Need help picking out a Wireless Router

skitsofrenic

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Hello there ladies and gentlemen. I'm planning on getting a new Wireless Router for my home, and came here to ask the community for their opinion on the best router before making my final decision. I'm really ignorant when it comes to networking so I really hope you guys can spare me a few minutes of your time to help me pick out the best router for my home.

As you guys can see from the list of Router selections, my budget is around $50~$80. I use Comcast Cable Internet, which has the speed of 12mb. My brother and I are gamers, so most of the times we are on our Computers, we are playing games. However, other members of my family browses the web and streams/downloads videos often.

I don't really know what kind of information I'm suppose to be providing you guys so I wrote whatever came to my mind. If you need more information, feel free to ask me. I'll check back from time to time to read comments and answer questions.

Thanks in advance!

My 3 options picked from the Top-Rated products in Newegg:
(If you have other good routers for recommendations, feel free to let me know!)

Linksys E2000 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz Selectable Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router up to 300Mbps - $69.99

NETGEAR WNR3500L-100NAS 802.11b/g/n RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit router up to 300Mbps/ DD-WRT Open Source support/ USB x1 - $79.99

BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH 802.11b/g/n Nfiniti Wireless High Power Gigabit Router up to 300Mbps/ Open Source DD-WRT Support - $69.99

skitsofrenic

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Linksys E2000 looks solid but I want to take a look at a couple more routers before making up my decision, as I would be using the router for a good couple years.

I came across these selections today and even though some of them exceeds my budget, I'm willing to go for it if it is worth the price. I still need you guys' help so don't bail on me yet!

ASUS RT-N16 802.11b/g/n Gigabit Wireless Router up to 300Mbps DD-WRT Open Source support with USB Storage, Printer And Media Server - $94.99

D-Link DIR-655 802.11b/g/n Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Broadband Router up to 300Mbps/ USB port x1/ Intelligent QoS Technology for Gaming - $70.54

the ASUS works well once you updated it with the DD-WRT firmware

I don't like the wireless setup for Netgear routers even though they are solid

D-Link are good too.However not many of them allow the update to DD-WRT firmaware which would allow them to be used as a bridge/repeater at a later time.

a little above you price range would be the Linksys E3000