I am confused about my computer/ram

Hi everyone (: , I have a Gateway505GR very old computer I am running (2)512mb sticks which = 1gb of RAM and I ordered me (2)1gb DDR400 PC3200 184pins the one needed in order to upgrade this computer. but when I put them in I turn on computer it becomes 3beeps which is the 64k RAM failure problem. BUT when I take it out and leave the (2)512mb sticks computer works just fine. :heink:

Why I'm I getting this problem? if I got the right RAM needed in order to upgrade my computer to 2-3gb or RAM? please help :(

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/Gateway505GR.html

it says what RAM I need and how much is max that I can put on here max is 4gb but I can only have 1gb for some reason. I bought the right one they ask me to get which is DDR400 PC3200 1gb still doesn't work :??:

does that mean I can't upgrade my computer any more?
or do I need to download some kind of certain driver or something :??:
12 answers Last reply
More about confused computer
  1. Ram auto detects the best settings to use at startup. If the RAM are different from each other, the timings of one will be applied to all. This is not good since the RAM sticks may have different timings to run correctly. Try to replace the old RAM with the new RAM, and then keep the old ram out. If it can boot, then try to add the others, but it likely is not going to work. Or you could change the speed of the RAM in the bios to be 333mhz instead of 400mhz or (auto). Does that make sense to you?
  2. I have tried that I took the old rams out then put hte new ones in and they make a 3beep noise
    then I put the 2 old back in and they work fine. I have also tried doing 2old + 1 new = beep noise still
    I think this might help maybe. " Or you could change the speed of the RAM in the bios to be 333mhz instead of 400mhz or (auto" but idk how to do it. since my computer is running with the old ram if I was to do this and put the new ram in would it work?
  3. Yes, you will use the working(old) RAM to get into the BIOS. Then change the speed. Then put all the RAM in and see.
  4. festerovic said:
    Yes, you will use the working(old) RAM to get into the BIOS. Then change the speed. Then put all the RAM in and see.


    Which speed? and how do I get into the BIOS
  5. Oops I pressed submit too early. On the last link, theres an option for SD RAM Frequency, select it and choose 333mhz (or it may also say 166mhz).
  6. Usually right when the computer boots up, you press F1 repeatedly until you see the bios. Please read this as well:

    http://support.gateway.com/s/tutorials/index/Tutorials.asp?cat=2&subcat=8&topic=220&series=2326

    Specifically, go to this page and then Read about Step 4:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/tutorials/Tu_949688.shtml
  7. festerovic said:
    Oops I pressed submit too early. On the last link, theres an option for SD RAM Frequency, select it and choose 333mhz (or it may also say 166mhz).


    Ok thanks so I will choose either 333mhz or 166mhz which ever I see but if I see both? just go with which one
  8. Since DDR means double data rate, the specified RAM speed may be listed as the 166mhz or 200 mhz, but it may actually mean 333mhz or 400mhz. Sometimes the mobo maker will use one or the other method for stating RAM speed. So its confusing. You have to go by the range of speeds its showing. If its like the first example, and it uses 133, 166, 200, then you should use 166mhz. If the range of speeds is 200,266,333,400, then use 333mhz.
  9. festerovic said:
    Since DDR means double data rate, the specified RAM speed may be listed as the 166mhz or 200 mhz, but it may actually mean 333mhz or 400mhz. Sometimes the mobo maker will use one or the other method for stating RAM speed. So its confusing. You have to go by the range of speeds its showing. If its like the first example, and it uses 133, 166, 200, then you should use 166mhz. If the range of speeds is 200,266,333,400, then use 333mhz.



    Alright, well mines was already on 333mhz but it didn't work and then since it was already on 333mhz I went down to 200 something and I used that one and tried it still don't work. I still get the beeping noise which sucks.
  10. It sounds like the new RAM is bad. Can you test it in another PC?
  11. That would be F up if they sent me a used or broken RAM and nope I do not
    BUT if I was to buy (2)512mbs sticks you think that would work instead? or maybe get the same problem.
  12. Sometimes you get RAM that doesn't work well in your PC but might in another. Sometimes the RAM performs under spec, and it causes problems. Sometimes RAM is DOA.

    Also, do you have a video card in the computer, or does it use onboard video?
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Computer