1-1-1 possible 98h code on Gateway please help

OuttaOC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Bought this pc from bestbuy two years ago, installed an hd6450 silent(no fan) from frys, after installing the pc would eventually freeze, (thought to be from heat a restart would always cure the problem for a while or the rest of my session)

Last night, logged out of minecraft (I know...) and turned off my tv (hdmi to flatscreen tv) left the pc on, came out this morning turned the tv on and just saw the bouncing "no signal" logo. I've run into this problem once b4 and had to bring out my old monitor and use the dvi cable to set up dual monitors and then disable them again.

However when I restarted today I was greeted by one long beep and two short beeps, repeating until I turn the pc off.

Pc has 8gb of ram, I switched them making sure the chip from the blue went in the alternate blue same for black, same problem. I haven't tried with only 1 stick yet.

Gateway says this is code 98h and a "memory not supported RDRAM" http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/4000474/400047431.shtml

However ... As I search my tabs I don't see the page, but I was wondering if it has something to do with the video card. I thought I saw a possible 3 beep error code associated with gateway and video cards however the only stuff I see now for 3 beeps is memory issues.

I'm not sure where to start, I reseated the video card, swapped the ram(but that wouldn't help if I just relocated the bad stick) so I guess does anyone know if this could possibly be a vid card issue or is it probably ram b/c of the beep codes.

Since I have 4 sticks of ram, 2 have "chips" on the back side of the stick and two don't, what does this indicate? Aside from paying attention to when I take them out, is there an absolute place for each stick, I.e sticks with chips on the back go in the blue and w/o go in the black, or does this matter?

Thanks in advance for trying to decipher this and help

Solution
If that is the original memory that came with the Gateway SX2801-01e then it is the correct memory.

When you remove the Radeon HD 6450 discrete graphics card, and use the Intel GMA X4500 integrated graphics chip, is the memory correctly detected?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS so that any hardware changes are detected (i.e. devices are re-enumerated and hardware resources reallocated)?

OuttaOC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Update: swapped ram around again, tried to start with a solo stick (each type) same error beeps.

Model of Pc: gateway sx2801-01e w/ intel e5500
Model of RAM: 2x Kingston 2gb 2Rx8 PC3, 2x 1gb 1Rx8 PC3 (sorry only 6gb thought it was 8 for some reason)

If that is the original memory that came with the Gateway SX2801-01e then it is the correct memory.

When you remove the Radeon HD 6450 discrete graphics card, and use the Intel GMA X4500 integrated graphics chip, is the memory correctly detected?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS so that any hardware changes are detected (i.e. devices are re-enumerated and hardware resources reallocated)?

Solution

OuttaOC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Naturally the iPad doesn't want to submit my posts, but THANKS TO YOU KO888 im back on my pc.

took out the ATI card, found my vga cable, put all 4 sticks of RAM back in the PC and it started fine.

So can you possibly link me to a resource about clearing my CMOS, if thats the next step, what is the next step, have we identified the problem(ATI Card)

That's what I figured since it worked before you added the Radeon HD 6450.

I don't know if there is a jumper (i.e. CLR_CMOS) or contacts that be short circuited on that motherboard to clear the CMOS. You can try disconnecting the AC power cord from the PC and removing the coin cell battery that allows the CMOS to retain its settings. Let it sit for about 10 or 20 minutes without the battery before putting the battery back in and reattaching the AC power cord. Hopefully that is long enough for the CMOS to clear.

On first boot you will have to go into the BIOS setup and you may have to play with settings. Look for settings regarding the integrated graphics and whether there is a setting that allows you to disable it when using a discrete graphics card.

OuttaOC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
So i'll have to try the battery suggestion b/c i cant seem to be able to get into the BIOS from startup, del and f12 are the only keys listed and i didnt see an option for BIOS from those keys, i ended up running the memory diagnostic tool on accident and everything check out lol

Info that may not have been clear earlier on, the ATI Card has been installed and working "properly" for about 8 months

- Would that indicate something burned out or shorted on the ATI card last night while i was sleeping
- Or did it just decide it didnt like having two sets of graphics memory to account for all of the sudden.

either way, I'll unplug the bat, im gonna restart one more time and try the "sticky key"(or whatever method) of button mashing at startup to get me into setup... lol

It would seem to point to a graphics card failure.

If you can borrow a graphics card from someone you should be able to troubleshoot if that is the cause.

OuttaOC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Figured i may have clicked on that a bit early, couple more questions if you dont mind

I havent done the CMOS suggestion(im a bit scared, but you've been right so far)

I got into BIOS, however i can not disable the integrated graphics, its greyed out, so i reinserted the ATI card, selected PCIe for my graphics port but i got the same 3 beeps.

Why is the option to turn off the integrated graphics off? b/c there is nothing else in the PC to use?

guess i'll pull that battery now :/

You won't be able to disable the integrated graphics because you are using it. This is most likely because it's not properly detecting the discrete graphics card.

The option to disable integrated graphics is different for different motherboards and motherboard chipsets. For most motherboards the integrated graphics is automatically disabled when a discrete graphics card is plugged into the PCIe x16 slot.

There are some AMD platform motherboards that support hybrid CrossFire and will allow the integrated graphics and discrete graphics card to be used at the same time but this doesn't apply to your situation.

If you need better graphics performance than the integrated graphics processor can provide then you're going to have to get a new discrete graphics card. If your graphics card is still under warranty then have it RMA'd.

OuttaOC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
It must be the video card, i flashed the CMOS by removing the battery, inserted the graphics card and restarted to the three beeps.

w/o ATI card PC runs fine. :/ with ATI Card 3 beeps at startup