Graphics Upgrade

1static

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I currently have an BFG GTX 260 896 Mb Graphics Card. I'm thinking of upgrading it to and EVGA 570. The main reason for the upgrade is so that I can take advantage of the HD port on my 27" LG 120 Hz Monitor. I do a lot of gaming but I only need a single card. Any thoughts?

Bobby the second

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
A graphics upgrade like that would do you wonders, you should just check to see if you can support it's wattage which is larger since the card consumes 219 watts under full load. The card will play almost all games at more than decent graphics.I hope that my reply helped you and that you will enjoy your new card when you get it-Cheers!

1static

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks for the info. I have a 720 watt dual 12volt rail power supply and I'm pretty sure my board can handle it. I'm running Xp Pro so I doubt I'll be able to take advantage of DX11. I would switch over to windows 7 but I really don't want to take the chance of losing some of the data I have stored. Do you know of any way around changing my O.S. Without having to re-install all of my saved data? Personally I've also thought about upgrading my processor also. My specs are available on my Member Config. Let me know if you have any ideas that could help finishing a high-end game rig.

Timop

Distinguished
You need a new CPU, I doubt you'll see any improvements in CPU-bound games with a 570 as that 2.1Ghz quad is dismally slow. You should be able to drop in a 955 in there IIRC.

What brand id your PSU? Enermax?

IMO, finding another 260 to SLI would be the better idea.

1static

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

I've tried running SLI before but I ended up having more complications than what I expected. I've got a couple of choices of processors to upgrade to before getting a new graphics card. One is a 3 Ghz quadcore and the other is a 3.2 Ghz quadcore. Which ever one I end up with I know that it will be a big improvement over what I have now. Then I'll go ahead and upgrade the Graphics card. I'm not really sure as to whether or not I can drop an AM3 processor into an AM2+ Motherboard or not. I really don't want to take the chance of ruining the slot. If I can put an AM3 into an AM2+ board I have a few more choices of processors. Thanks for the info.