Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBloodedZero

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Putting together a budget system and needed some input. I have a 750 Rosewill Xtreme but I'm not going to risk using it for my first time build because 1 of the fans has already stopped working.

I'm looking at using the OCZ Fatal1ty 550 Watt PSU since it is affordable. I do not have plans to overclock and will not be running Crossfire.

First time build spec:

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX AM3+
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Quad 3.1 GHz 95W
GPU: XFX Radeon 6870 HD ][ 500W or Great PSU required. ][
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4) 1600 DDR3
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular PSU
HDD: 1 TB WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM
Rom: Lightscribe CD/DVD Rom
Fans: 2x 120mm

I feel paranoid about using 550W but it's all that I can afford.
I still have learning to do and getting hands on will only benefit me. I've done my research, but Google and this forum's search hasn't turned up anything about the worth of a 550W PSU for such a newer build.

Thoughts/Input/Constructive Criticism greatly appreciated.

Solution
For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is recommended.

The OCZ FATAL1TY Series 550W (OCZ550FTY), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37.5 Amps and with one 6-pin and one 6+2-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors is more than enough. There is even some spare capacity to do some overclocking of the CPU and GPU if you want to.
If you will not be overclocking then it will be enough.

BUT you can get alot better system for alot less. It does not make sense ti go for FX if you will not be overclocking.

They are a dissapointing set of processors anyway.

Even an I3 would be better for most in my opinion.

IceBloodedZero

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I have mixed feelings myself and I've read a lot of mixed reviews. I've always have used a PC with Intel and since AMD launched their new chip-set, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm still pondering this one over.

I feel better knowing that 550W will be enough as long as I'm not overclocking. Thanks for the input. :)

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card a power supply with a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is recommended.

The OCZ FATAL1TY Series 550W (OCZ550FTY), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37.5 Amps and with one 6-pin and one 6+2-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors is more than enough. There is even some spare capacity to do some overclocking of the CPU and GPU if you want to.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.