vaporfox99

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hey guys, I just bought a terrible set of speakers (Altec Lansing). Their a 2.1-channel set, but they were $15 on Black Friday, so not a major loss. I brought them home, hooked them all up and tried them through a couple different things. Well, in the middle of a movie, 6 movies into the satisfied consumers delight, my sub started constantly popping. So, I turned off the speakers and waited around 10 seconds and turned them back on to no avail. Well, then I turned them off and moved the power brick over to the surge protector, still there. Well, I turned off my computer and checked the speakers again, the popping was still there with both the desktop and the monitor off. I've reached the end of my trial and error system, is the sub just bad or is there something else I can try that may work? Thanks.

vaporfox99

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Update: I can get it to stop now as long as no sounds are playing, but as soon as I start a movie or mp3 the popping kicks. However, I believe I have diagnosed the problem, but I am now unsure as to how to fix it. I lifted the sub us and put it against my ear and realized the speakers are trying to run high end audio through a low end speaker. Thus, creating the popping since the speaker can't produce the highs properly. I played with VLC a little and the equalizer on it can not adjust it properly. How can I get the high end to shift to just the two desk speakers and the low to filter through the sub. Also, the subwoofer has cheap wire running from it, and no low pass filter switch anywhere on the setup at all. Please Help!