CrossfireX: Reference or Aftermarket?

CasualNinja

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Forum,

i am considering putting CrossfireX 6950's in my build (no flashing to a 6970 if anyone asks), and my question is; would it be better to get 2 referance cards that expel the hot air out the back of the case, but have worse cooling. Or do i go with 2 aftermarket cooled GPU's such as the MSI TWIN FROZR III that will be putting a huge amount of heat into the case.

Thanks

Solution
I think it's better to go with reference model cards in crossfire , I have a 2x5770 Sapphire Vaporx with custom cooling and they are blowing hot air on eachother making them really hot.I couldn't even put them next to eachother in the PCIx16 slots because I got almost 95 degrees in load , and I sacrificed speed for beter cooling (one is in a PCIx4 slot on the bottom and one is in PCIx16 slot on top).I would suggest avoiding crossfire and getting the best card you can with aftermarket cooling.

G3ox

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I think it's better to go with reference model cards in crossfire , I have a 2x5770 Sapphire Vaporx with custom cooling and they are blowing hot air on eachother making them really hot.I couldn't even put them next to eachother in the PCIx16 slots because I got almost 95 degrees in load , and I sacrificed speed for beter cooling (one is in a PCIx4 slot on the bottom and one is in PCIx16 slot on top).I would suggest avoiding crossfire and getting the best card you can with aftermarket cooling.

Solution