Are the GTX 600 series or Radeon 7000 expected soon

stealthdf2

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Are the GTX 600 series or Radeon 7000 expected soon, as in before the release of bf3? All i can find is reference point to Q2 of 2011 but that covers april may and june which is nearing an end with no word yet.

I am building a new PC and if the new cards aren't coming before BF3 i am inclined to spend the big bucks for the best card(s) i can get now. If they are due to release before BF3 then i get a single 570 and wait for the new models and then use the 570 to upgrade my old (current) rig to hand down to my nephew.

I'd recommend getting the GTX 560Ti. It can run many games at maximum settings.

Also, a CPU can be a bottleneck if it's not good enough so your nephew's system might not be able to utilize above a certain quality of graphics card anyway.

You can Google the CPU comparison charts. It's difficult to compare, but I believe an older X2-4800+ (non-overclocked) bottlenecks most games when paired with an HD4770 graphics card.

An i5-750 can easily support TWO 560Ti's.

**If your nephew ever needs to overclock his CPU here's some details:
1) Run Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and observe "performance" after playing a game for at least five minutes (view ALL threads, not just the average). If a single thread is 100% he may be bottlenecked by the CPU. If two or more are at 100% at any time he certainly is getting bottlenecked.

Games vary on how much CPU or GPU they use. A gaming system is said to be perfectly balanced for processing when 50% of the games are bottlenecked at the CPU and 50% of the games are not (bottlnecked at the GPU).

2) Even a $20 heatsink+fan can make a huge difference in a reliable overclock. Always replace stock HSF's anyway. The BIOS must be set correctly to ensure fan speed control.

NCIX has a good selection of HSF's.

stealthdf2

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011

Hey great advice there and you are right i had not given thought to the CPU begin able to even put a powerful card to work. Also that system has only a 530w PSU in it so it most definitely cannot use the above card i posted. It will have to be much weaker so i will just have to make that a separate purchase when BF3 comes out and the price on such a card will be way lower at that time.

With my new system I have a budget of 3k for the tower and I will only play on 1080p with maybe the option to do 3d later on as a treat(makes me lean toward nvidia). I really want to just build the ultimate system right now but when i think new series of cards may come at end of the summer it makes me want to wait.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
You will need a 3GHz+ AMD quad core or equivalent C2Q not to bottleneck a 570GTX. If u are running a 3GHz or so dual core, 560GTX is all u want.