Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Native Sata III

Last response: in Motherboards
September 1, 2012 12:39:08 AM

I have a Asus P7P55D-E LX mother board currently. The 6b/s Sata ports apperently are not "native" and are causing poor performance. I'm shopping now for a new motherboard, how do I know if the sata ports are native on a potential motherboard?

Thank you

More about : native sata iii

a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2012 1:04:39 AM

MarvellĀ® PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
Try connecting to the gray connecter
Did you have driver installed for the Marvell SATA controller?
Are you using HDD or SSD?
Score
September 1, 2012 1:25:14 AM

When I experienced the issue I was using a SSD. THe issue subsided when I connected the drive to one of the 3Gb/s ports. I've installed the driver for the ports, it's just going forward I wasn't sure if I'm to look for something specific to know they will work properly, since these didn't. Someone has mentioned they weren't "native", so it made me curious as to what "native" is.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 220 V Motherboard
September 1, 2012 2:02:53 AM

The Intel P55 Ibex Peak chipset never had native SATA3 6Gb/s ports only a maximum of six SATA2 3 Gb/s ports.

To add SATA3 6Gb/s ports to the motherboard ASUS had to resort to using an add-on SATA controller chip so they chose to do so with the Marvell PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller chip.

Always look into the motherboard's chipset if you want to find out what is natively supported. This also applies to native PCI Express revision and USB version.
September 1, 2012 2:10:14 PM

Best answer selected by izak.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
September 2, 2012 7:52:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!