XPS 400 Power Supply Upgrade?

iamjeff4life

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Hello, I currently have a Dell XPS 400 with a 375W Dell power supply and am trying to upgrade so that I can run an ATI Radeon 4850. I know that I need a new computer but due to college, I have to work with what I have :D
I'm having trouble finding a power supply that will work in my case, because even though most people say that any ATX power supply will work with it, the case doesn't have a spot for the power switch that is on most PSU's....can someone please help me :'(

The problem with your computer is that the case is a proprietary case built by Dell. Dell is notorious for doing it. I have a lot of trouble fitting any standard ATX PSU on it and I don't know of any that will. You chances are very slim.

In honesty you should just get a new PC that uses a more standard case instead. You will get a headache trying to fit a standard ATX PSU in that one.

As for it handling a HD4850, I don't know for sure. If there was was they sold it with it would have been a specific one they bought or had designed. The HD4870 needs a 500W PSU with two 75W PCIe 6 pin connections so it my cut it close honestly.

First thing to do is try your card, the 375w should handle it ( it is kinda old though ).
If it doesn't, you can use almost any standard ATX psu as a replacement.

iamjeff4life

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I would get a new computer, but like I said, with college bills to be paid, I just can't afford it. I'm not exactly wanting a full on gaming rig, i'm just wanting to run World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic on medium settings with at least 50+ fps. It's not impossible because I've seen it done, I just need to find a decent card that can do it.. :/

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 4850 graphics card a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and with at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector is recommended.

Your Dell OEM 375 Watt power supply unit, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector meets the requirements.

There is no need for you to replace your power supply unit to run the Radeon HD 4850 graphics card.

TRENDING THREADS