Line-in jacks in MONO?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2005 3:28:51 AM

I was really decided on buying a particular HP laptop when by chance I
glanced at its service manual online. The mic-in (audio-in) jack is MONO
(monaural); not stereo! I checked a couple of other HP laptops' manuals too,
and some others (including their high-end 17" P4 model) also have a monaural
audio-in jack. I couldn't believe it.

I looked at Sony's site and saw mono line-in jacks there too! That's when it
hit me: this must be some kind of copy-protection-thwarting attempt. That's
always an easy workaround to whatever DRM the companies come up with
(they're talking about copy-protecting plain old audio CDs now)....just play
the CD on an external device and record its (analog) audio directly into the
computer.

Having a mono input jack may discourage some people, as they probably won't
be able to tell why their "recording" of their CD doesn't sound right (maybe
it's only recording the Left channel??). Of course, this would only drive
people (myself included) to buy a decent sound interface (probably PCMCIA)
to record into.

Anyone know why some companies are penny-pinching to the extreme with these
mono audio-in jacks? I can't imagine it saves more than a few cents.

Better yet, anyone have one of these laptops whose specs say the jack is
MONO but actually can record analog audio in stereo? Just wondering.

Fr@nk

More about : line jacks mono

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2005 3:35:15 PM

"Fr@nk" <Fr@nkATwizardDOT.net> wrote in message
> I was really decided on buying a particular HP laptop when by chance I
> glanced at its service manual online. The mic-in (audio-in) jack is MONO
> (monaural); not stereo! I checked a couple of other HP laptops' manuals
too,
> and some others (including their high-end 17" P4 model) also have a
monaural
> audio-in jack. I couldn't believe it.
>
> I looked at Sony's site and saw mono line-in jacks there too! That's when
it
> hit me: this must be some kind of copy-protection-thwarting attempt.
That's
> always an easy workaround to whatever DRM the companies come up with
> (they're talking about copy-protecting plain old audio CDs now)....just
play
> the CD on an external device and record its (analog) audio directly into
the
> computer.
>
> Having a mono input jack may discourage some people, as they probably
won't
> be able to tell why their "recording" of their CD doesn't sound right
(maybe
> it's only recording the Left channel??). Of course, this would only drive
> people (myself included) to buy a decent sound interface (probably PCMCIA)
> to record into.
>
> Anyone know why some companies are penny-pinching to the extreme with
these
> mono audio-in jacks? I can't imagine it saves more than a few cents.
>
> Better yet, anyone have one of these laptops whose specs say the jack is
> MONO but actually can record analog audio in stereo? Just wondering.

Mic-In Jacks on computers are normally mony. Line-In are usually stereo,
but where they double up as is common on lap tops, mono is the rule. It's
not a copy protection thing, just penny pinching.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 23, 2005 7:32:42 PM

It's not copy protection, it's cost-cutting. The Mic in jack is mic in,
it's not intended to be "line-in", which most laptops do not have. The
solution is an add-on sound card. Both USB and PC Card sound cards are
available that have a full range of I/O's, and also much better sound
quality (the inside of a laptop is electrically noisy and is a bad place
to do A-to-D conversion of low-level audio signals).

!