Sign in with
Your question

Which needs more cpu the media server or the htpc

Last response: in CPUs
November 27, 2011 2:20:36 PM

Hello,
Newbie here as far as htpc's go. I plan on building a media server as well as an htpc. I already own a few pc's: Dell with intel Q6600 quad core, 1 Athlon 64 3 .0 Ghz and a Athlon Xp2.5. I plan to use the server to stream my 10 TB of video that I have on hard disks. I might run either Free Nas or unraid. I would like to use existing hardware as much as possible. Now so far. I have been streaming to the ps3 using ps3 medis server with mixed results. I can't stream dts master audio etc. I have many MKV and blue ray disk on my hard drives so, here are the questions;
Should I use the quad core as a server? It is powerfull enough to transcode if needed.
Would my netbook be strng enough to work as an htpc(Atom N475) or should I use one of the others?
I guess the answer I am looking for is, which needs more cpu power, the server or the htpc?
Thanks
Don

More about : cpu media server htpc

a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 2:39:12 PM

HTPC just requires a recent graphics card.
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
November 27, 2011 6:01:01 PM

The server will need the Q6600 because decoding Blu-Ray video will need at least a dual core CPU. MKV files also requires a bit of processing power too since they typically use the x.264 codec.
m
l
Related resources
a c 126 à CPUs
November 27, 2011 6:04:42 PM

jaguarskx said:
The server will need the Q6600 because decoding Blu-Ray video will need at least a dual core CPU. MKV files also requires a bit of processing power too since they typically use the x.264 codec.

Pretty much this. A HTPC only needs a decent GPU for decoding while a server needs a decent CPU to handle the heavy tasks as well as streaming.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2011 6:47:49 PM

Why do you need the server to decode? My setup is a HTPC connected to a TV with a QNAP NAS box sitting on the LAN. The QNAP just provides the data, while the HTPC does all the decoding. I also use it for blu rays and MKVs. I guess one reason to set up the server to do the decoding is if your network can't support the bitrate for bluray.

m
l
November 27, 2011 8:24:37 PM

Quote:
I guess one reason to set up the server to do the decoding is if your network can't support the bitrate for bluray.

Right now, I am streaming on a wired 100Mb lan. I want an htpc instead of the ps3 so I can stream the music wth the vizualisations that I want for one thing, and be able to decode the dts master audio which, the ps3 can not do. My receiver can decode all of the recent audio signals and has hdmi. I was just wondering if it was better to use what I already have or upgrade and build a powerfull htpc but still build the media server with what I have. BTW, I work for a company that builds cases of all sorts for the industrial market. I will have one built custom so I can cram harddrives around 5 feet high and that is why, a Nas box is not an option for me.
Don
m
l
December 7, 2011 7:19:15 PM

Sorry if I did not give any feedback but I am reviewing my options. From what I can figure out, I either keep my AMD x64 box as a server and use my Q6600 to do the decoding or use the Q6600 as a server and by a new MB, case, cpu and vid. card with hdmi and use that as the htpc. I already have a decent vid card in the Q6600. All I would need to follow the cheapest route is to buy a bluetooth dongle since I already have a BT remote because the Q is on the otherside of my home theater wall. My AMD box would only stream the files to the Q which would then do the decoding. Would this work?
m
l
!