Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

16G RAM filling up completely

Last response: in Memory
Share
September 1, 2012 10:26:58 AM

Recently I have encountered a problem while using my browser (waterfox).
After approximately 15min of browsing my RAM is completely full and slows down the pc a lot. When I close the browser, the RAM clears itself and the PC runs at a normal speed again.
I have checked everything I could think of, everything is up to date, the pc is virus-free, the task-manager only indicates that the browser uses up all memory. I've switched from Waterfox to different browsers, switched to 32bit java, but the problem remains.
The curious thing is, that I haven't installed anything new prior to the problem occurring for the first time.

I am completely puzzled for this one. I would greatly appreciate it if anybody had a clue what might be causing this.
September 1, 2012 9:53:52 PM

So if you stick to using say, IE it still happens?

Sounds like there is some kind of memory leak. I use firefox, and leaving it running with out closing it for days it starts to eat ram. Your problem seems to be more acute. My best guess is that its some add on your installing on all the browers your using/testing.
a c 128 } Memory
September 1, 2012 9:59:51 PM

Hrodgard said:
Recently I have encountered a problem while using my browser (waterfox).
After approximately 15min of browsing my RAM is completely full and slows down the pc a lot. When I close the browser, the RAM clears itself and the PC runs at a normal speed again.
I have checked everything I could think of, everything is up to date, the pc is virus-free, the task-manager only indicates that the browser uses up all memory. I've switched from Waterfox to different browsers, switched to 32bit java, but the problem remains.
The curious thing is, that I haven't installed anything new prior to the problem occurring for the first time.

I am completely puzzled for this one. I would greatly appreciate it if anybody had a clue what might be causing this.


Firefox and its derivatives need at least 32GB of memory to function properly.

It sounds to me like one of the common plugins has a memory leak, possibly Flash. Google Chrome uses its own isolated environment for most plugins including Java and Flash so try Chrome and see what happens.
Related resources
September 1, 2012 10:17:19 PM

If you could post screenshot of Task Manager, with Processes tab showing
a c 128 } Memory
September 1, 2012 10:46:24 PM

k1114 said:
Typo? You mean 2 GB right?


No, I meant 32. It was a joke :p  Firefox is very memory hungry and waterfox is no better
a b } Memory
September 1, 2012 10:47:51 PM

Pinhedd said:
Firefox and its derivatives need at least 32GB of memory to function properly.


Typo? You mean 2 GB right? Actually I got a laptop with 512MB of ram and runs chrome or firefox on xp fine just browsing.
September 2, 2012 11:05:31 AM

Pinhedd said:
Firefox and its derivatives need at least 32GB of memory to function properly.

It sounds to me like one of the common plugins has a memory leak, possibly Flash. Google Chrome uses its own isolated environment for most plugins including Java and Flash so try Chrome and see what happens.


IE, FF and Opera had the same problem. I'm running Chrome now and it seems to be fixed. I'm gonna miss my waterfox :cry:  but I can live with it :) 
Thank you all for the responses and help :) 
a c 128 } Memory
September 2, 2012 2:42:50 PM

Hrodgard said:
IE, FF and Opera had the same problem. I'm running Chrome now and it seems to be fixed. I'm gonna miss my waterfox :cry:  but I can live with it :) 
Thank you all for the responses and help :) 


That just tells me that it was a common library shared between IE, FF and Opera. Possibly Flash or something like that. The fact that it affects both 32 and 64 bit versions is a bit interesting.
!