laptop - upgrading disks

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a couple of laptops
and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.

What are the least involved steps to clone the disk to the 60GB ?
I've used older copies of Partition Magic, Drive Copy, and Ghost,
but not sure about the logistics involved for copying a laptop.
I would like to use an external USB case for the 2nd drive,
but have not acquired one as yet.... some specs said they didn't support
over 40GB.

We have a Dell C610 laptop to clone - also have Toshiba and Thinkpad -
but just for the Dell, I bought the swappable modular bay to support the 2nd
disk
and was thinking I could use something like Partition Magic or Drive Copy.
Not sure about the other laptops and getting a USB case for the upgrade.
9 answers Last reply
More about laptop upgrading disks
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Bigguy wrote:
    > Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    I completely agree with you, Bigguy!
    Personally I use it, so I want to tell you my conclusion based on my
    own experience that it's really convenient and easy to use program with
    a lot of useful features. It has great intuitive Windows wizard, that
    makes utilization more pleasant.
    I just love this program, as it saved me hundred times. Now, I couldn't
    even imagine my life without it.
    My best recommendations are with this software. IMHO
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Guy

    "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
    >I have a couple of laptops
    > and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
    > Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.
    >
    > What are the least involved steps to clone the disk to the 60GB ?
    > I've used older copies of Partition Magic, Drive Copy, and Ghost,
    > but not sure about the logistics involved for copying a laptop.
    > I would like to use an external USB case for the 2nd drive,
    > but have not acquired one as yet.... some specs said they didn't support
    > over 40GB.
    >
    > We have a Dell C610 laptop to clone - also have Toshiba and Thinkpad -
    > but just for the Dell, I bought the swappable modular bay to support the
    > 2nd
    > disk
    > and was thinking I could use something like Partition Magic or Drive Copy.
    > Not sure about the other laptops and getting a USB case for the upgrade.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Bigguy <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote:
    : Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    : http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Another vote for Acronis True Image to upgrade your disks (with
    cloning or imaging). I got it on sale several months back for about
    $35 at NewEgg.com.

    You could use a USB enclosure, put your new hard drive in that, make
    it temporarily an external hard drive, clone the old drive to the new,
    then swap the drives. Either get a 2.5" enclosure for laptop drives
    or a 3.5" enclosure for desktop drives and get a 40 pin to 44 pin
    adaptor to use a laptop drive in a desktop IDE device. Get two of
    those adaptors and you could do the cloning on a desktop machine
    without an enclosure.

    Andrew

    : "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
    : news:MNdOe.510$L77.214@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
    : >I have a couple of laptops
    : > and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
    : > Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.
    : >

    --

    Andrew
    --

    Andrew wrote:

    > In comp.sys.laptops Bigguy <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote:
    > : Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    > : http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >
    > Another vote for Acronis True Image to upgrade your disks (with
    > cloning or imaging). I got it on sale several months back for about
    > $35 at NewEgg.com.
    >
    > You could use a USB enclosure, put your new hard drive in that, make
    > it temporarily an external hard drive, clone the old drive to the new,
    > then swap the drives. Either get a 2.5" enclosure for laptop drives
    > or a 3.5" enclosure for desktop drives and get a 40 pin to 44 pin
    > adaptor to use a laptop drive in a desktop IDE device. Get two of
    > those adaptors and you could do the cloning on a desktop machine
    > without an enclosure.
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > : "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
    > : news:MNdOe.510$L77.214@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
    > : >I have a couple of laptops
    > : > and want to upgrade from the 30GB disk to a 60GB disk.
    > : > Currently running Winx/XP with the disk formatted as NTFS.
    > : >
    > : > What are the least involved steps to clone the disk to the 60GB ?
    > : > I've used older copies of Partition Magic, Drive Copy, and Ghost,
    > : > but not sure about the logistics involved for copying a laptop.
    > : > I would like to use an external USB case for the 2nd drive,
    > : > but have not acquired one as yet.... some specs said they didn't support
    > : > over 40GB.
    > : >
    > : > We have a Dell C610 laptop to clone - also have Toshiba and Thinkpad -
    > : > but just for the Dell, I bought the swappable modular bay to support the
    > : > 2nd
    > : > disk
    > : > and was thinking I could use something like Partition Magic or Drive Copy.
    > : > Not sure about the other laptops and getting a USB case for the upgrade.
    > : >
    > : >
    > : >

    I agree that True Image is a good tool to do this. Still, I must say
    that, although I am an experienced users, I ended up a few days ago
    restoring a backup drive instead a cloning my main drive to the backup
    drive. Of course, I cannot rule out a gross mistake on my part in
    selecting the disks but actually, I believe something else happened. The
    only thing I did differently from usual is, in Select Data Moving
    Method, I chose Proportional (which I had never done before) instead of
    Manual.

    Until I can experiment without endangering my system, I am back to the
    Manual method. I would really like to go to the bottom of this and
    convince myself I made a mistake. But the fact that my Backup Drive is a
    Firewire which is not recognized on my machine upon Boot-up, meaning I
    must disconnect it when Windows closes and reconnect it while it reboots
    might have been a factor.

    I strongly recommend to triple check what you are doing since the
    consequences of such incident can be desastrous (not in mine, my backup
    was fairly recent).

    --
    John Doue
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    thanks -
    just downloaded the manual and was reading thru it -
    Wonder how Acronis TrueImage compares to Ghost and the other products -
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:

    : "Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : news:3mtqq6F18qa9nU1@individual.net...
    : > Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    : > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    : >
    : thanks -
    : just downloaded the manual and was reading thru it -
    : Wonder how Acronis TrueImage compares to Ghost and the other products -

    Here's one comparison of sorts:

    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117961,00.asp

    I have never used Ghost, but to hear that some people think True Image
    is better at a lower price was enough to sell me and I've never
    regretted it. Great software. Although I have used it dozens of
    times just to backup and clone disks, I did have to use it for real
    when my hard drive crashed a couple of weeks back. Worked absolutely
    perfectly - I was amazed that I could boot from the new hard drive
    after restoring the backup image to it without doing anything.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    : I agree that True Image is a good tool to do this. Still, I must say
    : that, although I am an experienced users, I ended up a few days ago
    : restoring a backup drive instead a cloning my main drive to the backup
    : drive. Of course, I cannot rule out a gross mistake on my part in
    : selecting the disks but actually, I believe something else happened. The
    : only thing I did differently from usual is, in Select Data Moving
    : Method, I chose Proportional (which I had never done before) instead of
    : Manual.

    I have cloned drives a few times successfully with True Image. I
    think I once had a problem trying to backup an image on an old Win98
    machine but on newer machines no issues. At least True Image works on
    Win98/ME and not just 2000/XP, because I have needed to use it on
    older systems a few times in the last several months.

    Perhaps you should have tried a different method besides proportional?
    Restoring an image would have just given you the same partition size
    as before so wouldn't it have been worth a try to clone that way?

    : Until I can experiment without endangering my system, I am back to the
    : Manual method. I would really like to go to the bottom of this and
    : convince myself I made a mistake. But the fact that my Backup Drive is a
    : Firewire which is not recognized on my machine upon Boot-up, meaning I
    : must disconnect it when Windows closes and reconnect it while it reboots
    : might have been a factor.

    You mean the True Image rescue CD doesn't recognize your Firewire
    device upon bootup? Have you obtained the latest builds from Acronis?
    Did you visit the Acronis forums and see if there are any known fixes
    for this issue?

    I've been impressed with its support for such devices as my USB 2.0 PC
    Card add-on for my laptop so I could restore images from an external
    hard drive.

    : I strongly recommend to triple check what you are doing since the
    : consequences of such incident can be desastrous (not in mine, my backup
    : was fairly recent).

    It's fairly easy to boot up from the rescue CD and begin the process
    of restoring an image without actually doing it just to make sure all
    your hardware is recognized and such.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    On 22 Aug 2005 23:03:17 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:

    >In comp.sys.laptops Phil Schuman <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote:
    >
    >: "Bigguy" <gtittley@remove.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >: news:3mtqq6F18qa9nU1@individual.net...
    >: > Acronis TrueImage is perfect for this - a doddle
    >: > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
    >: >
    >: thanks -
    >: just downloaded the manual and was reading thru it -
    >: Wonder how Acronis TrueImage compares to Ghost and the other products -
    >
    >Here's one comparison of sorts:
    >
    >http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,117961,00.asp

    Just think, if you were running GNU/Linux, disk cloning is a simply
    file copy operation using standard command line tools that come free
    with the OS. :o)

    Cheers,
    Grant.

    Grant <g_r_a_n_t_@dodo.com.au> wrote:
    : Just think, if you were running GNU/Linux, disk cloning is a simply
    : file copy operation using standard command line tools that come free
    : with the OS. :o)

    Well, I have both a Linux (Ubuntu/Debian) server and FreeBSD server
    running at home off of my DSL line (not as a real web server mind
    you). One is a shadow of my real web host, the other is going to be a
    remote Samba file server. But the reality is, I still need
    to use Windows for certain things and so do most of the people I help
    with computer problems. My goal is to build a nice Windows box at
    home that I can remote access when need be to do Windows stuff and put
    Ubuntu on my laptop.

    Are you talking about the dd command for copying disks (to copy the
    MBR, etc)? If not, what other tools are available in Linux to image
    disks? I'm using rsync to backup my website but that doesn't copy the
    MBR and such. True Image has the ability to do incremental backups as
    well as image backups into single files, and it does compression
    also. It will even image FreeBSD and Linux partitions which is way
    cool, although unfortunately you can't mount them...

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

Laptops Partition Magic Dell Product