I7 2600k - Slow Boot (please help!!!)

MGT

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
So I recently built a Custom PC for the first time by myself. It's been 2 almost 2 weeks.

My system specifications are

Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.4 Ghz (Not overclocked)
Asus P8P67 B3.REV
Cossair 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ dual channel.
Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 600 watts PSU
Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5 TB. 64mb cache.
XFX GTS 250 1 GIG (Fetched from my old system, temporarily)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
CPU Cooling = Stock

I don't have an SSD yet therefore i'm using the same WD Green as boot drive despite the fact that they aren't built for using as a boot drive however what concerning me is that after fresh installation of Windows it takes up to 45 seconds till the desktop shows up with just 3 to 4 start-up programs i.e Antivirus, Realtek manager etc it takes up to 1 minute and 20 seconds to get fully functional.

The point where it takes lots of time is the Welcome screen, it stays on there for about 25 to 30 seconds and the circle keeps rolling, it's much slower as opposed to my old Dual core 2.2ghz which sux.

Now I wanna know what could be causing the problem, could it be bad hardware or something?

Once everything gets loaded then it works flawlessly, boot speed is the only thing that's concerning me.

1 - I reinstalled windows like 4 times
2 - Sata mode is on ACHI. I also tried IDE.
3 - I installed all latest drivers including Intel Rapid storage technology.
4 - I also tried my old 80 gb hard drive Maxtor DimondMax21.

After trying all these mentioned above, still no luck!

I am gonna buy an SSD soon however I want to be assured that SSD will lessen the boot time...

It isn't suppose to be taking that much time on that WD Green Caviar either :(

Green means slow..... however

2600k box OC's to 4.8 Ghz, CAS 7 RAM, twin 560 Ti GFX @ 1000 MHz in SLI

Boot time on Seagate Barracuda XT 2 TB - 21.2 seconds
Boot time on Vertex 3 128 GB SSD - 15.6 seconds

Those 5.6 seconds cost $300 at build time (less today).... you gotta decide if its worth it :)

mojiwa

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012

I have the same issue. I bought a Corsair Force 3 GT and when I disconnected the WD Green drive, Windows 7 64-bit loaded in < 8 secs. But when the WD drive was connected, it took 30 seconds.
I'm still trying to work out a way to reduce this time - but the SSD sure as hell speeds things up.