Not letting me dl drivers for GPU etc

Scottk517

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hey guys,

I just built a new i7 x58 system. It seems to be working ok. I hooked it uo to the internet. Running W7 64 bit, it updated windows no prob. I tried to update my GPU drivers, it went to the DL screen with run save or cancel, I went to run it. It DL it, then it never ran the program, nor did the program seem to hang up in the Task Manager. I tried to save it to my documents, did not appear in the file. I turned off the Windows firewall, and I have no other virus or firewall protection and tried again. Same problems. Rebooted, same problems... please help!!! Just checked... not letting me DL anything it seems like.....

Scott

NEVER !! download and run software directly from a website, even a "trusted" site like nVidia or ATI can be hacked and code injected to web pages to down load dodgy files.

If your using IE and nvidia, use their hardware detection and find the correct driver.

ATI uses a drop down list selction approach.

Having no AV and firewall is like leaving your front door open and your wallet on the welcome mat.

Scottk517

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
what happens is the file DL's and when it finishes the dialog box disapears and nothing happens... When I try to save to file, desktop or download folder, it doe snot show up there...

arges86

Distinguished

thats being a little over paranoid...
those sites are very low risk of being compromised. I've never heard of anyone having issues w/ downloading the most up-to-date drivers because of a malicious hack.
besides, the hardware detection almost never finds the most recent drivers, especially new releases that contain vital game patches.

scottk517,
check your settings and enable 'show hidden files and folders'
perhaps for some reason they are becoming hidden files (i personally haven't used IE for anything in about 5 years)

also try, going to Tools Internet Options Advanced and click on restore internet explorer settings IE to it's install state then it started to save files again

try turning off UAC
Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off

if you created a new account (aka a non-admin.) make sure your not sending it to a different users desktop. Also try logging in as the admin and repeating the process.

oh,
ps.
you should really have an antivirus installed. If you don't have a paid for one, i've always liked AVG Free Edition