Sign in with
Your question

Core i5 temp reaching 67c...is it safe?

Last response: in CPUs
November 27, 2011 5:14:24 AM

I have a core i5 750 and my cpu temp at idle is between 38c and 42c depending on room temp. When I am browsing it will normally be at 42c to 45c. I downloaded a demo of Call of Duty to test the system temps with ASUS PcProbeII. About 25 minutes of playing the game and the cpu temp was 67c. Mother board temp is between 27c and 31c all the time. My pc specs are as follows:

Monitor - LG 20" LED monitor E2050
Hard Drive - WD 500gb Caviar Black 7200 rpm
Case - Cooler Master Gladiator 600
Processor - Core i5 750 (with stock cooling fan)
DVD Burner - Lite-on 24x
Video Card - Geforce GT240 512 DDR5
Motherboard - Asus p7p55d-e lx with most recent BIOS
4 Coolmax 140mm led fans 2000rpm and 1 120mm led fan

What is a safe temp for a core i5 750 with those specs? This is my first build.

a c 93 à CPUs
November 27, 2011 6:00:08 AM

That is about normal for a gaming load on the stock cooler with a Lynnfield CPU, they tend to run a bit hot, and the intel stock cooler isn't very good. It's not a very good temperature, but it is acceptable, just don't try running CPU stress tests on the stock cooler, it's not really suited for that kind of load.

You can try setting your CPU fan setting to performance mode in the BIOS if you want to shave a few degrees off. If you have a fan port on the side of the case situated above the CPU cooler you can put an intake fan there, that might help your temps a bit. Aside from that, your other option is to get an aftermarket cooler. You won't damage the CPU at that temp, but you may shorten its life, though if you are doing a full system upgrade every 4 years or so that really isn't an issue.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 6:05:12 AM

The temperatures are within normal temperature range. Stock coolers aren't the best but they will do their jobs as long as you don't go big on overclocking and stress testing but at stock speeds they will do fine.

Safe normal operating temps are anywhere within 50-70c with anywhere in the 80s a concern and 90s being the range that something is definitely wrong.
m
l
!