Sign in with
Your question

Does the Resolution of your Monitor limit your AA settings

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2011 1:55:32 AM

I have a monitor that displays 1680x1050. I play BFBC2 and i am only able to get 16x for the AA and i want to get 32. I have 2 ATI 6970 cards which i would think would do to the trick. Can someone please tell me if the resolution of the monitor can limit your AA settings? If so any monitor suggestions.

the reason is i am trying to get 32xMSAA in Battlefield bad company 2 for the PC but can only go to 16x. I have 8GB of 1600 ram
a c 123 C Monitor
June 25, 2011 2:31:32 AM

The highest level of MSAA is 16xEQ. However, can you really tell a difference after x8?

If you are trying to get more things to smooth out after x8, that would likely mean there are edges that are not applying AA to it and no amount more MSAA is going to fix it. If BFBC2 is in DX9, you should try using SuperSampling AA instead. That should fix the edges you are having troubles with.
a b C Monitor
June 25, 2011 3:47:35 AM

No, resolution does not affect AA, though it can make aliasing worse by having fewer pixels for an edge to spread across. ^Right, can you even tell?
Related resources
June 27, 2011 11:30:31 PM

Thanks all,

I am not having trouble with my picture now or ever. The thing is apparently some maps with the "fog of war" the fog is elimated when you are able to go up to 32xmsaa. So has been what i have been told by those who are able to do that. Now most seem to have Nvidia cards but a XFX 6970 is not a slouch card at all and especially running just 1 monitor and having 2 cards in SLI i should be able to crank things up a bit more.

a c 123 C Monitor
June 27, 2011 11:58:37 PM

Read this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/anti-aliasing-nvidi...

It seems that HD Radeon's x16 is higher quality than Nvidia's x32.

Basically, the Radeon's x16 is 16 samples. Nvidia's x32 is 8 samples with 24 coverage samples on top of it. Nvidia's 8xQ is like the Radeon's 8x. Nvidia's naming convention is confusing.

The Radeon's 16xEQ is 16 samples + 16 coverage samples, resulting in the best of the AA levels. However, as noted in the article, it's hard to see any real difference beyond x8.
July 5, 2011 5:09:50 AM

So the monitor size and resolution has nothing to do with how high or what levels of AA you can set your games at???
a c 123 C Monitor
July 5, 2011 5:17:32 AM

wobachuck said:
So the monitor size and resolution has nothing to do with how high or what levels of AA you can set your games at???

No, it doesn't have an effect. But like I said, while AMD/ATI's high AA is listed as 16xEQ, it's high quality than Nvidia's 32x, and you aren't likely going to want anything beyond x8 anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it.
!