Windows Explorer Company Column Settings

I want to view Company Name in Windows Explorer. I
select DETAILS and I can see NAME, SIZE, TYPE, DATE
MODIFIED, COMPANY. The only field that does not display
text is COMPANY. However, I verified that the
information is entered onto the file type by right
clicking on the file and looking at the SUMMARY tab to
make sure Company Name is entered. It is. I can't seem
to get Company to display in Windows Explorer.

Please HELP!

| "Szafranski" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| wrote in message news:296ff01c46531$0fa65b60$a401280a@phx.gbl
| I want to view Company Name in Windows Explorer. I
| select DETAILS and I can see NAME, SIZE, TYPE, DATE
| MODIFIED, COMPANY. The only field that does not display
| text is COMPANY. However, I verified that the
| information is entered onto the file type by right
| clicking on the file and looking at the SUMMARY tab to
| make sure Company Name is entered. It is. I can't seem
| to get Company to display in Windows Explorer.
| Please HELP!

The Windows Explorer column titled Company is not the same
as the Company Property you see on, for example, a Microsoft
Word Documents' File Properties Summary tab.

For an example of an entry for the Windows Explorer column
titled Company, click Start, click Run, type the following
command and click OK:

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\Macromed\flash

Then set Windows Explorer to display Company. You will
see the entry: Macromedia, Inc.

To view the value entered into the Company Property you see
on, for example, a Microsoft Word Documents' File Properties
Summary tab you can use the Microsoft Outlook Integrated
File Management Advanced Find component (finder.exe).
Just add the Company field to the view, if necessary.

If finder.exe is installed you can open it by either: running
Outlook and on the menu bar clicking Tools, then Advanced
Find. Or by running the executable named: finder.exe

For some information about finder.exe, search Microsoft
Outlook Help for the following phrases and read the
topic(s) returned:

- Set up or remove individual components
- Add or remove fields in a view
- Search items
- Search files

If your interested in learning a bit more about using finder.exe
to do Boolean Text Searches; to Copy Search Results or
a File List into a program such as Word or Excel, etc;
and/or to Print a File List, do a Google Advanced Groups
Search as follows:

Google Advanced Groups Search
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

Find messages with the exact phrase:
Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find

Return only messages where the author is:
Carrie Garth

Or click this link:
http://www.google.com/groups?as_epq=%20Outlook%20Integrated%20File%20Management%20Advanced%20Find%&as_uauthors=Carrie%20Garth

And if you have any questions about the Microsoft Outlook
Integrated File Management Advanced Find component I
suggest that you post in the following newsgroup:

microsoft.public.outlook.general

If you read the newsgroups using a Web Browser see:

Microsoft Office Online
Office Discussion Groups Home
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx

If you read newsgroups using a NNTP newsreader, such
as Outlook Express, and use the msnews.microsoft.com
news server here is a link:

Carrie,

Thank you for informing me of the difference between the
two properties. However, I still am not clear as to why
I would need to use Outlook's Advanced Find to view the
Company Field in Microsoft Word Document Properties.
This is what I really want to view.

I have Windows XP with Office 2003 and I opened Outlook
and went into the Advanced Find. I click on Options in
Outlook, then on Advanced Find and it relates only to
Microsoft Outlook - not Microsoft Word.

I apologize for the confusion....

The Company column that you want to view (technically, the
property name of the column docCompany), is not one of the
predefined columns that Microsoft Windows Explorer can show.

According to an expert, Dino Esposito, you can define a custom
column, such as the docCompany column, by writing and
registering a shell extension called a column handler. I am not a
software developer, though, so I cannot help you with that. Sorry.
For more information see:

MSDN Magazine, March 2000
Windows 2000 UI Innovations: Enhance Your User's Experience
with New Infotip and Icon Overlay Shell Extensions
By Dino Esposito
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0300/w2kui/default.aspx

Another way to "view the Company Field in Microsoft Word
Document Properties" is to use an application that can show the
docCompany column. An application that can show this column is
the Microsoft Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find
component (finder.exe).

Say, for example, that the file in question is a Microsoft Word
Document (*.doc) and it is saved in your My Documents folder.
To "view the Company Field in Microsoft Word Document
Properties" with finder.exe you would:

- Open Outlook
- Select [menu bar] Tools | Advanced Find
- For the "Look for:" option click the upside-down triangle and
select: Files
- For the "In:" option make certain that "My Documents" is selected
- Click the "Find Now" button
- Select [menu bar] View | Current View | Customize Current
View
- Click the button labled: Fields
- For the "Select available fields from:" option click the upside-
down triangle and select: All File Fields
- From the "Available Fields" list select: Company
- Click the "Add" button
- Click OK, twice
- Notice that finder.exe is display the value of the docCompany
property in the column named Company

Carrie,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! It worked!!! I had to
use Outlook 2002 (a different employee's PC) My PC has
Outlook 2003 and I could not view the standard "File" I
could only see "File (Outlook/Exchange)" so when I
performed a search using my version of Outlook I was only
looking at Outlook documents - which came up with no
hits.

Using the other PC it worked wonderfully! I am so
appreciative!!! Thanks so much!!

Glad to read that it worked! And thanks for the update and the
explanation. BTW, from the way you describe Outlook on your
PC [I could only see "File (Outlook/Exchange)"] it sounds like the
Microsoft Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find
component is not installed on your PC.

According to the following Microsoft Outlook Help Topics:

TITLE: About finding items and files
QUOTE: "Note If files do not appear in the Advanced Find
dialog box, the Integrated File Management component probably
wasn't installed during Setup."

For information about how to install components, search Microsoft
Outlook Help for the topic titled: "Set up or remove individual
components"

And if you have any questions about installing the Microsoft
Outlook Integrated File Management Advanced Find component
you will find the Microsoft Outlook installation experts in the
following newsgroup:

If you read the newsgroups via the Web visit the following Web
Page to find the newsgroup: Outlook - Install and Configure

Microsoft Office Newsgroups
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=prod_office

If you read newsgroups using a NNTP newsreader, such as
Outlook Express, and use the msnews.microsoft.com news server,
here is a link to: microsoft.public.outlook.installation

Again, Thank you so much for the clear explanation. You
are correct that I don't have it installed. I truely
appreciate your comments.