Your question

Ok debate with .com vs .local thing

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
October 17, 2010 12:02:55 AM

Hey folks! Just need a little advice here. Am still kind off new to this so any HELP is munch appreciated!!!

I recently got myself static IP to host my own website and email server. My ISP gave me 5 static IPs with a DDNS. I have a few questions due to all the talk of "practices" and stuff NEED HELP FROM PROS HERE.

1. Should I assign a designated IP for my Email server? and another for my webserver? or can I run both on the same machine with DNS and AD DC??? I have a router and the ISP gave me another one (Cisco) with VPN and all but I wonder what is better...or safer?

2. Should I name my Domain with .com or .local? I have DNS resolution issues for some reason I can remote in by IP but not DNS.

3.I am doing these things to better practice myself for future exams and better my skills in my field, I don't want to have Certs and not know what Im doing so yeah I invested is this good or am I playing with fire here? (I know how to block ports, port forward, AD DC and stuff not a pro but have worked on them before) Its the whole .local .com thing that got me. And I already have a domain name.

ANY help from seasoned network admins is munch appreciated and I am using three machines (Windows7 Pro, Windows XP Pro Windows server 2008 Standard) :hello: 

P.S. This is a small notwork I'm configuring only 3 to 5 users. We are all experienced with the basics but trying to get our feet wet before engaging in larger scale networks.

More about : debate local thing

October 18, 2010 1:13:06 PM

Name the domain with the .local - if you do the .com it will cause DNS issues internally.

For your IP for email. It depends on what you want to do. If you are using it for internal email, you would not want it to have a public facing IP address. You will want it behind a firewall if possible. You can use your router to forward the information.

The static IP addresses will be good if you have a router that can be configured. If you have a SOHO router you'll be hard pressed.

The idea is that you would use those static IP addresses to point to a resource on your network but your router would do the NAT translation and point it to an internet resource. With that static IP, you can set up external DNS to point to it as well. Regardless, you still need a firewall and/or ACL in place to reduce attacks.
m
l
October 18, 2010 6:39:08 PM

BTW-

If you set your namespace to .local you will be able to differentiate between internal and external. If you do .com, you won't be able to access the website from internal DNS if the website and domain are the same name. You would need to enter in DNS records to make this work.
m
l
!