Windows Explorer Company Column Settings

I want to view Company Name in Windows Explorer. I
select DETAILS and I can see NAME, SIZE, TYPE, DATE
MODIFIED, COMPANY. The only field that does not display
text is COMPANY. However, I verified that the
information is entered onto the file type by right
clicking on the file and looking at the SUMMARY tab to
make sure Company Name is entered. It is. I can't seem
to get Company to display in Windows Explorer.

Please HELP!
6 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer company column settings

    | "Szafranski" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote in message news:296ff01c46531$0fa65b60$a401280a@phx.gbl
    | I want to view Company Name in Windows Explorer. I
    | select DETAILS and I can see NAME, SIZE, TYPE, DATE
    | MODIFIED, COMPANY. The only field that does not display
    | text is COMPANY. However, I verified that the
    | information is entered onto the file type by right
    | clicking on the file and looking at the SUMMARY tab to
    | make sure Company Name is entered. It is. I can't seem
    | to get Company to display in Windows Explorer.
    | Please HELP!

    The Windows Explorer column titled Company is not the same
    as the Company Property you see on, for example, a Microsoft
    Word Documents' File Properties Summary tab.

    For an example of an entry for the Windows Explorer column
    titled Company, click Start, click Run, type the following
    command and click OK:

    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\Macromed\flash

    Then set Windows Explorer to display Company. You will
    see the entry: Macromedia, Inc.

    To view the value entered into the Company Property you see
    on, for example, a Microsoft Word Documents' File Properties
    Summary tab you can use the Microsoft Outlook Integrated
    File Management Advanced Find component (finder.exe).
    Just add the Company field to the view, if necessary.

    If finder.exe is installed you can open it by either: running
    Outlook and on the menu bar clicking Tools, then Advanced
    Find. Or by running the executable named: finder.exe

    For some information about finder.exe, search Microsoft
    Outlook Help for the following phrases and read the
    topic(s) returned:

    - Set up or remove individual components
    - Add or remove fields in a view
    - Search items
    - Search files

    If your interested in learning a bit more about using finder.exe
    to do Boolean Text Searches; to Copy Search Results or
    a File List into a program such as Word or Excel, etc;
    and/or to Print a File List, do a Google Advanced Groups
    Search as follows:

    Google Advanced Groups Search
    http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

    Find messages with the exact phrase:
    Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find

    Return only messages where the author is:
    Carrie Garth

    Or click this link:
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_epq=%20Outlook%20Integrated%20File%20Management%20Advanced%20Find%&as_uauthors=Carrie%20Garth

    And if you have any questions about the Microsoft Outlook
    Integrated File Management Advanced Find component I
    suggest that you post in the following newsgroup:

    microsoft.public.outlook.general

    If you read the newsgroups using a Web Browser see:

    Microsoft Office Online
    Office Discussion Groups Home
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx

    If you read newsgroups using a NNTP newsreader, such
    as Outlook Express, and use the msnews.microsoft.com
    news server here is a link:

    Carrie,

    Thank you for informing me of the difference between the
    two properties. However, I still am not clear as to why
    I would need to use Outlook's Advanced Find to view the
    Company Field in Microsoft Word Document Properties.
    This is what I really want to view.

    I have Windows XP with Office 2003 and I opened Outlook
    and went into the Advanced Find. I click on Options in
    Outlook, then on Advanced Find and it relates only to
    Microsoft Outlook - not Microsoft Word.

    I apologize for the confusion....

    The Company column that you want to view (technically, the
    property name of the column docCompany), is not one of the
    predefined columns that Microsoft Windows Explorer can show.

    According to an expert, Dino Esposito, you can define a custom
    column, such as the docCompany column, by writing and
    registering a shell extension called a column handler. I am not a
    software developer, though, so I cannot help you with that. Sorry.
    For more information see:

    MSDN Magazine, March 2000
    Windows 2000 UI Innovations: Enhance Your User's Experience
    with New Infotip and Icon Overlay Shell Extensions
    By Dino Esposito
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0300/w2kui/default.aspx

    Another way to "view the Company Field in Microsoft Word
    Document Properties" is to use an application that can show the
    docCompany column. An application that can show this column is
    the Microsoft Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find
    component (finder.exe).

    Say, for example, that the file in question is a Microsoft Word
    Document (*.doc) and it is saved in your My Documents folder.
    To "view the Company Field in Microsoft Word Document
    Properties" with finder.exe you would:

    - Open Outlook
    - Select [menu bar] Tools | Advanced Find
    - For the "Look for:" option click the upside-down triangle and
    select: Files
    - For the "In:" option make certain that "My Documents" is selected
    - Click the "Find Now" button
    - Select [menu bar] View | Current View | Customize Current
    View
    - Click the button labled: Fields
    - For the "Select available fields from:" option click the upside-
    down triangle and select: All File Fields
    - From the "Available Fields" list select: Company
    - Click the "Add" button
    - Click OK, twice
    - Notice that finder.exe is display the value of the docCompany
    property in the column named Company

    Carrie,

    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! It worked!!! I had to
    use Outlook 2002 (a different employee's PC) My PC has
    Outlook 2003 and I could not view the standard "File" I
    could only see "File (Outlook/Exchange)" so when I
    performed a search using my version of Outlook I was only
    looking at Outlook documents - which came up with no
    hits.

    Using the other PC it worked wonderfully! I am so
    appreciative!!! Thanks so much!!

    Glad to read that it worked! And thanks for the update and the
    explanation. BTW, from the way you describe Outlook on your
    PC it sounds like the
    Microsoft Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find
    component is not installed on your PC.

    According to the following Microsoft Outlook Help Topics:

    TITLE: About finding items and files
    QUOTE: "Note If files do not appear in the Advanced Find
    dialog box, the Integrated File Management component probably
    wasn't installed during Setup."

    For information about how to install components, search Microsoft
    Outlook Help for the topic titled: "Set up or remove individual
    components"

    And if you have any questions about installing the Microsoft
    Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find component
    you will find the Microsoft Outlook installation experts in the
    following newsgroup:

    If you read the newsgroups via the Web visit the following Web
    Page to find the newsgroup: Outlook - Install and Configure

    Microsoft Office Newsgroups
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=prod_office

    If you read newsgroups using a NNTP newsreader, such as
    Outlook Express, and use the msnews.microsoft.com news server,
    here is a link to: microsoft.public.outlook.installation

    Again, Thank you so much for the clear explanation. You
    are correct that I don't have it installed. I truely
    appreciate your comments.

    sounds like the
    >Microsoft Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced
    Find
    >component is not installed on your PC.
    >
    >According to the following Microsoft Outlook Help Topics:
    >
    >TITLE: About finding items and files
    >QUOTE: "Note If files do not appear in the Advanced
    Find
    >dialog box, the Integrated File Management component
    probably
    >wasn't installed during Setup."
    >
    >For information about how to install components, search
    Microsoft
    >Outlook Help for the topic titled: "Set up or remove
    individual
    >components"
    >
    >And if you have any questions about installing the
    Microsoft
    >Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find
    component
    >you will find the Microsoft Outlook installation experts
    in the
    >following newsgroup:
    >
    >If you read the newsgroups via the Web visit the
    following Web
    >Page to find the newsgroup: Outlook - Install and
    Configure

    >Microsoft Office Newsgroups
    >http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?
    icp=prod_office

    >If you read newsgroups using a NNTP newsreader, such as
    >Outlook Express, and use the msnews.microsoft.com news
    server,
    >here is a link to: microsoft.public.outlook.installation
    allation

    >.

Configuration Windows Explorer Customization Microsoft Windows XP Displays