Very Nervous help fast!

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
please help i customized an ordered a computer for my friend yesterday and i got him this power supply on cyberpower. I looked and it had a 5 year warranty so i thought it would be okay. I did this to save money becuase we couldnt upgrade to the corsair 850w which i wanted for him in the first place but he told me to scimp on some parts becuz it was too expensive.
any i enede up going with this 850 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU
and im hearing very bad review on it made the mistak of not checking reviews before buying. I dont belive it will be any where near max consumption
GTX 570
i5 2500k OC 3.7ghz
8 gigs of ram
1HDD
1OD
plenty of fans
my question is. Is it worth it to upgrade to the corsair or will this thing be fine for a long time?

It's very hard to predict the life span of a power supply. Too many folks touch and fiddle with their pc's, overclocking and moving components around the case. Thermaltake is a mid range brand, not as good as some others, but if the 12v rail is the minimum required for the 570, then it should work fine. I never recommend building for a friend or family member. If something goes wrong, you get the blame.

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

its from cyberpoerpc. i dont think ill be blamed but that is exactly what im worried about. Im considered the techi in my group of friends and i dont want this thing to blow out. trust me he wont be touching anything inside or in the software. whatever it cam as is what it is staying as. what do you think the power consumption of this system is? i know its nowhere near 850w right?

Normally you want the power supply to run at 80% load. So if you use the 850, then 650 watts is the max recommended load for the ps. You can calculate the total system load by using some software programs. I would google for " computer power consumption calculator" and see what software is listed. You can also use a simple killowatt meter that newegg sells.