Computer freezes up while playing videogames

xenergy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I was sure which forum to put this under, so since i built it i am posting this here.

My problem is that my computer will randomly freeze up and make a wierd buzzing noise while i am playing video games ( mostly from steam){the GPU intensive 3d game ect.} This only happened during the game of play. The graphics card isn"t heating up nor is the CPU. This problem is very irritating seeing that i have to restart the computer. I can"t do Ctrl-Alt-del or anything else. Plz help.

Specs
mobo- ASUS P8P67 pro
CPU- i5 2500k sandybridge 3.3ghz
Graphics- gtx 480 (Nvidia)
Memory- 8 gb of Gskill (2x4gb)
HD- 1T SATA 6.0
OS- windows 7 home premium
Power- Sunbeam 750w

Note- I am conecting to an HD 1080p 24" TV via HDMI cable and the GTX 480 runs around65-73c a little hotter for the CPU

If there is any more info needed just ask.

Solution

A faulty PSU will fail when put under load (like when the CPU and GPU are maxing out during gaming). A quality PSU like those by Seasonic are worth their weight in gold, so to speak.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
These are the symptoms of a heat or a power issue. Try this first...set your CPU, GPU, and memory (as appropriate) back to their stock speeds and see if that helps stabilize the system while gaming. If so, tweak the CPU and GPU very slowly to increase performance. I suggest leaving your memory at stock speeds. OCing memory yields very little comparatively in terms of performance gains.

If OCing isn't the issue, I would suspect that your PSU may be having trouble. Please clarify on your OC settings.

xenergy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I have left everything at stock speeds. I have not OC anything. I do have an application that specifically allows me to OC and monitor my graphics card and another one specific to everything else.(these applications are why I know its not an over heating issue) and as i have said i have left everything at default.

You said the PSU might be the issue? Is it because it doesn't provide enough power? can you clarify.
Note- haven't experimented with OC my system.

Run OCCT CPU and GFX tests, monitor temps and voltages thru the test. 5% voltage variation is the ATX spec but I aim for < 1% ..... more than 2% could be an issue if OC'ing.

Temps above 82C on the GFX card and 75ish on the CPU would be a concern, tho your CPU shouldn't be crapping out till over 90.

xenergy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

What are OCCt Tests? I am still learning about computers

COLGeek

Cybernaut

A faulty PSU will fail when put under load (like when the CPU and GPU are maxing out during gaming). A quality PSU like those by Seasonic are worth their weight in gold, so to speak.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS