Windows Power Cord/Login Freeze-up problem

cgkremer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I run w7 on a dell alienware and can not get windows to boot up. The re-ocurring problem: If the power cord gets knocked out windows locks up. When I reboot everything starts up as should be, however instead of loading the login screen the screen goes black...I have control over my mouse for about 5 seconds then it locks up again.

I have had this problem before and took the lazy route to try to fix it. System Retore from safe mode worked no problem.

Now the problem I am seeing is that System Recovery is unable to do its job for unspecified reasons.

I guess thas two problems...any help is appreciated. Prepared to do a fresh install but don't wanna =/

thenetizens

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I have a doubt ... What does locking up mean ?

Is it hanging ? or turning off ?

If it is turning off.... whenever the power cord is removed, then it could be a problem with the laptop battery connections.
Once try removing your laptop's battery and then connect it to power source with the adapter and check if everything is fine. If all is good now, then the problem is most probably with the battery or the connections from it. My friend recently faced such a problem.

Regards

cgkremer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Sorry what I meant is when the power cord gets knocked out (Aparently only sometimes cuz i just pulled it out manually just before I posted this and it stayed on reserve power) *Windows* freezes - no mouse or keyboard interaction. I see the last screen I was on and it just stays there till I reboot.

*NOTE: I have seen several times a tooltip popup from the battery icon in the systray stating that I am not using a dell power cord or some non sense even though this is the one that came with the computer. Only think I can really think of in relation to your batter/turning off scenario.