Severely Reduced FPS (HD 6870)

kolizhunkorse04

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I bought a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 a few days ago and am trying to work out the kinks with it.

So far, I love the performance boost over my old Nvidia 9800GT however I'm having some (seemingly) odd issues with the card.

I bought the card specifically to play Rift and eventually SW:TOR when it releases (impatient :bounce: ), and can run Rift with max settings (minus shadows) at 50-60 frames, no problem.

However, I'm one of those people who likes running stuff in the background, and it had never affected me before with my Nvidia as far as FPS performance went.

For example. I've been trying to run Vuze in the background, meanwhile downloading torrents, so I expect a latency hike in the game and can deal with it, but with this new video card, I am falling to 20-30 frames per second on Rift with Vuze and the internet open. Both Vuze and the internet (youtube more specifically) have never been demanding programs to run in the background, so it's coming off a bit strange.

Is there something I need to tweak to fix this? Because if this is the case, I may have to send the card back.

Solution

Make sure you have hardware acceleration disabled on youtube (right click on the youtube video and disable it), I had this problem for a while and the reason was that while I had youtube playing my card was stuck at very low speeds for memory and gpu, try that and tell me if it works.

kolizhunkorse04

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Actually I wanna clarify now. It's just specifically Youtube of the two programs I listed that is slowing me down. I did a clean reformat when I got the card, so I don't have much more to test alongside the game.

Any suggestions to keep my FPS steady in Rift while youtube plays in the background? I only use youtube for music lately, and it just sits in the background with audio playing.

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

Make sure you have hardware acceleration disabled on youtube (right click on the youtube video and disable it), I had this problem for a while and the reason was that while I had youtube playing my card was stuck at very low speeds for memory and gpu, try that and tell me if it works.

Solution