Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Windows XP 32bit home edition SP3
Radeon HD6850
Asrock 880G pro3 am3+ UEFI
Athlon II x3 445 rana.
4gb G.Skill 1600 DDR3
Im using HDMI output

I have catalyst 11.6 but every time i start up the pc the resolution goes to 748x640.
I can reset it back to 1280x720 but if I do that then try to run a game no resolutions are listed for choosing my full screen resolution. This is driving me nuts any ideas?

Solution
I am not kidding when I say roll back to 11.4, then 11.3. One of those should work. The drivers for the AMD cards are really touchy. One release will work great for you and your setup while it won't work at all for someone else on theirs. They don't seem to be tested all that well before they're released. Also, depending on how many people gripe, they usually release a hotfix (which only AMD would consider a hotfix, because it involves you uninstalling your current drivers and then installing the "hotfix") each month which will correct some of the problems.

I'd say keep rolling back until 11.3 and look for the 11.6 "hotfix" to be released. Make sure both monitors are attached when installing the drivers.

bluesc

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
First of all, I've heard of a lot of problems with catalyst 11.6, try rolling back to 11.5 or 11.4. That probably wont help with the resolution, but it will help in the future anyway.

Have you double checked the power cables leading to the 6850? Are you sure you placed the graphics card on the mobo properly? Also see if you can try a dvi cable, I had too many problems with HDMI with my 6870.

Take the graphics card out, start up your comp, uninstall all of the drivers for your graphics card, shut down the comp, install the graphics card, don't be nervous about applying more pressure, make sure the power cables are installed properly, start up, install catalyst 11.4 - at this point check gpu-z to see if your graphics card is recognised.

If none of that works, you can try disabling onboard graphics, or wait for better advice from someone more experienced than me :).

I am not kidding when I say roll back to 11.4, then 11.3. One of those should work. The drivers for the AMD cards are really touchy. One release will work great for you and your setup while it won't work at all for someone else on theirs. They don't seem to be tested all that well before they're released. Also, depending on how many people gripe, they usually release a hotfix (which only AMD would consider a hotfix, because it involves you uninstalling your current drivers and then installing the "hotfix") each month which will correct some of the problems.

I'd say keep rolling back until 11.3 and look for the 11.6 "hotfix" to be released. Make sure both monitors are attached when installing the drivers.

Solution

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

Apperently it works though with a VGA monitor with a DVI adapter. Would a DVI-HDMI adapter help?

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

ive decided to just buy a new monitor ive found the issue i need a real lcd monitor. anywho is having my issue get a DVI-hdmi adapter or get a DVI monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS