Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Thermaltake Element G- case fans help (how to turn them on)

Last response: in Components
November 26, 2011 5:54:32 PM

The case of my pc is a Thermaltake Element G case, and has a bunch of case fans in it - one on the front, one in the back, top, and side.

However I can't figure out how to get the fans on or connect it to motherboard or whatever I need to connect it to.

The only fan I figured out how to get on is the non-led fan at the back - that one has a regular connector I could plug into the motherboard.

The others I can't figure out though, does anyone know?
I think I found the connector that will power it but I don't know what to plug it into. It has 4 large-ish pins in a row. If that's the fan power, what do I plug that into?
November 27, 2011 1:42:17 AM

Well, I just finished my first build, so I'm probably not a good one to offer an opinion, but nobody else seems to have replied for hours so let's see if (???) I can help.

My build used a Corsair 400R which has 3 fans, two behind the front grill and one in the back. The one in the back connected to the motherboard Case Fan pins, but the two in the front came out to a standard power supply connector (Molex, you can Google it, 4 pins like you said). My Antec power supply has a whole lot of Molex, SATA, video card and other power connectors coming off the octopus of wires.

As I said, I am a noob so take what I said with a grain of salt.
Score
November 27, 2011 1:50:54 AM

My psu has something that looks like a molex, I have it plugged into my PSU but the fans aren't running...
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
November 27, 2011 3:28:02 AM

My look at the manual for this case suggests that it has its own fan control system built into the top front. From that it has one connector that looks like it plugs into one of the 4-pin Molex power supply output connectors, and this provides power to the three "normal" case fans. (There are instructions for adding more fan(s) to the bottom front of the case.) Each of the three "normal" fans has a connector that plugs into a matching connector coming from that built-in controller at the top of your case - see manual page 17. Watch carefully for labels to plug the right one into the right one. Once that is done, page 16 of the manual shows you how to use the controls on the case top front to control fan speeds and lights.
November 27, 2011 4:10:37 AM

Thanks paperdoc

but the fans still don't run.

My power supply's molex plug is connected to the molex that should power the fans but it isn't.

Although I noticed something, maybe it the fan molex connector is broken?

One of the wires coming into the plug seems to be sort of frayed at the end, and the metal of the wires are visible. hopefully its not damaged...
Score
November 27, 2011 4:47:43 AM

Yup, that was it! I tried stuffing those frayed wires into the hole it should go in, IT WORKS!

this is awesome

If those wires ever come out, would it be safe to try taping it against the plug so it doesn't?
Score
November 27, 2011 9:17:20 PM

Best answer selected by TheRedStorm.
Score
!