SLI vs. Upgraded Video card

Hello forum,

So I have been building a new computer and i am stuck at a video card.

Which is better, SLI'ing or Upgrading the video card? (This includes going from 1gb to 2gb of ram on the card)

The cards i have been looking at are:

Two of the EVGA SuperClocked Nvidia GTX 560 TI to SLI together.

or

One EVGA SuperClocked Nvidia GTX 570 HD

There are so many options tho that this has been the hardest decision of the computer. I'm looking to stay within a $400 - $500 price range total and I really like EVGA cards. Feel free to throw out other card models and why they are better (for either scenario)

Thank you for the help in advance!

Here is the rest of my computer that I've ordered to possibly help with the decision:

Case: RAIDMAX AEOLUS
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 16gb (4x4gb)
Boot Hard drive (for OS and other programs i want loading faster): Crucial M4 SSD 64gb SATA III
General Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 6.0gb/s 500gb
MotherBoard: ASUS P8Z68-V Intel
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
Processor Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio
Video Card(s): TBD
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Modular
Display: Dual (2) - 23" Samsung 1080p Monitors
3 answers Last reply
More about upgraded video card
  1. You get more performance out of the two GTX560ti cards than the single GTX570. I personally would go with the single card option with the possibility to upgrade later to SLI.
  2. You ask an interesting question which I am happy to answer, and I see that you have gone with a large psu which is good because it allows for great overclocking potential. I believe that you are going for overkill with the 16Gb ram, even with 2 screens, as the minimum requirement of ram for any game can't be more than 3gb, and here's why: A lot of pc owners only have 32 bit Windows which only supports 3Gb of ram, and any game developer will halve the potential market by developing a game which requires more ram. The processor you have listed is great, and you're obviously planning to overclock because it's a "k" version, and the motherboard is of the Z series which overclocks fantastically.I would however buy the max amount of fans your chassis can support as overclocking can get Hot. As for your Gpu, I would recommend a Radeon 6870 crossfire. This is a great option if you wish to enjoy long hours of high-graphic gaming.These Radeons can outperform a Gtx 580 and falls in the price rage of your listed Gpu's, and looking at you system I assume that a Budget isn't a problem. I hope that my advice has helped, if not, then I hope that somebody's will.
    Try these following links:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125373&cm_re=radeon_6870-_-14-125-373-_-Product
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1062/pg5/nvidia-gtx-580-oc-vs-radeon-6870-oc-crossfire-vs-radeon-5970-bad-company-2.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4008/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580/13
  3. TY both for your quick responses.

The 16gb of ram is due to the fact that i will be running Windows 7 Ultimate and do a lot of Web design and graphic/movie editing on the side.

As far as overclocking is concerned I am planning on overclocking everything that can be, within a reasonable degree.

I did not include the fans for the chasis in my description, but i have purchased 3 additional Rosewill RFX-120BL 120mm 2 Ball Bearing Blue LED Case Fans to fill every fan slot on the computer making a total of 7 fans. (not including the 2 on the Thermaltake heatsink).

You are very correct, i am not building off a budget. While I am doing my best to get the best price for what I am paying and would like to stay within a certain price range, I am more then happy to go outside of that range if the graphics performance is worth the money.

I will take a look at the Radeon 6870. Honestly ive never went with anything but Nvidia before, but on that note, ive never built a computer this massive :) haha

Thanks again. If anyone has anything else they would like to add that would be awesome!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Computer Graphics Product