Your question

Broken Links to Report

Tags:
  • Site Bug Reports
  • PDF
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Forum Feedback
November 26, 2008 8:29:53 AM

First of all, I get an "Error: 404 - Sorry! The page you requested couldn't be found" when I try to access this article:

Does Linux Have Game?
http://www.tomshardware.com/business/20041230/index.htm...

Even if this article is outdated, I was looking forward to reading that...

Also, at the bottom of the "Graphics Beginners' Guide":

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thg-graphics-card-b...

There is a link with the description "You can download the full article in PDF format !"

http://www.tomshardware.com/cgi-bin/downloads.m?id=15

Unfortunately, that too is a broken link.

BTW: While we're on the subject, I really would appreciate it if more of THG's feature articles (such as "Graphics Beginners' Guide") were offered as PDF downloads. Not everyone has broadband access 24/7 and those who do take it for granted that they can simply use a bookmark to access it almost instantly. And, downloading a PDF is more environmentally friendly, versus printing out all that paper and killing countless trees needlessly...

More about : broken links report

November 26, 2008 11:54:10 AM

for your last point > file > save as will save any webpage to your computer no need to print, or lookup offline explorer in google, it lets you download full websites or pages of a site.
November 26, 2008 9:44:16 PM

I think the tomshardware.com/business section is gone. They've changed the URL structure around a bit, but it usually redirects now. I can't find the article by googling either, just links to it that don't work.
Related resources
November 28, 2008 8:24:59 AM

If you have Acrobat Pro, you can save webpages as PDF files, or copy all the text into word or something. I'm sure you can figure something?
November 29, 2008 12:27:39 AM

amdfangirl said:
If you have Acrobat Pro, you can save webpages as PDF files, or copy all the text into word or something. I'm sure you can figure something?

Yes. I did try the Foxit PDF Creator, which allows to you "print" a webpage as PDF. (It simulates a printer, but saves as PDF.) But, using this method can have it's drawbacks. (Aside from this being an evaluation version of a commercial product.)

In the case of saving the recent "VGA Charts" or graphics card charts, the result was pretty ugly! That's because there is still no "printer-friendly" version of the VGA charts. So you have to print with all the advertisements and the formatting, which was not designed to be printed. Worse, the bars in the charts are missing! Even with the 'print background images' option on the bars do not show up.

Finally, yes I could simply save the page as HTML or MHT (Microsoft's web archive). But this has drawbacks, too. For one thing, the .mht format is not supported by Mozilla Firefox. And saving as HTML (with images) creates a whole mess of seperate files and images, which bloats the size even bigger than necessary.

In all seriousness: Is it asking too much to ask for a link to PDF versions of things like online tutorials, Wiki help files, and "Beginners Guides" ? :(  Except in the case of Wiki's, I would think it should not take the author much more effort to create a PDF. At least, THG used to do this.
November 29, 2008 6:20:10 AM

I do not work for Best of Media... so don't ask me...

Send them a complaint email. Almost nothing gets heard here...
November 30, 2008 2:16:30 AM

amdfangirl said:
I do not work for Best of Media... so don't ask me...

Send them a complaint email. Almost nothing gets heard here...

I resemble that remark. :sol: 
December 7, 2008 11:16:18 AM

On top of the other comments has the OP tried PDF Creator? You install it as a printer driver and then you can print from any application directly to a PDF file through the Windows printing sub system. I've used it when testing report creators and it works a treat. Free too :) 
!