Sign in with
Your question

New Build on Old Parts, Comp Boots to Black Screen.

Last response: in Systems
August 27, 2011 12:44:50 AM

Ok, so I recently built a computer on old parts. I have tested the ram with speaker/bios codes and those are fine, swapped both sticks, etc. Hard drive works, (plugged it in and installed windows on another comp since it wasnt popping up before), both integrated and PCI-E card works, however the computer only boots to a black screen. At first I thought it was the CPU, however upon swapping it with a AM3 CPU it still did not boot, even though I know the CPU is working. My only conclusion is that it is either the CMOS (dont think its likely), or overflowing/bulging capacitors, which I dont think I have since both look the same from mobo to mobo. I have also swapped the power supplies as well, and nothing has changed. It popped up with the bios once, with corrupted (chunks of the text were missing) text, and a BSOD saying NTFS.sys was corrupted.

Any help/thoughts/advice appreciated. Thanks.
August 27, 2011 1:20:19 AM

If you installed the OS with the hard drive in another computer, it won't work in the computer you built unless the parts are identical.
August 29, 2011 6:16:57 AM

You know that may be it, even though I installed windows on another comp after it wouldnt boot. I did get the HDD from a friend. Thanks!
!