Replace MOBO in Dell

G

Hi. I recently bent some pins in the CPU socket in the factory MOBO and now I have to replace it. I have a DELL XPS 8300 desktop (post recall). It has an i7-2600K processor, 8GBs of RAM, HD 5770 graphics and I upgraded the PSU to 775W. My questions regard after MOBO installation. I have never done this before so please be easy and as helpful as you can. Thanks! Once I install the new MOBO what else is next? Do I have to reinstall Windows? What about the BIOS and do I have to flash a new or different one from the one that was on the factory mobo? Also, do coin-cell batteries ship with new MOBOs or do I have to remove the one from the old MOBO and put it into the new MOBO?

I also know that the factory mobo was a micro atx board. LGA 1155 and Chipset H67. Will I have a problem fitting in the new mobo? I rather not have to get a new case and keep costs down.

Thanks everyone!

Andrew

Solution
Now I see what you meant in your last post. I will try to find a mobo with the SAME pin layout for the power button module as the factory mobo.

I don't have the experience nor the confidence to re-wire the connector so for now that isn't an option. I will report my findings on the new mobo back here. Wish me good luck.
The front panel connector pinout has not been universally standardized so each motherboard manufacturer may use a different pinout.

When you buy a new computer case the front panel connector is not composed of just one connector. Each LED and switch is on their own separate 2-wire connector which allows it to be connected to any motherboard front panel header no matter what its pinout is.
If you have a multiplier unlocked i7-2600K and not the locked i7-2600 processor why are you getting an H67 chipset motherboard? At least look for a Z77 chipset micro ATX motherboard.

The new micro ATX form factor motherboard should fit into the Dell XPS 8300's case with no problems. You will have to pop out and replace the existing rear panel I/O Shield, and pop in the new rear panel I/O Shield included in the motherboard package before installing the new motherboard.

G

Thanks for helping out ko! I don't believe my CPU is unlocked. I haven't chosen the mobo yet, but a standard m atx mobo should fit right? Does dell use custom mobos? I am thinking about these mobos and any advice would be awesome:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188096
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131711
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138296
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157279

I need 4 ram slots and two pci slots in case I want to crossfire two HD 7770 in the future. USB 3 would also be nice. Do mobos ship with coin-cell batteries and what about the bios? Is a clean windows install recommended or should I be fine?

Thanks again for those that help!

You specified that you have an i7-2600K. The K designation indicates that it is a multiplier unlocked CPU and you can overclock it.

If you have an i7-2600, note the absence of the K suffix, then it is multiplier locked and you can't overclock it.

If you definitely have the i7-2600K then get the EVGA Z68 SLI Micro 120-SB-E682-KR.

If you have the i7-2600 then still get the EVGA Z68 SLI Micro 120-SB-E682-KR.

The ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3, that you linked to, is a full size ATX motherboard and won't fit in the Dell XPS 8300's case.

All new motherboards ship with the coin cell battery installed and the BIOS is set to use Default settings.

A clean Windows install is recommended, especially when the chipset has changed, to get rid of any extraneous device drivers that may end up causing you difficult to diagnose OS problems.

G

I definitely have the 2600K. But, I have changed my mind and I want to get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-130-648&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=&VideoOnlyMark=&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=#scrollFullInfo

This is mainly due to that fact that this MOBO's connections are positioned similarly to the factory mobo's connections. BUT, I am having trouble finding the connection to the "power button module" on this mobo. I have attached photos so that I am better understood.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please help! This is the only thing holding me back and I apologize if this is a newbish question. Thanks a ton!

If better or more pictures are needed please let me know. I took these kinda quickly and the lighting was affecting the focus. Also, if you guys/girls need more info or explanation just say it and I will try to explain it better.

Compare the Pinout of the Front Panel Connector on both motherboards:

Dell XPS 8300 Motherboard

F_PANEL Connector
1 PWR
2 AMBER_LED
3 SATA_LED
4 WHITE_LED
5 GND
6 PWR_BTN
7 RST
8 ID0
9 ID1
10 No Pin
11 MT/ST_ID
12 GND

MSI H77MA-G43

JFP1 Connector
1 HDD LED +
2 Power LED +
3 HDD LED -
4 Power LED -
5 Reset Switch -
6 Power Switch +
7 Reset Switch +
8 Power Switch -
9 Reserved
10 No Pin

MSI_H77_MA_G43_Front_Panel_Connectors.jpg

Position of the connectors is meaningless if the pinout of the connectors is not the same.

G

So this mobo isn't going to work? That's kind of what I figured. I have looked at least 10 or 15 different mobos on Newegg and I can't find one that shares the same power button module as the factory mobo. Do you think this is some type of proprietary connector? If so, what can I do? Thanks again ko!

The way the Dell XPS 8300 case's Front Panel Connector harness is wired is somewhat proprietary.

If I were doing this motherboard replacement I would rewire the Dell Front Panel Connector to match what the new motherboard uses.

If you don't have the experience doing this kind of thing then don't even attempt it because you can cause a short circuit that can burn out the copper traces on the motherboard.

G

Now I see what you meant in your last post. I will try to find a mobo with the SAME pin layout for the power button module as the factory mobo.

I don't have the experience nor the confidence to re-wire the connector so for now that isn't an option. I will report my findings on the new mobo back here. Wish me good luck.

The front panel connector pinout has not been universally standardized so each motherboard manufacturer may use a different pinout.

When you buy a new computer case the front panel connector is not composed of just one connector. Each LED and switch is on their own separate 2-wire connector which allows it to be connected to any motherboard front panel header no matter what its pinout is.

Solution