ASUS P8Z77-V Front Panel USB 3.0 Issue

eyesky

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard and have the same problem. All the back panel USB 3.0 are working, but the front panel USB 3.0 is not working. However, when I connect front panel USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 headers on MoBo (my case is Shinobi and its front panel USB 3.0 has both 20 pin and 9 pin cables for both USB 3.0 & USB 2.0), they work. So, i think that rules out the defective USB 3.0 ports on the case.

To be more specific, front panel USB 3.0, when connected to 20 pin header on motherboard, do not recognize my external hard drive, ipod, and canon camera. However, oddly enough, my coolermaster quickfire keyboard works when connected to front panel USB 3.0 ports, however windows reports the device was not recognized and the driver failed to install!

And here is a picture of 30 pin and 9 pin cables to front panel USB 3.0 ports for Shinobi case:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofiversion/index.php?t48549.html

Also, I should mention that I have the latest Intel & Asmedia drivers installed, and everything in Bios including USB 3.0 legacy option is enabled.

I have exchanged several emailes with ASUS technical support, but it seems they even do not know what I am talking about!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
Your's is the first I've heard of this problem. If the motherboard driver for the 20 pin header isn't installed, Windows doesn't know it exists. Do you have any yellow exclamation mark flags in Device Manager? Btw, it's a 20 pin header; they just use only 19 pins.

Another possibility is that the FP's 20 pin connector is mis-wired or in some way defective. Do you have access to a friend's board w/20 pin header to try it on?

eyesky

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Thanks for your reply. No, it is not my motherboard picture :) . Just linked that page because the second picture shows my case's USB 3.0 cable that also has USB 2.0 connector. So, I could try the ports with both types of headers on the motherboard.

When I connect my external hard drive, the windows gives me the error message "that the USB device is not recognized". Shouldn't I get any message from the windows if the USB 3.0 on MoBo was faulty? I assume there is still some communication between USB 3.0 and windows that windows can understand a USB device is connected but cannot recognize what type it is. Also, I can connect my keyboard to that USB 3.0 port and it works fine. So could the USB 3.0 header be still faulty? (Also, I should mention that USB 3.0 on my MoBo is 19 pin and not 20 pin, and case's USB 3.0 is 19 pin too. Does it make any difference?).

Also, I saw in an Intel forum that many Intel's Z77 motherboard's had the same problem, but seems there is no solution to it yet. I do not know if this ASUS MoBo has the same problem or is it a different one? Is this a widespread issue with all of Z77 MoBos? or Could it be an intel's driver issue yet to be resolved?... I hope I should not go through the headache of RMA process.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your's is the first I've heard of this problem. If the motherboard driver for the 20 pin header isn't installed, Windows doesn't know it exists. Do you have any yellow exclamation mark flags in Device Manager? Btw, it's a 20 pin header; they just use only 19 pins.

Another possibility is that the FP's 20 pin connector is mis-wired or in some way defective. Do you have access to a friend's board w/20 pin header to try it on?

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

This does not mean anything.

Your keyboard is a legacy USB 1.0/1.1/2.0 device that uses the D+ and D- pins for half-duplex communication at up to 480Mbps.

USB3.0 has an extra row of five connections (TX+, TX-, GND, RX+ and RX-) which are used for double-simplex communication at 5Gbps and up.

You cannot test a port's USB3 connectivity without a USB3 device. When you connect the USB2 header, your ports can only support the USB2 connection.

make sure you install all the mb bios updates there are a few for usb devices fix. also make sure your using the newest intel chipset drivers and the newest drivers for the third party usb chipset. (in your bios check the setting of the third party usb chipsets.)

eyesky

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
The problem is solved now. The culprit was the unusual Bitfenix Shinobi Window case USB 3.0 cable, and not a Z77 MoBo issue (as discussed in this interesting thread: http://communities.intel.com/message/157911 ), which I feared the most.

Just in summery, to get both USB 3.0 & backward USB 2.0 compatibility of Bitfenix Shinobi USB 3.0 ports, the cable should be connected to MoBo's both USB 3.0 header & USB 2.0 header. I just had connected it to USB 3.0 header, and all the devices that I tested on it were USB 2.0, which they were not recognized. But, when I bought a USB 3.0 flash driver, it could be recognized on those front panel ports.

Also, I bought a USB 3.0 front panel adapter (Cooler Master), and when connected to MoBo, it could recognize both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices.

So for Shinobi case owners with front panel USB 3.0: if you want USB 2.0 compatibility of your USB 3.0 ports as well, you should connect USB 2.0 part of the cable to MoBo's USB 2.0 header. However, in my case, when the cable is connected to USB 3.0 header, the USB 2.0 part is too short and does not reach mo MoBo's USB 2.0 header.

Here, is a picture, of Bitfenix Shinobi Case unusual UBS 3.0 cable for those who are interested (second picture in the webpage). http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofiversion/index.php?t48549.html

mizr3en

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my USB3.0 ports (Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower case), but it wasn't just the front ports that weren't working it was all of them, even the ones soldered to the mother board. I would be able to recognize my usb 3.0 devices by using a 2.0 cable but not with a 3.0 cable. At one point, some of the ports were working and others weren't... everything was really finicky and NONE of the drivers from Asus' site were helping. Anyway I was able to get my usb3.0 device to work by installing this driver (Intel USB 3.0 Driver V 1.0.5.235 for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit was installed, don't know if this matters): Version 3.0.23.0 Pour Windows Xp/Vista/7/8 32/64bits

I have an Asus P8Z77-V motherboard. It was a huge pain to get this thing up and running, Asus has a lot of crap you need to download but they don't make it clear what's needed. I would recommend first downloading their "AI Suite II" utility (~200MB) thing that's supposed to find what you need and download it for you, don't waste your time contacting Asus because they're just going to tell you to check your BIOS settings. If this new drive doesn't work, make sure you update your BIOS, download the P8Z77-V-ASUS-1616 (or newest version) .CAP file from Asus' website (link above) and re-name it Z77VB.CAP or whatever AI Suite II tells you the current filename is. Then in AI Suite II, click "update" on the bottom and select "ASUS Update." The only thing that shows up for me is a BIOS update option, select "Update BIOS from File" and browse to file, that's it the software will do the rest. You don't need to deal with the USB update stuff.

Good luck!

add1989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

I'm having issues with USB 2.0 devices being recognised for a while but then the USB 3.0 controller seems to 'crash' because it says the device is unrecognised and then putting anything into the USB ports doesn't even trigger the device added/removed sounds until I reboot. I've been trying to find a better driver to install than the Microsoft one but all the ones I've tried (which said Windows 7) do not seem to play well with Windows 8. Has anyone got any tips on how I can get a better driver? I have a P8Z77-M motherboard. I've tried the stupid 'Asus USB 3.0 Boost' utility which is useless.

Adam