Can I have Windows 7 and Xp on the same computer?

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I plan to install Windows 7 on my computer, but I am a bit worried that some of my old games won't work anymore. Is it possible to have both Windows 7 and XP on the same computer? I would use the XP portion for incompatible games and old programs.

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
just make sure XP is installed before you install W7
the bootmanager of W7 can handle XP, not the other way around.

if you have installed XP after W7, just put in your W7-DVD and repair it, it will fix the boot

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008

Dont u mean Partitions, as u should be able to have xp and 7 on the same physical drive just make sure u partition it

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009

looks like the editing didnt work, i also wanted to add to my original message that each windows-installation has to be on a different HD or partition

pros for 2 HD: if one HD crashes, you can still start up the other one
cons: you need 2 drives: more costly and less room in the case left for other HD's

pros for 2 partitions: 1 HD needed, you can use a small drive just for programs, other drives for data
cons: if the HD crashes, you lose both installations (if the windows-installation got bugged, you can still use the other one)

personally i use 2 partitions on one HD for the installations and other HD's for all my data(including my docs, desktop, mails)

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Yep, you certainly can do it - I've dual booted in many configurations.

If you are looking to still use XP for some things, why not try using virtualization software?

It's up to you, but I've never had an issue with my dual-boot, but find it way more convenient to have things in a VM, so I don't have to reboot.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Your processor only needs to support VT if you want to virtualize x64 VMs or if you want to put something like ESX on as the base install - something bare-metal.

I've used VMServer and VMplayer on a Q8200 with no problems. I've not tried with Virtual PC, but VMplayer and server are free - never tried VirtualBox, but have heard good things as well.