Sign in with
Your question

Are the GTX 600 series or Radeon 7000 expected soon

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2011 1:42:10 AM

Are the GTX 600 series or Radeon 7000 expected soon, as in before the release of bf3? All i can find is reference point to Q2 of 2011 but that covers april may and june which is nearing an end with no word yet.

I am building a new PC and if the new cards aren't coming before BF3 i am inclined to spend the big bucks for the best card(s) i can get now. If they are due to release before BF3 then i get a single 570 and wait for the new models and then use the 570 to upgrade my old (current) rig to hand down to my nephew.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2011 1:50:58 AM

Maybe, new GPU's tend to release like every 6 months. So we might.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2011 1:51:37 AM

I say get your GTX 570, that will be more than enough for gaming for some good time.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2011 1:54:17 AM

Probably late 2011/early 2012. wait a few months, bf3 specs will be released and nvidia/amd will have updated us with their plans
a c 162 U Graphics card
June 25, 2011 5:02:05 AM

I'd recommend getting the GTX 560Ti. It can run many games at maximum settings.

Also, a CPU can be a bottleneck if it's not good enough so your nephew's system might not be able to utilize above a certain quality of graphics card anyway.

You can Google the CPU comparison charts. It's difficult to compare, but I believe an older X2-4800+ (non-overclocked) bottlenecks most games when paired with an HD4770 graphics card.

An i5-750 can easily support TWO 560Ti's.

**If your nephew ever needs to overclock his CPU here's some details:
1) Run Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and observe "performance" after playing a game for at least five minutes (view ALL threads, not just the average). If a single thread is 100% he may be bottlenecked by the CPU. If two or more are at 100% at any time he certainly is getting bottlenecked.

Games vary on how much CPU or GPU they use. A gaming system is said to be perfectly balanced for processing when 50% of the games are bottlenecked at the CPU and 50% of the games are not (bottlnecked at the GPU).

2) Even a $20 heatsink+fan can make a huge difference in a reliable overclock. Always replace stock HSF's anyway. The BIOS must be set correctly to ensure fan speed control.

NCIX has a good selection of HSF's.
June 25, 2011 7:56:26 AM

photonboy said:
I'd recommend getting the GTX 560Ti. It can run many games at maximum settings.

Also, a CPU can be a bottleneck if it's not good enough so your nephew's system might not be able to utilize above a certain quality of graphics card anyway.

You can Google the CPU comparison charts. It's difficult to compare, but I believe an older X2-4800+ (non-overclocked) bottlenecks most games when paired with an HD4770 graphics card.

An i5-750 can easily support TWO 560Ti's.

**If your nephew ever needs to overclock his CPU here's some details:
1) Run Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and observe "performance" after playing a game for at least five minutes (view ALL threads, not just the average). If a single thread is 100% he may be bottlenecked by the CPU. If two or more are at 100% at any time he certainly is getting bottlenecked.

Games vary on how much CPU or GPU they use. A gaming system is said to be perfectly balanced for processing when 50% of the games are bottlenecked at the CPU and 50% of the games are not (bottlnecked at the GPU).

2) Even a $20 heatsink+fan can make a huge difference in a reliable overclock. Always replace stock HSF's anyway. The BIOS must be set correctly to ensure fan speed control.

NCIX has a good selection of HSF's.

Hey great advice there and you are right i had not given thought to the CPU begin able to even put a powerful card to work. Also that system has only a 530w PSU in it so it most definitely cannot use the above card i posted. It will have to be much weaker so i will just have to make that a separate purchase when BF3 comes out and the price on such a card will be way lower at that time.

With my new system I have a budget of 3k for the tower and I will only play on 1080p with maybe the option to do 3d later on as a treat(makes me lean toward nvidia). I really want to just build the ultimate system right now but when i think new series of cards may come at end of the summer it makes me want to wait.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2011 8:00:19 AM

You will need a 3GHz+ AMD quad core or equivalent C2Q not to bottleneck a 570GTX. If u are running a 3GHz or so dual core, 560GTX is all u want.
!