viewing html thumbnails

i used to be able to get a preview of html thumbnails so that i could see what the html page was.

i can't do that anymore. i've been through windows help and i can't find anything to help.

hopefully, someone here can give me a hand. it'd be a lot easier to find what i'm looking for if i could preview the html thumbnail.

ethniu
5 answers Last reply
More about viewing html thumbnails

    | "ethniu" <ethniu@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote in message news:F69EA465-00B0-430C-B7F4-36B33E98EBE5@microsoft.com
    | i used to be able to get a preview of html thumbnails so that i could
    | see what the html page was. i can't do that anymore. <SNIP>

    Hmmm... By default Microsoft Windows XP does not show
    thumbnails of .html files.

    But according to my old notes from when I had Microsoft
    Windows 2000 installed the following file types used (or could use)
    the HTML Thumbnail Extractor:

    ..eml, .htm, .html, .mht, .mhtml, .nws, .txt, .url, .xml

    And in both Win2K and WinXP the HTML Thumbnail Extractor
    has the following CLSID:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}

    To associate any of the above file types with the thumbnail image
    handler involves adding keys and value data to the registry.

    WARNING: Changing or deleting registry entries may cause
    serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating
    system. Before you run the Registry Editor I recommend that you
    understand how to backup, edit and restore the registry.

    In particular, I suggest that you read the following KB322756
    article section titled "Export Registry Keys" and then, before you
    edit the registry export the keys that you plan to edit. For more
    information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article.

    KB322756 - HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the
    Registry in Windows XP and Windows Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;322756

    To associate the .html file type with the thumbnail image handler
    follow these steps:

    - Logon to the computer using an account that has Administrative
    privileges

    - Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click
    OK: regedit

    - Locate and click the following registry key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html

    - Right-click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html registry key,
    point to New, and then click Key. Name the new key:

    ShellEx

    - Right-click the ShellEx registry key that you created, point to
    New, and then click Key. Name the new key:

    {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

    - In the left-pane make certain that the
    {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}key is
    selected. In the right-pane right-click the Default value and then
    type the following value data in the Value data box:

    {EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}

    - Run Windows Explorer and verify that you can view
    thumbnails for .html files.

    Note: The above steps will only enable thumbnails for files with
    the .html extension. If you want to enable thumbnails for .htm files
    you will need to follow the above steps for that file extension.
    Of course, in the above steps replace every occurrence of .html
    with .htm

    Mine does and always has.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message news:%233K3YJPZEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > | "ethniu" <ethniu@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > | wrote in message news:F69EA465-00B0-430C-B7F4-36B33E98EBE5@microsoft.com
    > | i used to be able to get a preview of html thumbnails so that i could
    > | see what the html page was. i can't do that anymore. <SNIP>
    >
    > Hmmm... By default Microsoft Windows XP does not show
    > thumbnails of .html files.
    >
    > But according to my old notes from when I had Microsoft
    > Windows 2000 installed the following file types used (or could use)
    > the HTML Thumbnail Extractor:
    >
    > .eml, .htm, .html, .mht, .mhtml, .nws, .txt, .url, .xml
    >
    > And in both Win2K and WinXP the HTML Thumbnail Extractor
    > has the following CLSID:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}
    >
    > To associate any of the above file types with the thumbnail image
    > handler involves adding keys and value data to the registry.
    >
    > WARNING: Changing or deleting registry entries may cause
    > serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating
    > system. Before you run the Registry Editor I recommend that you
    > understand how to backup, edit and restore the registry.
    >
    > In particular, I suggest that you read the following KB322756
    > article section titled "Export Registry Keys" and then, before you
    > edit the registry export the keys that you plan to edit. For more
    > information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article.
    >
    > KB322756 - HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the
    > Registry in Windows XP and Windows Server
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;322756
    >
    > To associate the .html file type with the thumbnail image handler
    > follow these steps:
    >
    > - Logon to the computer using an account that has Administrative
    > privileges
    >
    > - Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click
    > OK: regedit
    >
    > - Locate and click the following registry key:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html
    >
    > - Right-click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html registry key,
    > point to New, and then click Key. Name the new key:
    >
    > ShellEx
    >
    > - Right-click the ShellEx registry key that you created, point to
    > New, and then click Key. Name the new key:
    >
    > {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}
    >
    > - In the left-pane make certain that the
    > {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}key is
    > selected. In the right-pane right-click the Default value and then
    > type the following value data in the Value data box:
    >
    > {EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}
    >
    > - Run Windows Explorer and verify that you can view
    > thumbnails for .html files.
    >
    > Note: The above steps will only enable thumbnails for files with
    > the .html extension. If you want to enable thumbnails for .htm files
    > you will need to follow the above steps for that file extension.
    > Of course, in the above steps replace every occurrence of .html
    > with .htm

    thanks, carrie, i'll give it a try.

    "Carrie Garth" wrote:

    > | "ethniu" <ethniu@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > | wrote in message news:F69EA465-00B0-430C-B7F4-36B33E98EBE5@microsoft.com
    > | i used to be able to get a preview of html thumbnails so that i could
    > | see what the html page was. i can't do that anymore. <SNIP>
    >
    > Hmmm... By default Microsoft Windows XP does not show
    > thumbnails of .html files.
    >
    > But according to my old notes from when I had Microsoft
    > Windows 2000 installed the following file types used (or could use)
    > the HTML Thumbnail Extractor:
    >
    > ..eml, .htm, .html, .mht, .mhtml, .nws, .txt, .url, .xml
    >
    > And in both Win2K and WinXP the HTML Thumbnail Extractor
    > has the following CLSID:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}
    >
    > To associate any of the above file types with the thumbnail image
    > handler involves adding keys and value data to the registry.
    >
    > WARNING: Changing or deleting registry entries may cause
    > serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating
    > system. Before you run the Registry Editor I recommend that you
    > understand how to backup, edit and restore the registry.
    >
    > In particular, I suggest that you read the following KB322756
    > article section titled "Export Registry Keys" and then, before you
    > edit the registry export the keys that you plan to edit. For more
    > information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article.
    >
    > KB322756 - HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the
    > Registry in Windows XP and Windows Server
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;322756
    >
    > To associate the .html file type with the thumbnail image handler
    > follow these steps:
    >
    > - Logon to the computer using an account that has Administrative
    > privileges
    >
    > - Click Start, click Run, type the following command and click
    > OK: regedit
    >
    > - Locate and click the following registry key:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html
    >
    > - Right-click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html registry key,
    > point to New, and then click Key. Name the new key:
    >
    > ShellEx
    >
    > - Right-click the ShellEx registry key that you created, point to
    > New, and then click Key. Name the new key:
    >
    > {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}
    >
    > - In the left-pane make certain that the
    > {BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}key is
    > selected. In the right-pane right-click the Default value and then
    > type the following value data in the Value data box:
    >
    > {EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}
    >
    > - Run Windows Explorer and verify that you can view
    > thumbnails for .html files.
    >
    > Note: The above steps will only enable thumbnails for files with
    > the .html extension. If you want to enable thumbnails for .htm files
    > you will need to follow the above steps for that file extension.
    > Of course, in the above steps replace every occurrence of .html
    > with .htm

    Go here:

    download and instal regedit from line 162

    162. Restore HTML, HTM, URL Thumb View.

    --

    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    _____________

    ---

    "ethniu" <ethniu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i used to be able to get a preview of html thumbnails so that i could see
    what the html page was.

    > i can't do that anymore. i've been through windows help and i can't find
    anything to help.

    > hopefully, someone here can give me a hand. it'd be a lot easier to find
    what i'm looking for if i could preview the html thumbnail.

    > ethniu

    ---

    thanks, i'll try it and let you know

    "Kenny S" wrote:

    > Go here:
    >
    > download and instal regedit from line 162
    >
    > 162. Restore HTML, HTM, URL Thumb View.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > _____________
    > Kenny S
    > http://www.computerboom.net
    > FREE programs and MORE!
    >
    > ---
    >
    > "ethniu" <ethniu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i used to be able to get a preview of html thumbnails so that i could see
    > what the html page was.
    > >
    > > i can't do that anymore. i've been through windows help and i can't find
    > anything to help.
    > >
    > > hopefully, someone here can give me a hand. it'd be a lot easier to find
    > what i'm looking for if i could preview the html thumbnail.
    > >
    > > ethniu
    >

    > ---

Configuration HTML Microsoft Customization Windows XP