AMD 970 Phenom II x4 factory settings question

blankslatenator

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi, I have an M4A78t-e motherboard that did not boot initially with auto settings. I had to go in a set the CPU settings manually. However, I have only been able to stabilize the system up to 2.8 Ghz. I looked this up further to find that the while the 970 is advertised at 3.5 Ghz, its actually only at 2.8 Ghz. AMD said something about having to use turbo to achieve the advertised speed of 3.5 Ghz.The technology that they described was horribly confusing. I was wondering if anyone better understood how to manually set the 970 to 3.5 Ghz. I did achieve getting the CPU to max out to about 3.2 Ghz but that was with a 1.6 Vcore voltage, which is .2 higher than the 1.4V factory settings (which should be at 3.5 Ghz).

blankslatenator

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Nah the motherboard came with 3406 standard.

G

Stock is 1.365, dont go over 1.5v you will kill it! (unless you have a custom water cooling solution)

It does not have turbo, it should be running by default at 3.5ghz (without cool and quiet enabled)

Reset your bios to defaults, see what it gives in cpu-z with prime95 running

G

Did you have ahci on when it was installed? Try setting it on (or off if it was) and see how it goes.

Also set the voltage to 1.365 manually and see.