Recommended upgrades for my computer

Hi guys, i am just wondering what you guys think i should upgrade on my computer in order to play some upcoming games like battlefield3, elder scrolls, and also some current games like total war shogun 2 and all those games

Right now i have a dell xps

Specs:
Intel E8500 @ 3.16
4gb @ 800mhz
BFG gtx 260
600hb hard drive

i also have a 24 in. 1080p screen
15 answers Last reply
More about recommended upgrades computer
  1. Always depends on how much money you have .......

but IMO the smartest upgrade to your system is to upgrade the graphics card
    A GTX 560ti starts at around $220 on Newegg [after rebates ]
  2. if your going to get a 560ti you'll get a the e8500 bottlenecking, you'll need to oc the e8500
  3. what should i overclock the processor to?
  4. megadelayed said:
    if your going to get a 560ti you'll get a the e8500 bottlenecking, you'll need to oc the e8500

Actually at that resolution and high detail he probably wont .
    Keep in mind that anything over 60 fps will never appear on the screen of a 60 Hz LCD screen anyway . The monitor only refreshes at 60 fps , so any more fps than that is pointless

Salabarria check the BIOS on the Dell . It might not let you over clock . But if it does , and you can fit a cooler like a Scythe Mugen 3 then you expect very decent OC's . 4GHz and more
  5. Outlander_04 said:
    Actually at that resolution and high detail he probably wont .
    Keep in mind that anything over 60 fps will never appear on the screen of a 60 Hz LCD screen anyway . The monitor only refreshes at 60 fps , so any more fps than that is pointless

Salabarria check the BIOS on the Dell . It might not let you over clock . But if it does , and you can fit a cooler like a Scythe Mugen 3 then you expect very decent OC's . 4GHz and more

im just worring about the bottleneck as the e8500 might have a big impact as it bottlenecks anything over gtx275 and the 560ti is a lot faster so im thinking the fp might be really low
    and sorry, i forgot that it is a dell, i dont think you can overclock then as the bios is usually locked in branded computers apart from the really high end ones like alienware
  6. i could overclock on the xps ive done it before
  7. megadelayed said:
    im just worring about the bottleneck as the e8500 might have a big impact as it bottlenecks anything over gtx275 and the 560ti is a lot faster so im thinking the fp might be really low
    and sorry, i forgot that it is a dell, i dont think you can overclock then as the bios is usually locked in branded computers apart from the really high end ones like alienware

I dont think that is correct .

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/55?vs=288

The i5 2500K is superior in some cpu dependent games , at 1680 x 1050
    but as the resolution rises then the margins will close .
    They will close even further if the e8500 is clocked at 4 Ghz

Clearly the 2500k is an awesome multimedia cpu , but for gaming it just doesnt show enough advantage to make it worth replacing a C2D

Get the 560 ti , or a Radeon 6950
    The e8500 can handle it
  8. @ Outlander

Totally agree.
    3.5Ghz will be good with a stock cooler.
  9. The dell xps will have one of their coolers in it . Just watch your temperatures
  10. Outlander_04 said:
    The dell xps will have one of their coolers in it . Just watch your temperatures

the op needs to check if his bios is lpcked or not first tho
  11. megadelayed said:
    the op needs to check if his bios is lpcked or not first tho

I was convinced after reading

"salabarria 08-31-2011 at 05:11:51 AM

i could overclock on the xps ive done it before"

that the BIOS is not locked
  12. just bought the gtx 560 ti and wow its a great improvement.......thanks guys for all the input this card kicks ass
  13. Outlander_04 said:
    I was convinced after reading

"salabarria 08-31-2011 at 05:11:51 AM

i could overclock on the xps ive done it before"

that the BIOS is not locked

did salabarria have a extrem edition in his xps tho?
  14. I have one more question, do you think upgrading my memory from 4gb @ 800 mhz to 8gb mhz would make a big difference in games like Shogun 2 total war, crysis, Witcher 2, and newer games?
  15. salabarria said:
    I have one more question, do you think upgrading my memory from 4gb @ 800 mhz to 8gb mhz would make a big difference in games like Shogun 2 total war, crysis, Witcher 2, and newer games?

No difference at all.

Run your game in a window and open task manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
    Have a look at the running processes , and see how much memory the game is actually using .
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Dell Studio Xps Computer Games Systems