Low Profile Nivida GPU - Dell Optiplex 990

NonComputerSavy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hi there,

I'll keep it brief.

I have a Dell Optiplex 990 (Unsure of the specific model, it's a slim case, with 4 USB ports at the front - Either DT or SFF..) It is all stock at the moment, nothing added/changed so the current GPU is an Intel HD 2000. Now according to the tech-guide from Dell, it is capable of holding a 1GB AMD RADEON HD 6450 or 528mb HD 6350 card.

Being 'one of those guys' who simply don't like ATI/AMD for one reason or another - I was wondering what the Nvidia equivalent would be. Obviously it has to be low profile, but that's as far as I got before getting confused by the massive amount of options.

It appears that the GeForce 450 is a choice. Not too expensive, decent benchmarks etc.. But then I was hit with the question of 'Which one?' because (from what I can gather) the 450 itself isn't a low profile card, however Palit (and perhaps more companies) have released an LP version.

Okay so much for keeping it brief...
Could anyone suggest some Nvidia cards I could take a look at? Preferrably with specifics such as the company who make the specific models.
It doesn't have to be the top of the line, I'm happy with mid-range but currently the card I have won't support the majority of games I play. I suspect that OpenGL is not supported by this Intel card I have.
I am unsure of the exact dimensions for the card but, if it helps, a search on the AMD 6450 indicates that it is 7" x 5.43" - So one would assume the card can be that size or smaller (perhaps slightly larger..).

Thanks for your time and apologies for the long-winded question.

To better describe the model I have, here is a pic. Mine is on the far right.

5428.OptiPlex-990-family.jpg

The four form factors for the Dell OptiPlex 990 are :

Mini-Tower (MT)
Desktop (DT)
Small Form Factor (SFF)
Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF)

What you have is the Desktop (DT).

The only expansion cards that fit into the Desktop (DT) chassis is the half height / low profile versions.

The 250 Watt power supply in the Dell OptiPlex 990 has a +12 Volt current rating of 17.8 Amps.

The best NVIDIA card you're going to be able to use is the GeForce GT 440.

Palit NEAT4400HD01-1081F GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

MSI N440GT-MD1GD3/LP GeForce 440 GT 810MHZ 1024MB 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI HDCP PCI-E Low Profile Design Video Card

The Palit NEAT4400HD01-1081F fits within the Dell OptiPlex 990 desktop's maximum allowable dimensions for an expansion card.

The MSI N440GT-MD1GD3/LP exceeds the maximum allowable dimensions so it may not fit properly.

iiicesariii

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
hi there,

I have a 990 SFF. with a 240w power supply. The video card you are recomending requires a min. of 300W

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks

I was basing it on your statement that points to the Desktop (DT) model:
To better describe the model I have, here is a pic. Mine is on the far right.
The Dell OptiPlex 990 Small Form Factor (SFF) 240W power supply has a maximum +12 Volt current rating of 17 Amps. That's slightly (0.8 Amps) less than the desktop version's 250W power supply's +12V current rating.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply adequacy determination!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The next NVIDIA graphics card that draws less power would be the GeForce GT 430 with a corresponding 17% reduction in performance when compared to the GeForce GT 440.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600007321+600083826+600038364&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Flynch3211

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015

having the correct drivers ( and tools) I was able to fit it an Asus HD 6450 2GB low profile. I didn't had the low profile bracket handy, but I litterally cut (read sawed) the bracket and created a VGA connector low profile bracket. withou changing the power supply, my DT format optipelx 990 now runs a 2gb videocard, with drivers that comes straight from Asus, and it didn't got blocked somehow By Dell either.