Mac aDDRESS aSIGNMENT

JJOFTHEUSA

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello,
I AM GETTING A MAC ADDRESS OF "FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF" FROM SOMEONE ADDRESSING MY WIRELESS NETWORK. I HAVE MADE IT MY POLICY TO BLOCK ALL NETWORK DEVICES VIA THEIR MAC ADDRESS WHILE LEAVING IT OPEN TO PCs. WHEN I TRY TO BLOCK THIS ADDRESS MY ROUTER SAYS IT CAN NOT EXCEPT THIS ADDRESS AS A LEGAL ADDRESS. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME JUST WHAT NETWORK DEVICE COULD USING THIS MAC ADDRESS?

Solution
Packets sent to the broadcast address, all one bits, are received by all stations on a local area network. In hexadecimal the broadcast address would be FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. A broadcast frame is flooded and arrives at all nodes. It is accepted by all nodes.
Packets sent to the broadcast address, all one bits, are received by all stations on a local area network. In hexadecimal the broadcast address would be FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. A broadcast frame is flooded and arrives at all nodes. It is accepted by all nodes.

Solution
G

"MADE IT MY POLICY TO BLOCK ALL NETWORK DEVICES VIA THEIR MAC ADDRESS WHILE LEAVING IT OPEN TO PCs."

The MAC ID (or Media Access Code) is a unique number assigned to every piece of networking equipment at the time of manufacture. It applies to all networking gear for use by PCs and equally to Apple's networkable products. MAC is not the same as Mac.