently have a Dell XPS 400 with a 375W Dell power supply and am trying to upgrade so that I can run an ATI Radeon 4850. I know that I need a new computer but due to college, I have to work with what I have :D 
I'm having trouble finding a power supply that will work in my case, because even though most people say that any ATX power supply will work with it, the case doesn't have a spot for the power switch that is on most PSU's....can someone please help me :'( 
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 3:02:04 AM

dell sold that PC with a 4850, that PSU can handle it. for mass produced PCs, DELL PSU are decent compared to a some of the junk PC builders use.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 3:02:41 AM

The problem with your computer is that the case is a proprietary case built by Dell. Dell is notorious for doing it. I have a lot of trouble fitting any standard ATX PSU on it and I don't know of any that will. You chances are very slim.

In honesty you should just get a new PC that uses a more standard case instead. You will get a headache trying to fit a standard ATX PSU in that one.

As for it handling a HD4850, I don't know for sure. If there was was they sold it with it would have been a specific one they bought or had designed. The HD4870 needs a 500W PSU with two 75W PCIe 6 pin connections so it my cut it close honestly.
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 4:29:22 AM

iamjeff4life said:
Hello, I currently have a Dell XPS 400 with a 375W Dell power supply and am trying to upgrade so that I can run an ATI Radeon 4850. I know that I need a new computer but due to college, I have to work with what I have :D 
I'm having trouble finding a power supply that will work in my case, because even though most people say that any ATX power supply will work with it, the case doesn't have a spot for the power switch that is on most PSU's....can someone please help me :'( 

First thing to do is try your card, the 375w should handle it ( it is kinda old though ).
If it doesn't, you can use almost any standard ATX psu as a replacement.
m
l
November 26, 2011 4:29:32 AM

I would get a new computer, but like I said, with college bills to be paid, I just can't afford it. I'm not exactly wanting a full on gaming rig, i'm just wanting to run World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic on medium settings with at least 50+ fps. It's not impossible because I've seen it done, I just need to find a decent card that can do it.. :/ 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 1:10:51 PM

iamjeff4life said:
I would get a new computer, but like I said, with college bills to be paid, I just can't afford it. I'm not exactly wanting a full on gaming rig, i'm just wanting to run World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic on medium settings with at least 50+ fps. It's not impossible because I've seen it done, I just need to find a decent card that can do it.. :/ 

what are your full specs (CPU, ram, operating system) including monitor resolution? both games scale very well with older hardware.
m
l
a c 1200 ) Power supply
November 26, 2011 2:16:02 PM

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 4850 graphics card a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and with at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector is recommended.

Your Dell OEM 375 Watt power supply unit, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector meets the requirements.

There is no need for you to replace your power supply unit to run the Radeon HD 4850 graphics card.
m
l
!