Sign in with
Your question

Cheap Reliable AM3 Micro ATX motherboards

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • ATX
Last response: in Motherboards
August 31, 2012 6:55:12 AM

I've been looking around for a decent mobo to replace my current dying Am2+ mobo. I need something thats under 100 canadian dollars and it has to be within Canada (most american companies don't ship to canada).

I'm looking for a cheap and reliable Am3 (or AM3+) motherboard that I can depend on since I don't have the money to buy more motherboards.

I live in the Durham region in Southern Ontario, so I have access to Best Byte and Canada Computers (both are within bus distance), while I can shop online at Tigerdirect or newegg canada. I'll accept suggestions from any of those 4 retailers.

Like I said, it has to be under 100 bucks and has to be reliable, and like the title says, I need a micro ATX mobo (I don't have any ATX cases and I really don't want to make a computer case out of cardboard). It also must support DDR3 RAM (I'm not sticking with DDR2 since its so slow to me now)

I really hope to get some decent suggestions soon, as I wont have 100 bucks forever.

More about : cheap reliable am3 micro atx motherboards

a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2012 7:39:44 AM

so u will need just mobo (reuse the ddr2) or it will mobo and new DDR3 ram for 100 CAD ?
m
l
August 31, 2012 8:15:37 AM

No, the DDR2 I have will goto my sisters computer, while I'll be taking 2 4GB sticks from my dad's pc till I can afford my own DDR3 Ram.

I'm just looking for a good motherboard, no ram, no cpu, I have everything i need aside from the motherboard.

I was looking at both the Asus M5A78L-M LX+ and the ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX
Both are under 100 bucks and available on Newegg Canada.

Though I read up on the M5A78L-M LX+ and it seems to have problems with DOA's on parts or all of the motherboard

Only thing I don't like about the ASRock one is the feed back complains of the board being flimsy (I'm not one for being gentle when things don't go in when they should)

I could possibly go for a Full ATX Mobo but I don't really want to have to assemble a cardboard case, though I have enough double thick cardboard from a Office chair I got recently
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 31, 2012 8:34:11 AM

That clears things...

I'm cannot give recommendation, since I'm not anywhere near Canada.. (I'm also had bias towards gigabyte mobo :D )

edit: please make sure the proc is within 95watt thermal, micro ATX board is picky about that (125w might not work) since they only had little power phase...
and no O.C recommended :bounce: 
m
l
August 31, 2012 9:14:55 AM

abekl said:
Either of these boards will do you just fine:

GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

ASUS M5A88-M
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Both look nice, though I may have to convince my dad to let me get one of those, since we only have so much for Bill's and food until next month (and my mobo might not survive till then)

I wonder how fast Purolator Express is, I'd hate to have to wait forever for a mobo that I need
m
l
a c 128 V Motherboard
August 31, 2012 9:25:03 AM

Well, good luck. I hope it works out for you.
m
l
August 31, 2012 9:40:37 AM

abekl said:
Well, good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Well looking at both, both of their north bridge heat sinks will get in the way of my coolers mounting clip, which needs a fair amount of space to turn the lock on it to keep it tight.
m
l
a c 128 V Motherboard
August 31, 2012 9:52:46 AM

nekomastermax said:
Well looking at both, both of their north bridge heat sinks will get in the way of my coolers mounting clip, which needs a fair amount of space to turn the lock on it to keep it tight.

I find that hard to believe. There appears to be ample space around the NB on both boards.

What cooler are you using?
m
l
August 31, 2012 10:26:13 AM

abekl said:
I find that hard to believe. There appears to be ample space around the NB on both boards.

What cooler are you using?

I have a Asus Triton 70, its a fair sized Dual fan cooler with a long locking lug. I've already bent the crap out of my M3A78-VM's North bridge heatsink (and I've only removed the cooler like, 4 times since i got the mobo in 2008)
m
l
August 31, 2012 11:00:12 AM

Well, I went with the ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX. I hope its worth the 65 bucks plus shipping and taxes. My dad was a little annoyed that the ASRock costed more then the mobo I was originally planning on getting at a local store.

Now to wait forever for my motherboard to come (I have no faith in delivery services)
m
l
August 31, 2012 11:07:29 PM

nekomastermax said:
Both look nice, though I may have to convince my dad to let me get one of those, since we only have so much for Bill's and food until next month (and my mobo might not survive till then)

I wonder how fast Purolator Express is, I'd hate to have to wait forever for a mobo that I need

Hello Nekomastermax,

For more information on transit time, you can contact us directly at customer.care@purolator.com. We'll be able to provide you all the details.

Best regards,

Catherine Côté
Social Media Coordinator / Customer Care Team
Purolator Inc.www.Purolator.com
E-mail / Courriel: customer.care@purolator.com
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/purolatorhelp
m
l
September 1, 2012 11:41:39 AM

damn, I hate when I waste peoples time... My card kept getting declined for some lame reason so I had to go over to Whitby and get a motherboard from my favorite computer shop (Best Byte). I went with the ASUS M5A97-R2.0 AM3 mobo and a new case to hold it all. I love the new board though the lack of onboard graphics kinda sucks (incase I need it when my video card dies).

Only problem I have is noisy fans, but my old computer was pretty loud anyways, so its nothing new. I'll figure something out in the mean time.

Anyways thanks for your help people, sorry that it was wasted though... :( 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2012 1:34:54 PM

Well it's fine catually, I got time to waste anyways... wkkwkk (it's a good way to get rid of boredoom :D  )

m
l
!