Dual Channel Memory Not Working?

PatrickStarr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
hi all i just recently purchased my motherboard from amazon as i recall i bought a "new asrock z77 extreme 4" that supports dual channel memory and can hold atleast 28 gb of installed ram now my problem is i checked my mother board manual it says "it is recommended to install them in slots DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1, or DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2" so I did what the manual recommended and when i run my computer i get an dr.debug error 55 i tried repositioning the ram in the other ram slots and i noticed that slot A1 and A2 are working (no dr.debug errors and is able to run win 7) but when i check cpu-z and my computer specs it says 8GB ram Installed but (3.87 usable) so i was thinking this is only single channel i'm wondering if my motherboard ram slots are defected is there some kind of way to make dual channel memory work? and do i need to update my bios?

specs
cpu: intel core i5 2380p Sandy Bridge
Mobo: Asrock z77 Extreme 4
GPU: Zotac Geforce 550 ti 1gb ddr5
RAM Corsair Vengeance 2x4 DDr3(8gb installed but 4 usable help pls)
PSU:700 watts
Harddrive:WD green 7200 rpm
ODD:LG DVDWriter
Case SilverStone Local Brand

PS i have win7 64 bit os
and the memory model is Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
BIOS Version 1.20

any help is appreciated

Solution
Bios update dont fix memory issue, but new cpu stepping, feature and better overclock.

Maybe your memory slot is faulty.

mubin

Distinguished
Looks like another ram is not detected. IGPU will share more than 4gb. Is A2 and B2 doing same? I suggest check memory module separately if they can run system. Take out other memory to boot and then with another. It will ensure if there is any faulty memory.

PatrickStarr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

yes i tried that also and i also tried 1 stick at a time the problem is slot B1 and B2 is not working and always show the error 55 and wont boot up and there's this thing i've been reading in some posts in the forums about dual channel mem's not working because some pins in the cpu are bent? if i do have a bend pin then why can i boot up my os?

PatrickStarr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

there are no faulty memory actually only slot b1 and b2 are not working and it shows the error 55 dr debug displayed in the mobo and i also tried it seperately from A1- B2

mubin

Distinguished

What about A2 and B2 not A1 and B2?

unreal9400

Distinguished
Update bios under Windows.
Usually updated bios contains fixes and enhancement that will improve your motherboard capability and support such as new cpu support and compatibilty issue.
Give it a try and let me know if it works.

PatrickStarr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

ok i will give it a try

PatrickStarr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

i successfully updated my bios to 2.00 but yeah i think this is the problem with inside the motherboard dimms slot i may have to send this motherboard back to amazon and hope to get this mb replaced thank you for your help if there is any more suggestions i might try it out before i send this one out

PatrickStarr

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

yes that was my hunch i also tried different ddr3 ram gskills i think i forgot the exact model but yeah i will send this back for a replacement

cmac_57

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
I know this is an old post -- but I felt compelled to respond. I had exactly the same problem with an ASRock Z77 Extreme6. I went through exactly everything you mention in your original post. I went as far as purchasing new RAM, then a new CPU and purely out of frustration I bought a new MoBo just to satisfy my curiosity. The new MoBo worked fine with the old RAM and old processor (i5- 3570K). The replacement board did not care if I put the RAM in matching slots or not. However, just like the manual says... you only get Dual Channel memory if you go A1 & B1 and/or A2 and B2. But, if you install them out of order, they still work as regular single channel memory and add up as you would expect. The bottom line is that there is an inherent defect with the ASRock Z77 motherboards. Updating the BIOS makes no difference. Once the problem shows up (even a year or more down the road) then you are stuck!. Obviously, I don't believe it is a slot problem and troubleshooting the board itself beyond this point is a waste of time. Researching other Z77 MoBo's (under different Mfgr's) may shed some light on the cause, but I personally haven't seen anything like this outside of the ASRock boards.