How does the new FZ5 compare to the FZ20?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 27, 2005 4:08:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I found that a new Panasonic FZ5 camera is soon to be released (or perhaps
is available from some sources already). It has a 5 MP sensor, a 12X
optical zoom, and it looks similar to the FZ20 but is $100 cheaper and about
0.3 pounds lighter. Has anyone had experience with this camera, or can you
tell me if this is a more technically advanced/modernized FZ20?

Thanks for any info,
Scott

More about : fz5 compare fz20

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:51:21 PM

Scott Speck <speck82@comcast.net> wrote:
> or can you
> tell me if this is a more technically advanced/modernized FZ20?

No, it's a replacement for the lower-end FZ3.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."
Anonymous

"Scott Speck" <speck82@comcast.net> wrote:

> I found that a new Panasonic FZ5 camera is soon to be released (or perhaps
> is available from some sources already). It has a 5 MP sensor, a 12X
> optical zoom, and it looks similar to the FZ20 but is $100 cheaper and about
> 0.3 pounds lighter. Has anyone had experience with this camera, or can you
> tell me if this is a more technically advanced/modernized FZ20?

The FZ5 competes directly with the Konica Minolta Z5. I just got the Z5
and it is exactly what I wanted.  I take a lot of nature pictures and
needed the anti-shake, zoom and macro features.  The reviews are correct
to use the sharp mode for sharp results.  The down side of the Z5 is its
inability to focus in the dark.  I don't take pictures in the dark so
that is no problem for me.

Here is my take:

Konica Minolta DiMage Z5
Pluses:
+ has CCD anti-shake which uses less power
+ best macro mode to 1 cm.
+ fastest zoom
+ fastest focus
+ fastest save
+ available for $421
+ widest wide angle
+ external flash support with hot shoe
+ supports S-video
+ uses 4 rechargeable NiMH AA cells
+ supports manual focus
+ has widest ISO range
Minuses:
- No focus assist lamp

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
Pluses:
+ at 290 gm is the lightest & smallest
+ focus assist lamp
Minuses:
- not available until April
- no external flash support
- uses Panasonic camcorder battery
- doesn't support S-video movies
- doesn't support manual focus

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ-20
Pluses:
+ supports manual focus
+ external flash support with hot shoe
Minuses:
- uses Panasonic camcorder battery
- doesn't support S-video movies
- is the biggest and heaviest

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to rhodyman@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

One thing it does not have is AF Assist for low light. I do not know
about other things.

Scott Speck wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I found that a new Panasonic FZ5 camera is soon to be released (or perhaps
>is available from some sources already). It has a 5 MP sensor, a 12X
>optical zoom, and it looks similar to the FZ20 but is $100 cheaper and about
>0.3 pounds lighter. Has anyone had experience with this camera, or can you
>tell me if this is a more technically advanced/modernized FZ20?
>
>Thanks for any info,
>Scott

March 29, 2005 1:39:29 AM

> One thing it does not have is AF Assist for low light. I do not know
> about other things.

Pretty sure that is incorrect.

From http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz5-rev...

"The nice features of the FZ3 remain, including full manual controls, a huge
12X stabilized lens, fast performance, and an AF-assist lamp. ".

You can see the af assist lamp in the photos.

Tony
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:58:58 PM

Stephen,

you don't mention articulated (swivelling) viewfinder. Does none
of these cameras have it?

I would probably upgrade from my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1-2 to
the FZ5 pretty soon, if it had a swivelling viewfinder. In
addition I don't like the reduced aperture at the long end of
the zoom.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Anonymous

Hans-Georg Michna <hans-georgNoEmailPlease@michna.com> wrote:

> you don't mention articulated (swivelling) viewfinder. Does none
> of these cameras have it?
>
> I would probably upgrade from my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1-2 to
> the FZ5 pretty soon, if it had a swivelling viewfinder. In
> addition I don't like the reduced aperture at the long end of
> the zoom.

These are not articulating cameras, neither are most other ultra-zoom
cameras, they are considered EVF SLR-like (electronic viewfinder single
lens reflex cameras). Obviously, since they don't have interchangeable
lenses, they are not true SLRs.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to rhodyman@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:51:39 PM

Stephen Henning wrote:
[]
> These are not articulating cameras, neither are most other ultra-zoom
> cameras, they are considered EVF SLR-like (electronic viewfinder
> single lens reflex cameras). Obviously, since they don't have
> interchangeable lenses, they are not true SLRs.

The image-stabilised Nikon Coolpix 8800 has a swivel LCD which answers
most people's needs for articulation. As non-SLRs, they offer neither the
benefits of an SLR, nor do they suffer the drawbacks. They're simply
different.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:24:18 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Stephen Henning wrote:
> > These are not articulating cameras, neither are most other ultra-zoom
> > cameras, they are considered EVF SLR-like (electronic viewfinder
> > single lens reflex cameras). Obviously, since they don't have
> > interchangeable lenses, they are not true SLRs.
>
> The image-stabilised Nikon Coolpix 8800 has a swivel LCD which answers
> most people's needs for articulation. As non-SLRs, they offer neither the
> benefits of an SLR, nor do they suffer the drawbacks. They're simply
> different.

The 8800 is a completely different beast:

Weighs twice as much but can be used as a boat anchor.

Has 20% less zoom range.

Is twice as large (volume).

Has 60% more pixels.

Its Movie Clips are limited to 60 seconds. The others will run until
the memory device is filled.

Costs twice as much.

--
!